Suggestions on buying my first Uke not from China

Ron150

Reaction score
I have some stimulus money and want to buy my first Ukulele. i just have trouble buying a product from China using Stimulus money. I have around $250-$350. Would like a solid wood or at least a solid top Mahogany, Acacia or Koa. I don't have enough for a Hawaiian instrument but would be fine with Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam or Taiwan. What would you suggest? Looking at a Tenor or maybe a concert size. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

I have some stimulus money and want to buy my first Ukulele. i just have trouble buying a product from China using Stimulus money. I have around $250-$350. Would like a solid wood or at least a solid top Mahogany, Acacia or Koa. I don't have enough for a Hawaiian instrument but would be fine with Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam or Taiwan. What would you suggest? Looking at a Tenor or maybe a concert size. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Reach out to https://cripplecreekmandolins.com/ David Hanson
He just had a tear drop concert scale mahogany uke listed for $300 + $50 shipping which just sold to a friend of mine.
Solid wood, built by hand in USA. I have 2 ukes from him and am very happy.
Search the forum, there are few NUD posts for his ukes.

If you don't want US-made or China-made, Martin, Opio, Pono, Kiwaya, and Anuenue make great ukuleles in other countries.

i just have trouble buying a product from China using Stimulus money.
I don't want to make this a whole "thing", but why is it a problem to buy something made in China if you're willing to send the cash abroad by supporting a luthier outside the US anyway?

If goal is to simply keep as much stimulus money as local as you can, I recommend a couple strategies:
1) Buy from a local US retailer: www.mimsukes.com, www.theukulelesite.com, www.elderly.com, www.ukerepublic.com and I'm sure I'm forgetting more than a few. These companies are small shops with big online presences. You won't go wrong with any of them.

2) Buy direct from a US luthier like www.mainlandukuleles.com or www.magicfluke.com, and (again) I'm sure there are lots more to choose from. Both of those companies have options in your price range.

There's going to be crossover too. For example, Elderly has Magic Flukes for sale right now.

Good luck and I hope you get a good one! Report back with what you choose with a "NUD" (New Ukulele Day) post.

Buy a Fluke or Flea direct from Magic Fluke Company or Bonanza ukuleles both made in the USA. They will have something you like in a size and shape you like. I own a Tenor Fluke with laminate top and suggest getting the upgraded peghed tuners and wooden fretboard. But basic will do.

I don't want to make this a whole "thing", but why is it a problem to buy something made in China if you're willing to send the cash abroad by supporting a luthier outside the US anyway?

If goal is to simply keep as much stimulus money as local as you can, I recommend a couple strategies:
1) Buy from a local US retailer: www.mimsukes.com, www.theukulelesite.com, www.elderly.com, www.ukerepublic.com and I'm sure I'm forgetting more than a few. These companies are small shops with big online presences. You won't go wrong with any of them.

2) Buy direct from a US luthier like www.mainlandukuleles.com or www.magicfluke.com, and (again) I'm sure there are lots more to choose from. Both of those companies have options in your price range.

There's going to be crossover too. For example, Elderly has Magic Flukes for sale right now.

Good luck and I hope you get a good one! Report back with what you choose with a "NUD" (New Ukulele Day) post.

Mainland has some good ukes, but I don't think anything sold by them is luthier or US made.

Buy a Fluke or Flea direct from Magic Fluke Company or Bonanza ukuleles both made in the USA. They will have something you like in a size and shape you like. I own a Tenor Fluke with laminate top and suggest getting the upgraded peghed tuners and wooden fretboard. But basic will do.

Magic Fluke and Bonanza may be the only USA made that are close to this price range. I have one from both of these, and I think they are certainly worth considering.

I will also suggest going to Magic Fluke.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I will also suggest going to Magic Fluke.

Agreed, provided you don't mind the plastic body and quirky design. The build quality of Magic Fluke ukes is sublime, however. Other great alternatives have been mentioned already like Mainland and Bonanza. Between these three, you should have a good selection and great quality.

If you don't want US-made or China-made, Martin, Opio, Pono, Kiwaya, and Anuenue make great ukuleles in other countries.

aNueNue ukes are made in China, just saying. :)

Look for a used Martin C1K, should be in your price range and excellent instruments, all solid koa, made in Mexico...

I don't necessarily agree with not wanting to buy Chinese but I can understand.

If you want to get something that supports your own community, spend the money in it. Secondhand is a good option.

I think you should buy an old Harmony or a Regal. There is nothing more American. I like my Harmony Roy Smeck. All solid wood, made of timber that you'd only get on very expensive instruments nowadays.

Put the rest of your money away. When you've played your Harmony a lot and everyone can mingle again, try other people's instruments. Then put the money towards something you really want.

You don't want to buy a product made in China because you want to support the US of A, but you are happy to buy something made in Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam or Taiwan. I am confused.

A Bonanza Homestead would be pretty close to that price.

You don't want to buy a product made in China because you want to support the US of A, but you are happy to buy something made in Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam or Taiwan. I am confused.

I don't see where USA was mentioned, the requirement is not China.

I think the OP needs to be more realistic. As the adage goes: you need to put your money where your mouth is. If you want to turn your back on assembly line Chinese ukuleles, you absolutely have to cough up the cash. These smaller businesses have to charge for the time and effort they put into individualized ukuleles. With that being the case, I don't think you're going to get a solid wood ukulele for $250. You might find a used uke that fits your requirements, or you could find the ukulele you want and start saving a little bit every paycheck until you can afford it, or you can lower your standards and embrace the factories of our Chinese overlords.

Well, lots of good advice. My wife said I was being too Geo-political. We went to our local music store to see what size she was comfortable with. Thinking it would be a concert or tenor, she fell in love with a Soprano size Lanikai with a solid Acacia top for $180. She said she needed a new hobby so she bought it! I'm still looking and will check with Mim"S on Friday morning when she opens up. I'm also planning to go to the local music store when their shipment of Ukes arrive.

Congrats on the find for your wife. I've played several Lanikai ukes, and liked them all.
Mim will steer you right!

Top Bottom