Mic question

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I have a Shure MV88 mic for my iPhone. I've used it a little bit. My church has started doing services on Zoom, and so far we haven't tried adding music into the service. We might start with just having someone sing or do an instrumental piece. My Shure MV88 connects to my iPhone via a lightning connector. I'm trying to figure out how to use the mic with my older Mac desktop. I briefly browsed Amazon, looking for a cable that has a female lightning port on one end and a USB on the other. Didn't find one. Is that what I need, or something else? I'm just trying to get optimal sound via Zoom if I play music for church. I suppose I can always just stick with my iPhone if I'm playing, but would rather not.

Sounds like buying an inexpensive USB microphone will solve your problems far more easily than trying to outsmart a deliberate ploy by Apple to make integration of their devices with regular USB near impossible.

Just have a mic dedicated for computer use.
Some good examples are Samson C01U, Blue Snowball, etc.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago for $50 and it's been great with my Zoom sessions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DK89QZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neewer mic.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Try contacting Sweetwater Music or other like company who deal only in music related equipment. They have on line people who might be able to help you answer your questions and get what you need. I have had some dealings with Sweetwater and have been very satisfied. https://www.sweetwater.com/

+1 for Sweetwater being a great place to contact.

I not long ago was looking for help in figuring out what I needed, and Sweetwater went above and beyond trying to help me. It ended up being a couple dollar item that they don't sell, but they spent a long time trying to help, (had me email photos, etc.), and couldn't have been more generous with their time.

I plan on rewarding that level of customer service whenever I can. I have purchased what I can from them, and will continue to so.

I can't be helpful with giving advice on what you need, but I am sure that they'll try to help you. Of course, my experience was pre-COVID, but I suspect they're still doing the best they can to provide great customer service.

... I briefly browsed Amazon, looking for a cable that has a female lightning port on one end and a USB on the other. Didn't find one. Is that what I need, or something else? ...

AFAIK, you'll need something with not only the correct connectors at each end but also specifically designed for audio/mic signal. This is because the lightning specification is not just some different pinout from the USB, but it is entirely different with different protocols (basically, the cable needs additional electronics).

Another poster suggested just buying a USB mic; I think that's going to be your best option if you want to use your Mac. Another poster also suggested a mic with an audio interface; that's ok too, but it'll have a lot of things dangling around. Which ever you pick, make sure that the sampling rate and analog-to-digital conversion resolution is good enough for you. As reference CD quality is 44.1k Hz and 16 bits.

I just looked this up and Shure enough (pun intended) the MV88 is NOT recommended for another adapter (e.g. USB).

There are MANY USB alternatives out there...I’ve been happy with my Blue Snowball.

Also...pro tip for the Shure MV88...put your phone into Airplane Mode while recording!

Hmmm. We tried every kind of mic our church had and concluded zoom and stringed instruments don’t play well together. We ended up just using piano or keyboard.

Hmmm. We tried every kind of mic our church had and concluded zoom and stringed instruments don’t play well together. We ended up just using piano or keyboard.

Zoom needs the Audio Settings changed when doing music. Un-check Automatically adjust microphone volume, click the Advanced button, then in that window put a check on Show in-meeting option 'Enable Original Sound' from microphone, then under Audio Processing change both Suppress Persistent Background Noise and Suppress Intermittent Background Noise to Disable. Back in the main Zoom window, you will see in the upper left Turn on Original Sound, click it so it shows Turn off Original Sound.

Zoom needs the Audio Settings changed when doing music. Un-check Automatically adjust microphone volume, click the Advanced button, then in that window put a check on Show in-meeting option 'Enable Original Sound' from microphone, then under Audio Processing change both Suppress Persistent Background Noise and Suppress Intermittent Background Noise to Disable. Back in the main Zoom window, you will see in the upper left Turn on Original Sound, click it so it shows Turn off Original Sound.

Thanks for those tips Mike. I thought my Zoom sounded a bit thin and noisy.

I have a Shure MV88 mic for my iPhone. I've used it a little bit. My church has started doing services on Zoom, and so far we haven't tried adding music into the service. We might start with just having someone sing or do an instrumental piece. My Shure MV88 connects to my iPhone via a lightning connector. I'm trying to figure out how to use the mic with my older Mac desktop. I briefly browsed Amazon, looking for a cable that has a female lightning port on one end and a USB on the other. Didn't find one. Is that what I need, or something else? I'm just trying to get optimal sound via Zoom if I play music for church. I suppose I can always just stick with my iPhone if I'm playing, but would rather not.

Apple makes a Male/Male Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to USB Adapter. Available on Amazon. But it's pricey at $49. I had to get one to be able to use my external hard drive and other accessories with my laptop that only has USB-C ports. It allows me to also use a Blue Yeti USB microphone with 4 pickup patterns. (Which I highly recommend for desktop use. It's heavy, but can also be mounted on a mike stand.)
amazon.com/gp/product/B00VU2OID2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are other brand adapters for Thunderbolt to USB connections that are cheaper. I don't know how robust they are.

Apple makes a Male/Male Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to USB Adapter. Available on Amazon. But it's pricey at $49. I had to get one to be able to use my external hard drive and other accessories with my laptop that only has USB-C ports. It allows me to also use a Blue Yeti USB microphone with 4 pickup patterns. (Which I highly recommend for desktop use. It's heavy, but can also be mounted on a mike stand.)
amazon.com/gp/product/B00VU2OID2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are other brand adapters for Thunderbolt to USB connections that are cheaper. I don't know how robust they are.

But her microphone had lightning, not USB-C and her Mac might not even have USB-C, so how is this relevant to the original question?

I have had GREAT experience with the SabineTek SmartMic. It is Bluetooth so no wires needed. Clipped on my shirt picks up voice and uke/guitar with natural sound. Works with any device with BT. My Zoom buddies always comment how clear my sound is.

Hey Mike, I saw you gave this same advice on another thread and I shared it with my uke groups. This Zoom setting change coupled with a UBS mic really makes the world of difference. Of course, you need decent WiFi/internet connection. And of course, it’s still Zoom. Anyway, thanks for the great tip.

Also I would suggest people record a session and then watch/listen to it. You’ll be able to see if your set up is working and how it sounds to others in comparison.

Last edited:
Hey Mike, I saw you gave this same advice on another thread and I shared it with my uke groups. This Zoom setting change coupled with a UBS mic really makes the world of difference. Of course, you need decent WiFi/internet connection. And of course, it’s still Zoom. Anyway, thanks for the great tip. Also I would suggest people record a session and then watch/listen to it. You’ll be able to see if your set up is working and how it sounds to others in comparison.

Very glad to help.

But her microphone had lightning, not USB-C and her Mac might not even have USB-C, so how is this relevant to the original question?

Sorry you're right. That's what I get for commenting late at night and thinking "Thunderbolt" instead of "Lightning." They make adapters for lightning to USB as well.

Sorry about that.

In addition to this...I do not believe these settings are available on iPhone/iPad.

Thanks to everyone for the USB Mic suggestions. I’ll take a look at Amazon & see what’s available. Big thanks to kohanmike for the Zoom settings info.

Another question. I’ll be plugged into my Roland AC-33 amp when I play. Mostly I’ll be playing an instrumental for church. Should I position the Mic more towards where the amp is in my office, or just in front of me while playing? I’ll be in my office, sitting in front of desktop computer.

Top Bottom