Martin Is Open!

It definitely had some effect on the company, even if they didn’t close entirely. Here’s an economic synopsis, straight from the CEO himself!

https://www.musictrades.com/news10.html

Scooter

Thanks! Good article. I wish more people would call it the 1918 Flu, though. Calling it "Spanish" seems to put the blame where it doesn't belong.

I got an email from Martin with an offer for 20% off Martin gear. I don't really need anything right now though.

Last edited:
Martin opened its factory in PA yesterday. This is good news for those of you waiting for an order.

Whatcha waitin' for Jerry? ;)

Interesting history, but he says: "We are still in the uke business. And you know, of course, that the uke is the gateway drug to the guitar." Really? :confused:

I think he got that backwards. :p

Interesting history, but he says: "We are still in the uke business. And you know, of course, that the uke is the gateway drug to the guitar." Really? :confused:

Yes, I reacted the same way when I read that. As we all know, it is an instrument all on its own, not just a mini guitar. I have never heard anyone say the violin is the gateway drug to the cello!

Whatcha waitin' for Jerry? ;)

I think he got that backwards. :p

I have seven Martins. That's enough for now. : )

Definitely! That was a stupid thing for him to say. More people go from guitar to uke than vice versa. It was their ukulele production in the last century that kept the company alive.

My first uke teacher kept a long speech when we first met 'why anyone would want to learn this small and rather limited instrument while they could learn to play THE guitar?' Well, I would. That's why I'm taking lessons.

Yes, I reacted the same way when I read that. As we all know, it is an instrument all on its own, not just a mini guitar. I have never heard anyone say the violin is the gateway drug to the cello!

I'm guessing the comment was more to do with the common belief that the uke is easy to learn, easier than the guitar at least. Still, it's pretty clear that ukuleles are an afterthought for Martin, at least currently.

My first uke teacher kept a long speech when we first met 'why anyone would want to learn this small and rather limited instrument while they could learn to play THE guitar?' Well, I would. That's why I'm taking lessons.

Whenever I hear this (silly) argument, I always tell them to watch a Roy Smeck video. Yeah, that's why... :D

It definitely had some effect on the company, even if they didn’t close entirely. Here’s an economic synopsis, straight from the CEO himself!

https://www.musictrades.com/news10.html

Scooter

Thanks for the article about the history of Martin booms and busts.

Although, I think I agree with most folks here that the one statement is wrong. Ukes are not “the gateway drug to guitars.” For me the guitar was the gateway drug to ukes.

Top Bottom