Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone strung tenor...pros and cons

Default Baritone strung tenor...pros and cons

Anyone done this? Pros and cons?

I've had sops, concerts and tenors. I sometimes wish my tenors sounded bigger, but still in reentrant, high G. Only had 1 bari, a Kala with standard bari strings/tuning, and it just didn't float my boat, sounded too low and guitar-like for my ear. How about a bari strung tenor GCEA?
    John

Not for me. I want the lower tunings for baritone as the higher tunings are well covered in the smaller sizes. How about reentrant dGBE?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

My biggest problem with it has been strings snapping. I'd experiment with it more if I found strings that were durable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    How about a bari strung tenor GCEA?
    Sorry. What? You've completely lost me.
    I fit a Baritone string set to my tenors and tune them E,A,C#,F# and it sound s great but I don't think that's what your talking about yet I'm not sure what you are trying to describe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    How about reentrant dGBE?
    I like this idea as well...

Apparently, there are strings sets specially made to provide standard reentrant GCEA tenor tuning on baritone ukes.
    John

I had my tenor reso strung with re-entrant GHS CU-BTR baritone for ukulele strings developed with Craig Chee. I was super nervous about filing the nut to get them strung, but was rather pleased with them (although I don't recommend them for reso). I ended up taking them off because they weren't right for that particular uke, but I plan on using them on a different tenor and would highly recommend them. They brought some of the richness I love in a bari without losing the sweetness a uke has but guitar lacks. Here is the video for those strings so you can hear them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4wIPa_H-Zg

UAS Symptoms:
    Beansprout #346 walnut/cedar - alto
    Mya Moe #2150 walnut resonator - tenor
    G-String CST1 custom koa - tenor
    G-String CB semi-custom koa - tenor
    Deering Goodtime banjolele - tenor
    Risa Les Paul steel-string electric - tenor
    Risa Uke Solid - tenor
    Asonu whale-shaped Tahitian - concert
    Outdoor Ukulele - soprano
    Kala KA-SA-B - baritone
    Kala UBass
    Ohana O'Nino
    Fluke

Tenors sound better tuned reentrant dgbe. And. It's easy to do without new set of strings. Get a wound d string for a classical guitar, and use that as your low g. Then, your e string becomes d, your c becomes b and your g string becomes d.

Worked for Lyle Ritz.

Currently, m one tenor is tuned like a cuatro, as I'm trying to copy Cliff Edwards. But that's another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Anyone done this? Pros and cons?

I've had sops, concerts and tenors. I sometimes wish my tenors sounded bigger, but still in reentrant, high G. Only had 1 bari, a Kala with standard bari strings/tuning, and it just didn't float my boat, sounded too low and guitar-like for my ear. How about a bari strung tenor GCEA?
    Take one of your tenors and tune it down to B or Bb. The lower string tension will give you more sustain and a warmer sound. It’s an easy experiment and might just be the ticket. I have two tenors that stay at those tunings because they sound best like that.

But to get a bigger gcea sound you can string a baritone like that with the right string set.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    But to get a bigger gcea sound you can string a baritone like that with the right string set.
    Any recommendations for a durable set? I'm sure there have been some discussions about GCEA strings for baritones, but I've had difficulty finding a set that sounds good and doesn't have an A string prone to breaking.

Thread Information