Broken Tuner Button

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was installing a new set of strings (Uke Logic!) on my Pono Tenor, and as I was tightening up the G string, the plastic tuner button split in half! I was able to temporarily glue it back together, but I doubt it will last long. They tuning machines are gold and black Grover geared tuners and I'd like to replace the buttons with the same or something similar.

My questions:

Would it be easier (and cheaper) to just replace the full set of tuners with four new Grovers?

I see that there are various replacement buttons available from different retailers. If I buy a set of buttons, how difficult is it to remove the old buttons and install the new ones? They seem to be pressed or glued on...no screw. That would be too easy! I have limited hand tools (drill, screwdriver, etc.) so if there are any precision modifications needed to make them fit, I'm going to have to farm the job out to a pro.

I was installing a new set of strings (Uke Logic!) on my Pono Tenor, and as I was tightening up the G string, the plastic tuner button split in half! I was able to temporarily glue it back together, but I doubt it will last long. They tuning machines are gold and black Grover geared tuners and I'd like to replace the buttons with the same or something similar.

My questions:

Would it be easier (and cheaper) to just replace the full set of tuners with four new Grovers?

I see that there are various replacement buttons available from different retailers. If I buy a set of buttons, how difficult is it to remove the old buttons and install the new ones? They seem to be pressed or glued on...no screw. That would be too easy! I have limited hand tools (drill, screwdriver, etc.) so if there are any precision modifications needed to make them fit, I'm going to have to farm the job out to a pro.

Do a Google search for Grover tuners, and look for the and you have. I doubt that Pono has them custom made, so you should be able to buy the same kind. If you're going to replace the whole set, you have hundreds of different kinds to choose from.

Do a Google search for Grover tuners, and look for the and you have. I doubt that Pono has them custom made, so you should be able to buy the same kind. If you're going to replace the whole set, you have hundreds of different kinds to choose from.

I think that's the route I'm going to take, Jerry. I took a look at some videos on how to replace a tuning machine button and it looks like a real hassle. I should have no problem dropping in a new set of Grovers and the prices are not outrageous.

I think that's the route I'm going to take, Jerry. I took a look at some videos on how to replace a tuning machine button and it looks like a real hassle. I should have no problem dropping in a new set of Grovers and the prices are not outrageous.

Some remove very easily - just take out the screw. The trick is finding a replacement that will fit onto the shaft. Of course, if there's no screw, then you have a challenge.

Some remove very easily - just take out the screw. The trick is finding a replacement that will fit onto the shaft. Of course, if there's no screw, then you have a challenge.

Looks like I've found the exact Grover tuners. I just ordered a set. Unless my measurements and/or the specs are messed up, I should be good.

If I buy a set of buttons, how difficult is it to remove the old buttons and install the new ones? They seem to be pressed or glued on...no screw.

For button removal, some have reported success by heating the shaft with a medium wattage soldering iron. Lock the tuner barrel and use a twisting motion on the button (with a gloved hand).

For button removal, some have reported success by heating the shaft with a medium wattage soldering iron. Lock the tuner barrel and use a twisting motion on the button (with a gloved hand).

Removing the buttons isn't the problem, it's putting new ones on! I'm skipping that entirely and just replacing the tuning machines. Not that expensive and I need nothing more than a screwdriver and a little patience.

Top Bottom