Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Default Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Help me someone please I've caught U.A.S. identified all over the planet as an unreasonable urge to by any old Ukulele. It started with a T.V. advert (the background music was played on a Ukulele) the advert was for a washing up soap called small and mighty. My god I'm messed up! Help me! Any way I bought a Ukulele bright yellow with black strings. I couldn't stop my self. I showed it to the guys at the music club and they all laughed at me and said never. A month later I played lead opener and they all slavishly backed me. Then I bought another Uke and gave it to a friend then a bigger one then another came my way. My wife tried to stop me but, what the hell she goes grocery shopping. I even hung a ukulele from a tree at the bottom of the garden. I've got one in my car in my shed, at work. I have pulled one to bits and I have rebuilt two and I have just bought three more to fiendishly experiment with, one gets narrowed, one electrically amplified and the last one gets a bigger sound hole. Please tell me that I'm O.K.
    I've got a unnatural desire to become a ukulele manufacturer with a huge machine for creating Ukuleles. HELP....

Sorry. We can't help you here. We can enable you, but we can't help.

There is no cure, but talking helps. You are among friends.

My name is John Colter, and I am a uke-aholic.

Default I'm so greatful

I'm really messed up but so so glad you're out there for me.
    What do I do next?

Quote Originally Posted by toubisard View Post
    I'm really messed up but so so glad you're out there for me.
    What do I do next?
    Buy another ukulele...it helps to ease the pain. Especially if its unusual (or at least one you don't already have).

I would think 99% of the people on UU has U.A.S. Join the club.

Kanile'a Custom Super Tenor Cobra Slot Head, L.R. Bags active pick up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hf8C...4&feature=plcp
    Kanile'a KSTP Premium Koa Tenor Slot Head
    Kamaka Custom Jake Shimabukuro Signature Model Tenor serial #25http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5eOP...8&feature=plcp
    Kamaka HF-38 8-String with Fishman acoustic infinity p/u
    Kamaka HF-36 6-String White Label
    Kamaka 1960 Gold Label Koa Pineapple

In this economy, it's not worth spending money on researching a cure for UAS. It's a lot cheaper to buy ukes and feed the addiction.

Plus, the more UAS sufferers, the better. This way, your significant other won't think you're an isolated case; you can tell him/her you're just one of many nutjobs on UU who can't stop.

Good strategies include getting defensive or indignant when someone questions your obsession. "How dare you trivialize my condition! Thousands of people go through the same symptoms and believe it or not, it HURTS inside!" Play the guilt card. Also, try to spread the UAS to people close to you, so they won't look at you funny or make your credit card mysteriously disappear.

Default It might be contagious!

I say, passion is good. I think UAS can be contagious. If you have someone who is susceptible nearby (guitar players, banjo, etc) infect them and you won't look as weird. After all, if you substituted ukulele with the word "car" would your activities seem more normal?

If you go with your passion, you will hopefully find a way to make it pay for itself. Necessity is the mother of invention after all. Maybe you will create the next great thing in uke manufacturing!

–Lori

Ukulele Apologists! There are valid reasons to have closet full of ukes. Different tunings, sizes, sounds... I don't hear golfers accepting some sort of illness just because they take 14 different clubs on the course. Its not an illness, its a... necessity.

I've never heard of UAS, but I'm intrigued. Please, tell me more...
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

Thread Information