• Clip On

2 4.44%
  • Button on heel/end of the body

29 64.44%
  • Button at the end of the body/tie at headstock

19 42.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about straps? Different types.

Default What about straps? Different types.

Hi everybody. What about straps? What type of straps do you like?
    Last edited by TheUkuleleStyle; 06-12-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    Benjamin Bui
    theukulelerock@gmail.com
    Mahalo!

I really like the Hug Strap (https://www.thehugstrap.com). Melissa and Erin are both fantastic people and they make great straps in many different colors and styles.

I also like Sarah Maisel's straps: http://www.cheemaisel.com/straps . (And Sarah is another fantastic person.)

You can't go wrong with either.

I like Sarah Maisel's, but I really, really like Straps for Chords. Made in the UK, there is such a nice selection of different designs. The quality is very good, and the prices reasonable. https://strapsforchords.webs.com/
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

I like only all leather straps, no buckles of any kind. Cloth straps are way too slippery and those plastic (or worse, metal) buckles are just an accident waiting to happen. Long ago I had one but gifted it to someone else (who had an inexpensive and a little beat up uke and didn’t care), after the buckle swung into the soft cedar top of one of my ukes (very easy to happen when you are taking off your neck/shoulder), leaving a dent.

I like Bailey straps, especially if you are looking for something a bit fancy. They are a cool braided leather with leather toggles on the end which attach quickly and securely, even with end pin pickup jacks like MiSi, which have a very small lip for strap attachment. For soft and simple, I like Lakota leather. Buy directly from their site so that the most $ goes to the artisans on the res.

Hey everybody. Thanks for replying to this thread. I live in SoCal and there is a gentleman making custom strap out of leather with beautiful designs and carved designs that cost less than $50.
    Benjamin Bui
    theukulelerock@gmail.com
    Mahalo!

Like most people I like straps with a button at the heel and the end of the body. Except on a soprano's shorter body where having the upper strap attach at the headstock seems to balance better for me.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

I will only use two button straps, I feel the instrument is most secure with them, keeps my hands free as needed.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Some beautiful straps up there.

I like one strap button at the base and a connector on the headstock. I find that much more stable than having the strap connected to the neck or heel.

I play tenors almost exclusively. I prefer 2" wide guitar straps attached at the butt and the side of the heel of the ukulele. The wider strap doesn't dig into my shoulder like the narrower straps do. Like Bunnyf, I won't use straps with metal buckles and fittings, but I do use them with plastic ones. So far they haven't been a problem for dings or dents. I do recommend strap locks of soft silicone or rubber that fit over the button and strap end. I had the holes/slits on a couple of man-made plastic end pieces and one leather end that got very loose from putting the strap on and taking it off. One came off the heel pin while I was playing! Fortunately, I was able to hold onto the neck and keep it from falling. So if the strap is getting loose, or you have the type of pin that has a slight waist and no lip to keep the strap in place use a keeper. They are cheap. But the hard rubber ones are difficult to put on or take off.

I used to attach at the headstock. And had the small leather straps with a button to attach the strap. After a while it started to feel cumbersome and get in the way. It was also distracting for me. A friend suggested I try a heel button and I've never looked back. All of my ukes have two buttons.

For my ukes with a pickup jack on the bottom, I use a leather attachment called the StrapKeeper by Tapastring Guitar Care. One of the UU members recommended them to me. It works great and doesn't try to unscrew your jack pin.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Yet to find a strap that doesn't slip, at a sensible price - so don't bother with them on my ukes!
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information