Chlorine bleach

Nickie

Reaction score
Bleach is bad.
There’s just no other way to say it.
The list of dangers that bleach presents are almost too numerous to count:

Reason #1: IT GOES AIRBORNE - Chlorine is actually a gas at room temperature, which makes breathing it likely in most homes.
Reason #2: IT CREATES SINISTER POISONS - In its gaseous form (such as at room temperature, mentioned above), chlorine can create dioxins, a known cancer-causing compound also related to birth defects, miscarriage, infertility, diabetes, immune disorders and more.
Reason #3: IT ATTACKS YOUR BODY - It's highly corrosive to your skin, lungs and eyes, as well as other materials.
Reason #4: IT DESTROYS YOUR CELLS - The oxidation of chlorine may also form hypochlorous acid, which has the ability to penetrate and destroy cell structure.
Reason #5: IT CREATES BREATHING PROBLEMS - Because it increases asthma and allergy symptoms because of the likelihood of inhalation. It can also cause wheezing, bronchospasm and sometimes noncardiogenic pulmonary edema (a lung condition that prevents enough oxygen from entering the blood).
Reason #6: IT HURTS YOUR PETS - Pets are more at risk because of their small air capacity and the likelihood of filling their lungs with vapors.
Reason #7: IT RUINS YOUR GUT HEALTH - Ingestion of bleach causes corrosive damage to the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract.
Reason #8: IT MORPHS INTO ORGAN-DAMAGING TOXINS - When household bleach is mixed with wastewater it is found to form numerous organic compounds. Two of those compounds are chloroform - which can cause dizziness, headache, respiratory issues, heart attack, liver and kidney damage, birth defects and more - and carbon tetrachloride - which is responsible for nerve damage, liver and kidney degeneration, coma and death.
Reason #9: IT HAS BEEN LINKED TO CANCER - Chlorine and wastewater can also create Trihalomethanes, a toxic carcinogen that has been linked to breast cancer and miscarriage and other fertility issues in animals.
Reason #10: IT HURTS THE OCEAN - Bleach also breaks down in the environment to "halides", which are deadly to shellfish, as well as other aquatic life.
Reason #11: IT STAYS IN THE ENVIRONMENT - Organochlorines, which contain chlorine, stick around in the environment for a long time and have been linked to reproductive issues, immune dysfunction, cancer, hormonal disruption and more.

Yeah sure don't drink it. Still it comes in handy to get rid off mold in the house or E. Coli in the well. Also suitable for other serious disinfecting tasks when your health is threatened by microbes.

Bleach is bad.

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be about bleach and ukes. Then I saw who was posting it, and I thought it was going to be a joke.

No, bleach is no joke. Directions for use talk about using it in very small quantities, measured in teaspoons per cup of water. Bleach becomes ineffective after one year. Look for a code on the bottle. A420027 means plant A4 - 20 means the year 2020, and 027 means the 27th day of that year. Beyond that date it will be be ineffective, although it will still smell bad.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/covid-19-disinfecting-with-bleach

Well, chlorinated water is used to kill certain bacteria and other microbes in tap water. And is used to prevent the spread of waterborne diseases such as cholera, dysentery, and typhoid (COVID-19?). So filter your water. Keep an eye out on well water, which can be contaminated with giardia and e coli. I think it's all about balancing risk. My brother had typhoid as a kid, and a boyfriend had giardia. In both cases, they could have died. You can't drink water in many countries because of toxicity, bacteria and microbes. The cholera epidemic was terrible in England. It seemed one area where people weren't getting the disease were the brew houses. So maybe drink beer instead of water?

Only an oxygen atom difference between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide too. But what a difference.
Except for all the memorization stuff, chemistry is kind of interesting.

Well, chlorinated water is used to kill certain bacteria and other microbes in tap water. And is used to prevent the spread of waterborne diseases such as cholera, dysentery, and typhoid (COVID-19?). So filter your water. Keep an eye out on well water, which can be contaminated with giardia and e coli. I think it's all about balancing risk. My brother had typhoid as a kid, and a boyfriend had giardia. In both cases, they could have died. You can't drink water in many countries because of toxicity, bacteria and microbes. The cholera epidemic was terrible in England. It seemed one area where people weren't getting the disease were the brew houses. So maybe drink beer instead of water?

I haven't had my well water tested in the fifty+ years I've lived here. I wouldn't dare! ;)

I use Brita filter pitchers, plus inline water filers. So far, so good.

Top Bottom