Style of straps

• Clip On

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Button on heel/end of the body

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • Button at the end of the body/tie at headstock

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
The Lakota Leather straps look great but I don't see any specifically for ukulele. Do you just use a guitar strap (which seems overkill) or is there another option?

Get a mandolin strap. My fave is the plain flat inch or so bison strap. They are super soft from the get go and very durable. I’ve had it for years. The suede side stays put and the outside nice and smooth. No breaking in period whatsoever. I also have a flat braided bison strap that’s about an inch or so on the ends and 3/4 on the braided part. While this is super soft, comfortable and durable, I’m not as crazy about the look where it joins up with the flat attachment part. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like a clumsy transition. I would caution you to use a strap lock or as I do, a rubber washer on the end pin. Since the strap is so soft, it can slip off the pin (even stiff leather ends can do this in time, so be safe and get a washer. They can be had from a Fender vendor (Sweetwater and the like) or just from the hardware store, or if you’re a beer drinker, there is a washer in Groesh? beer bottle that works great. If you are attaching your uke/mando strap to two end pins, you just have to tell them and they will eliminate the loop end designed for fitting over the mando scroll. There are several holes at the end of the strap so you can adjust length, though the standard length works for me. If you want a custom length they are happy to do that.

I have a Lakota strap on my guitar and it’s super soft and comfortable. Hubby has a huge one on his PBass. You can contact Kenny on Facebook under Lakota straps. I know they make ukulele straps and they will customize. They have a stock ready to go since the Covid-19 has effected the reservation’s work. Nice guy to deal with. I personally use a length of leather about 5/8 inch wide & I put a slit on each end to fit my buttons. I have many straps but prefer mine to be plain and not noticeable. Love my Sarah Maidel ones but they do show up!

Get a mandolin strap. My fave is the plain flat inch or so bison strap. They are super soft from the get go and very durable. I’ve had it for years. The suede side stays put and the outside nice and smooth. No breaking in period whatsoever. I also have a flat braided bison strap that’s about an inch or so on the ends and 3/4 on the braided part. While this is super soft, comfortable and durable, I’m not as crazy about the look where it joins up with the flat attachment part. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like a clumsy transition. I would caution you to use a strap lock or as I do, a rubber washer on the end pin. Since the strap is so soft, it can slip off the pin (even stiff leather ends can do this in time, so be safe and get a washer. They can be had from a Fender vendor (Sweetwater and the like) or just from the hardware store, or if you’re a beer drinker, there is a washer in Groesh? beer bottle that works great. If you are attaching your uke/mando strap to two end pins, you just have to tell them and they will eliminate the loop end designed for fitting over the mando scroll. There are several holes at the end of the strap so you can adjust length, though the standard length works for me. If you want a custom length they are happy to do that.

Thanks for the information! I'm getting a new custom uke in a few weeks and I was thinking of getting a nice strap for it. I'll definitely be considering one of the Dakota Leathers mando straps. I'm familiar with the rubber strap keepers and have them on a couple of my ukes already. I think I still have a few extra in my uke junk drawer, so I'm all set there.

My ukuleles are fitted with home-made straps. I use 1/4" diameter "curtain tie-back" cord from a local haberdashery, spliced into a tight loop for the button, the other end passes under the strings between the machine-heads and made adjustable with a small buckle from a handbag strap, child's shoe, or similar. The whole strap costs a pound or two and the most difficult aspect is finding somewhere to park when I go to the shop ;)
Given the minimal weight of the instruments, anything heavier would be overkill!

YMMV ... :music: enjoy!

I use only all leather straps, smooth on the outside, rough on the inside that holds it in place. I buy them from Levy Leathers, 1.5" wide and light weight flexible leather, about $15 or so. Every one of my 9 ukes and 30 bass ukes/mini basses has one.

I bought one or two of those straps, but I never use them. They are too big, too wide, and too awkward. In addition, I couldn't adjust them to be short enough - guitar vs uke - so I had to cut new rectangular holes in them.

You did a very nice job of posting those pictures. They look like online ads. What program did you use to add the text? I use Irfanview.

Since most folks have tried many different types of straps, the strap seems almost as personal an item as the ukuleles one likes. For me, the important part is having a strap that does not slide, so the rough leather on the inside of a wider strap works best for me; Once the uke is in place, I know it will stay there. Regarding buttons, I usually like one button plus headstock for soprano, two buttons for tenor and either one or two for concerts.

Shirley, I have one on my guitar too. It’s about 3” wide I guess and it is just incredibly comfortable. Every time my son comes over and plays my guitar, he covets it (I know what I’m getting him for his b’day)

I only use leather straps made by Julius Medina. They are definitely overkill. They are substantial. I seriously think I could use them with a block and tackle to cherry pick an engine block. They have an understated sartorial elegance with their dark hues and stylized tendril festoonings. I use the two-button system and the strap never leaves my ukulele. When I put my ukulele in its case, I wrap the strap around the lower bout and it makes the ukulele fit snugly. These straps don't slip probably, as I said, because they are so substantial. I have never tried any of those garish macrame/knitted affairs, so I don't have a referent for comparison. However my straps seem to stay where I put them.

I have read several warnings about leaving straps on guitars and ukuleles for any length of time. I think Taylor and Martin both warn owners to remove straps from the instrument when you keep them in their cases.

The reason given is that leathers have residual chemicals in them and can leach over time and affect the finish. I have had a couple of poly straps leave the material's weave imprinted in clear Nitrocellulouse finishes. (And one where the strap that hold the case top for opening too far leave it's weave imprinted in the finish.) The imprint was made in areas where the hard case's padding is tight around the lower bout and I had the straps around the left side of the ukes going up to the neck. Had to be buffed out gently.

Haven't had that problem with the poly finished ukes. But I take the strap off if I put the uke in a hard case.

I use home-made or repurposed straps. Some of mine fasten at the heel and some at the tuning head. If they fasten at the tuning head, I tie them above the 1st and 4th pegs so they won't interfere with my left hand.
ukestraps.jpg A re-purposed web belt from a flea market and a braided leather boot lace strap.

ukes reso & OStenor.jpg A couple of re-purposed web belts.

banjolele and tiple.jpg banjolele with leather belt and tiple with South American belt.

Uke strap.jpg A little overboard. (This one's not me.)

I wear my uke, tiple and mandolin straps over my right shoulder, not with my head through the strap. I put my head through the banjo and guitar straps.

jimuke.jpg

Last edited:
I have read several warnings about leaving straps on guitars and ukuleles for any length of time. I think Taylor and Martin both warn owners to remove straps from the instrument when you keep them in their cases.

I always remove the straps when my ukes go back into the cases. I had one leave a mark on the lower bout of my Pono tenor. Fortunately, it buffed out by hand easily. I learned my lesson.

Button on heel of neck and tail block/pick-up for me. Good balance, hands-free, and the strap doesn't interfere with my left hand. I have Sherrins Threads straps on all my ukes. I like the 1 inch size. Each uke has a unique design strap that suits it. The Strum Shop in Roseville CA carries a ton of her straps. I believe her husband owns the shop??? She didn't have a particular strap available online, so I emailed the shop and she made a strap for me.

I use the Strap Keeper from Tapastring on my ukes with pick-ups. Keeps the strap locked onto the pick-up pin.

For the God Tone ResoUke (I'm guessing), did you use a sheetmetal screw in the body or a nut and bolt? A nut and bolt would be totally secure, but I'm not looking forward to taking it apart.

It's a Johnson, but they're almost the same, (probably made in the same factory) so an understandable mistake. I got it second hand a few years back and it already had the strap pins on it. Since they seemed really secure, I didn't worry about how they were fastened. . .but now you've got me wondering.

I just sent David Newland, the previous owner of the uke, an email, asking him. II just got this response:

"Hey Jim,
I'm pretty sure I took direction from Manitoba Hal on that one. It's possible there is no tailblock and I just used a sheet metal screw in the right sized hole--it's pretty strong metal."

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm wondering why nobody uses the clip on style? (I'm assuming that's the one that goes around your neck with a hook for the sound hole?)
Besides the fact that it doesn't hold the ukulele without addition support, are there other issues?

I do NOT like wide straps, those are for guitars. The ones I've tried dig into my shoulder. The narrower, the better, except on my banjouke. It has a homemade shoulder pad due to the weight.
I'd make a lousy vegan, I only like leather, and it has to be soft.

Hi,

I'm wondering why nobody uses the clip on style? (I'm assuming that's the one that goes around your neck with a hook for the sound hole?)
Besides the fact that it doesn't hold the ukulele without addition support, are there other issues?

It doesn't balance the ukulele, so the head is not fixed if you change/loosen your grip, while changing chords.

Hi,

I've one of those but worries about damaging the sound hole keep me from using it.

I have seen incidents with people using the sound hole clip straps. They let go of the uke to reach for something, or forget to hold on with at least one hand, the uke pitches over and bang, right to the floor. You have to keep at least one hand on the uke, or have it tucked under your arm. Otherwise, it goes to ground. Yes, it happened to me. Fortunately with a laminate uke while standing on a well-padded rug. No damage that time. But I swore, never again. :mad:

Maybe Jake's expensive sound hole clip holds his uke more firmly. But the ones I tried were not secure. Nor were the ones involved in the accidents I witnessed.

With 2 strap pins, or a pin and a way to attach the strap to the headstock, the instrument is reasonably secure. Especially if you add a washer-like lock over the pin.

Top Bottom