aNueNue owners, need your help, please

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve totally been bitten by the aNueNue bug! If you own an aNueNue ukulele, please, I need your help! Those who own aNueNue ukes, if you could chime in, and please let me know what the nut width is on your uke, I’d be grateful!

Also, if you could share your thoughts regarding what you think about the neck profile on your instrument — and also if your instrument has a radius fretboard — I’d appreciate it! I recently spoke with a Koa Bird tenor owner who told me her instrument did have a radius to it. I don’t know if this is only for certain models, tho.

Thanks, everyone!

Happy to help, in any way I can.

My Anuenue is the UC200 concert scale Moonbird, with spruce top, rosewood back and sides.

The nut width (as measured by me) is about 36mm with a string spacing of about 30mm from g to A.

I find the neck profile to be one of the most comfortable of all my instruments; rounded, but not too round. It is kind of in the Goldilock "just right" place. The fretboard does appear to have a gentle radius to it.

Happy to help, in any way I can.

My Anuenue is the UC200 concert scale Moonbird, with spruce top, rosewood back and sides.

The nut width (as measured by me) is about 36mm with a string spacing of about 30mm from g to A.

I find the neck profile to be one of the most comfortable of all my instruments; rounded, but not too round. It is kind of in the Goldilock "just right" place. The fretboard does appear to have a gentle radius to it.

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback- I really appreciate it!! :)

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback- I really appreciate it!! :)

I will also say that my Moonbird may be my favorite instrument. See my signature to appreciate the competition for that distinction, so this is not a statement I make lightly. It is absolutely sublime.

My US200 soprano Moon Bird has a 36 mm nut as well. One thing to note about aNueNues is that the string spacing is fairly wide as well, meaning that there isn't that much space between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard. I wouldn't consider that as a deal breaker but it's something you need to get used to.

Regarding the neck profile, there's almost a flat point on the neck towards the headstock, quite similar to Kanile'a necks. Since the neck is fairly thin anyway, this makes it really comfortable, for me at least. Both aNueNue and Kanile'a ukes have really nice playability because of this.

For the Lion model -

Fretboard
Ebony is a hard dense tone wood with silky smooth feeling. It's a stable wood to be a fretboard, adds brightness to the tone, and faster attack. The 44mm nut width along with the 20-fret design, allows for endless tonal possibilities.

I'll try to measure mine (tenor) later.

I will also say that my Moonbird may be my favorite instrument. See my signature to appreciate the competition for that distinction, so this is not a statement I make lightly. It is absolutely sublime.

Thank you, Cluze-- appreciate the help and, yeah, you've got a lovely herd of ukes, indeed!

Last edited:
My US200 soprano Moon Bird has a 36 mm nut as well. One thing to note about aNueNues is that the string spacing is fairly wide as well, meaning that there isn't that much space between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard. I wouldn't consider that as a deal breaker but it's something you need to get used to.

Regarding the neck profile, there's almost a flat point on the neck towards the headstock, quite similar to Kanile'a necks. Since the neck is fairly thin anyway, this makes it really comfortable, for me at least. Both aNueNue and Kanile'a ukes have really nice playability because of this.

Thank you, Dohle! I've not had the pleasure of playing a Kanile'a yet, but I can appreciate what you note re: playability, comfort, etc in the neck profile. I'm grateful for your thoughts -- thanks for replying to my thread!

For the Lion model -

Fretboard
Ebony is a hard dense tone wood with silky smooth feeling. It's a stable wood to be a fretboard, adds brightness to the tone, and faster attack. The 44mm nut width along with the 20-fret design, allows for endless tonal possibilities.

I'll try to measure mine (tenor) later.

Jerryc41, thanks for the info -- I believe that's exactly what the aNueNue web site notes re: their Lion LOUT tenor, yes? Is your tenor orange, too? I loved that model! Sadly, 44 mm is far too wide of a nut width for me due to wrist tendonitis. I was tempted by that model, tho; it's gorgeous! I appreciate your reply -- thanks, again!

I also have the UC200 Moonbird and love it. Great sound and harmonics, sustain. I agree it has a comfortable neck to play. I just recently bought an aNueNue ASOS Series aNN-AMM2 Concert Ukulele - New 2019 Design and it is great too and much less money than the Moonbird. All mahogany and goes about $600.00 or slightly less. Has the same neck profile and nut width as the moonbird. Also, great sustain and harmonics, warm sound. Came with a great padded gig bag. Might be the way to go if you want to try an Anuenue and not spend tons of money at first. I think because it has the same bracing as the moonbird it has that great sound and sustain. Both of these are my favorites, however, the Moonbird comes first. Both of these have a slight radius fret board that you would hardly know but makes it comfortable.

I also have the UC200 Moonbird and love it. Great sound and harmonics, sustain. I agree it has a comfortable neck to play. I just recently bought an aNueNue ASOS Series aNN-AMM2 Concert Ukulele - New 2019 Design and it is great too and much less money than the Moonbird. All mahogany and goes about $600.00 or slightly less. Has the same neck profile and nut width as the moonbird. Also, great sustain and harmonics, warm sound. Came with a great padded gig bag. Might be the way to go if you want to try an Anuenue and not spend tons of money at first. I think because it has the same bracing as the moonbird it has that great sound and sustain. Both of these are my favorites, however, the Moonbird comes first. Both of these have a slight radius fret board that you would hardly know but makes it comfortable.

Thank you, CYN, for sharing your feedback — I thought about the African Mahogany (AMM) models, too — I listened to some sound samples online and they sound beautiful. I talked with Kalei yesterday; he told me that this model and the Moon Birds do have a slight radius — as does the basic Koa tenor that goes for about $1k. Those were the models I had inquired about when I reached out to him and Corey.

The bracing system is actually a good point to raise. I checked the aNueNue website and there was no mention of the bracing system on the AMM2, whereas it was separately mentioned for the Moon Birds, for instance. Then again, I was under the impression that the 1K koa models didn't have the bracing system either but it is mentioned on the website for those models so I'm honestly not sure at this point. If you have a contact for aNueNue it's a good idea to ask directly from them. I will however say that even the mahogany models, new bracing system or not, is a really nice uke also.

Don't know if this might help but it was what I was talking about that the Anuenue Mahogany has a different bracing system. "More than a year of researching and prototyping went into building the ASOS Series. We redefined the ukulele making process and took its playability to the next level. The innovative brace design, balanced with quality materials, led this instrument to be warmer, deeper and fuller sounding than previous ukuleles. It also lends itself well to fingerstyle picking. "

►ASOS Africa Mahogany Series
Africa Mahogany Series used all solid africa mahogany which is has very bright tone, articulate, and more gives it subtle overtones.
- Africa Mahogany II / Mini Concert (model: aNN-AMM2)
- Africa Mahogany II Plus / Concert (model: aNN-AMM2Plus)
- Africa Mahogany III / Tenor (model: aNN-AMM3)
INFO: http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/ukulel

The bracing system is actually a good point to raise. I checked the aNueNue website and there was no mention of the bracing system on the AMM2, whereas it was separately mentioned for the Moon Birds, for instance. Then again, I was under the impression that the 1K koa models didn't have the bracing system either but it is mentioned on the website for those models so I'm honestly not sure at this point. If you have a contact for aNueNue it's a good idea to ask directly from them. I will however say that even the mahogany models, new bracing system or not, is a really nice uke also.

Old thread, but I thought I'd chime in. I've been looking for a concert or tenor koa bird UC3K/UT3K and was considering the UC1K/UT1K even though I love the Moon theme of the more expensive models. I asked Anuenue USA if the lower model birds use the Mount Fuji bracing and was told they don't.... so still looking for a Koa Bird.... I am even considering a LOUT if I can find one....it's so very very orange, but I dig the idea of a Cedar top on Koa.... I've got a Cedar Moon Bird Concert (Cedar over Rosewood) that I love, so I figure an almost Moonbird in Cedar/Koa would sound pretty amazing even if it and the case are soooooo orange...

Last edited:
Old thread, but I thought I'd chime in. I've been looking for a concert or tenor koa bird UC3K/UT3K and was considering the UC1K/UT1K even though I love the Moon theme of the more expensive models. I asked Anuenue USA if the lower model birds use the Mount Fuji bracing and was told they don't.... so still looking for a Koa Bird.... I am even considering a LOUT if I can find one....it's so very very orange, but I dig the idea of a Cedar top on Koa.... I've got a Cedar Moon Bird Concert (Cedar over Rosewood) that I love, so I figure an almost Moonbird in Cedar/Koa would sound pretty amazing even if it and the case are soooooo orange...

I don't think it's a Moon Bird if it has a cedar top. The Moon Bird designation refers to the type of Swiss Spruce they use for the top. But, maybe things have changed since I last looked at their website.

...."More than a year of researching and prototyping went into building the ASOS Series. We redefined the ukulele making process and took its playability to the next level. The innovative brace design, balanced with quality materials, led this instrument to be warmer, deeper and fuller sounding than previous ukuleles. It also lends itself well to fingerstyle picking. "

What exactly is their "innovative brace design", and how does it differ from the more standard fan or X-braced designs??

There are many factors that go into the bracing used in uke design. You can have different shapes, thicknesses, lengths, arrays and locations of the bracing pieces. Yet still be an X or Fan or Lattice style of bracing. Then there's the contact points and ways used to lighten the structure with holes or truss designs. Even the type of wood and glues you use can affect the soundboard vibration. Not to mention the sound hole location. And of course the properties of the top are a factor. It's as much an art as a science.

I just measured my AMM3.
Nut width 36 mm, string spacing 29 mm.
As I used a ruler in a dark room, this might be +\- 1mm.

The fretboard is ever so sligthly radiused. I had it for a long time without noticing.

Top Bottom