NGD: Pono MB-6 Mahogany Guilele

frets alot

Reaction score
I received my Pono MB-6, Mahogany Guilele from HMS yesterday. This is my first order from HMS and my first Pono. I want to say that I'm really happy with both.

It took about 3 weeks to get it shipped, as HMS is currently working with less staff. But the wait was worth it. The full set-up is perfect. I'm a fingerpicker, so the action is exactly how I like it. Also, I'm loving the 1 3/4" nut width, which is what I have on all my acoustic guitars. The nearly 2" nut width on the Cordoba Mini that I used to own was just too wide for me. This is more like what I'm used to. The Pono tone, intonation, sustain and fit and finish is great. I started out with the A to A tuning, which was nice, but then I dropped down to G to G and I think that's what I'm going to keep it at. It just sounds a bit nicer for the type of music I play.

The Oahu hardshell case is really nice, and it has two strap attachment points on the outside for the shoulder strap that came with it. So, that will come in handy when I go to jams/festivals.

I couldn't be happier. And now, the required pictures.

mpHjqDWm.jpg

Q4cw791m.jpg

lldrNwZm.jpg

y5cUa1Wm.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! I also prefer G-to-g for 19 or 20" scale. What strings you got?

Congrats to you. I love Pono. And I love HMS. My UAS is waiting for the right Pono acacia ATDC to show up there.

Thanks.
They ship it with D'addario Pro Arte strings. They seem pretty good. Do you have any suggestions for my first string change?
If you're sticking with linear tuning, I have two I can recommend. Thomastik Infeld CF127 gives a warm tone with low squeak. The Romero UG1 set is brighter overall with fluorocarbon and a little bit noisier basses but not too bad. I also tried the D'addario "lightly polished" set which also wasn't bad but I didn't like as good as the others.

If you're sticking with linear tuning, I have two I can recommend. Thomastik Infeld CF127 gives a warm tone with low squeak. The Romero UG1 set is brighter overall with fluorocarbon and a little bit noisier basses but not too bad. I also tried the D'addario "lightly polished" set which also wasn't bad but I didn't like as good as the others.

Thanks, I really appreciate the recommendations.

I have just put a set of Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings on a 17" scale length tuned A to A. They have a nice tone.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to keep this information for when I do change out the originals. The original D'Addario EJ46 hard tension strings do sound/feel good.

Congratulations, such a nice little guitar! I am glad to hear that you like it. I was the one suggesting to Pono to make such a model, but didn't get the chance to own (or play) one so far. Hopefully, I will sometime in the future.

Congratulations, such a nice little guitar! I am glad to hear that you like it. I was the one suggesting to Pono to make such a model, but didn't get the chance to own (or play) one so far. Hopefully, I will sometime in the future.
Glad you did! I am impressed by the tone, sustain, feel and workmanship. It's a plain Jane, but that's ok. I had a Cordoba Mini for awhile, but this is really night and day from that. That didn't have the tone or sustain and felt inexpensive, which is what it was. It was decent for the price, but I wanted to try something more towards the higher end, without breaking the bank. It has everything that I wanted, so it will serve me well. Now you need to get one!

I received my Pono MB-6, Mahogany Guilele from HMS yesterday. This is my first order from HMS and my first Pono. I want to say that I'm really happy with both.

It took about 3 weeks to get it shipped, as HMS is currently working with less staff. But the wait was worth it. The full set-up is perfect. I'm a fingerpicker, so the action is exactly how I like it. Also, I'm loving the 1 3/4" nut width, which is what I have on all my acoustic guitars. The nearly 2" nut width on the Cordoba Mini that I used to own was just too wide for me. This is more like what I'm used to. The Pono tone, intonation, sustain and fit and finish is great. I started out with the A to A tuning, which was nice, but then I dropped down to G to G and I think that's what I'm going to keep it at. It just sounds a bit nicer for the type of music I play.

The Oahu hardshell case is really nice, and it has two strap attachment points on the outside for the shoulder strap that came with it. So, that will come in handy when I go to jams/festivals.

I couldn't be happier. And now, the required pictures.

mpHjqDWm.jpg

Q4cw791m.jpg

lldrNwZm.jpg

y5cUa1Wm.jpg

That is a beautiful uke ! As a fingerpicker, are you planning to do some Merle Travis tunes on it ? I have been playing Merle and Chet stuff on the guitar for years and ordered a guitalele so I can do some thumb pickin on the uke. I ordered a cheapo, but if I like the concept I will plan on getting one like yours...I know there is a world of difference in high quality instruments...58 years of playing guitar, banjo and steel guitar has taught me that ! thanks for the post.

Pono makes such nice instruments for the money! Congrats, enjoy!

That is a beautiful uke ! As a fingerpicker, are you planning to do some Merle Travis tunes on it ? I have been playing Merle and Chet stuff on the guitar for years and ordered a guitalele so I can do some thumb pickin on the uke. I ordered a cheapo, but if I like the concept I will plan on getting one like yours...I know there is a world of difference in high quality instruments...58 years of playing guitar, banjo and steel guitar has taught me that ! thanks for the post.

Hi. No, I don't play Merle Travis, but I do a variety of other artists/genres. I love John Denver, but I also play bluegrass and even gospel tunes. After you try out your new guilele, and if you like it, I think you'd love the Pono guilele. Like I said in my other post, I love it so much more than the cheaper Cordoba Mini.

Pono makes such nice instruments for the money! Congrats, enjoy!
I agree. This is my first Pono, and I bought it based on what people said about it here on the forum. I'm not disappointed. I think the conservative look on this Pono is so nicely done. I love it's tone and playability too. It probably won't be my last Pono.

Top Bottom