Season 435 - Earworms

kolibri

out of tune
UU VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 435!

This Season's theme is "Earworms". By definition, an earworm is "a catchy piece of music that continually repeats through a person's mind after it is no longer playing".

I think many of us have experienced earworms, even before we knew the term. The phenonmenon has been researched and there is more info on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm

But this week, "an earworm" can be just any song we'd like to play. Maybe catchy, or maybe haunting songs.

You are welcome to play your own personal earworms or somebody else's earworms that you know of. And if for example a classical piece has an especially earworm-y part in it, you can bring just that part.

Or you can play any song about ears or worms or songs by bands that have "ear" or "worm" in their name.

Original songs, instrumentals and collaborations are all welcome.
Song limit: One song per day.

- Season starts Sunday, June 14th at 00:01 Hawaii time, and ends Sunday, June 21st at 12 PM Hawaii time.
- Please mention in the video that it's for Season 435.
- Multi tracking and other instruments are fine, but ukulele should be the main instrument.

I'll put my comments on your YouTube videos and don't duplicate them here. Please listen to and comment other Seasonistas' videos.

And please remember that the fabulous Groundhog Year Season 434 is still ongoing.

I'm probably opening up a can of worms here, but the best way to get rid of an earworm is to replace it with another earworm. :)

Playlist

Great theme Ylle! Got a few ideas already!

great theme! very often i listen to a vid here on the seasons and find the song stays in my head for ages afterwards!

thank you for this week Ylle
this Warren Zevon song has been a lifelong earworm to me,
especially after hearing Linda Ronstadt sing it

I've been obsessed with this song since Brian did it for my Australia week. It's the same four chords throughout so I thought I'd play with mixing it up with different chord positions. It's progression that's fairly easy to play pretty much anywhere on the neck.

Thanks Ylle.
I hadn't heard this for decades. I heard it recently and the melody and chorus came straight back to me from my childhood. The original by Verdelle Smith is terrific. A hit in 1966 /7. It was the English version of a big Italian hit. It's an enjoyable earworm to my ears. Good timeless lyric too...in the same vein as Big Yellow Taxi..another earworm.

Every year, I used to go to Hollesley Uke Jamboree. I'd swap songs with Fluff that we'd perform to each other the next year. Happy days. To be honest, most of them get forgotten about - I'm not very good at playing chords which are written down on paper, as you can probably tell from this video. I found the music in a uke case I was posting to someone yesterday.

This is a song about a person who is an earworm.

Last edited:
Clever idea, this, Ylle! My mind has now gone completely blank!

Hello, Seasonistas! Thank you for the first songs. I've put them on the playlist and I'll keep humming. :)

If you are unsure how to find a song, just think about the latest song that popped into your mind, when you were driving or brushing your teeth or rummaging through a drawer when looking for the keys...

This is a new song I wrote today especially for this Season. I would dearly love the Chorus of this song to be an EARWORM for the entire Post-Covid World.

I hope you like S.O.S (Sense of Superiority)

And finally here's a bridge that didn't make the cut.

"We need to leave behind the old world
Create society anew
Or see the majority perish
Through the greed of the few.

PS: I am also playing my new Harley Benton Guitar with P90 pick ups... Oh it's so sweet. Unbelievable quality for the price.

Last edited:
I sang this on the ZOOM meeting last night. I arranged this song for ukulele to try to outline some of the original horn parts....good ear worms!

I was messaging with Jon last night about music, life, the state of the world, etc. As he is also a Jeffery Martin fan I brought up this song, which has been doing rounds in my head the past few months. This week has been particularly hard as my mother in-law is lying in a hospital bed with COVID and experiencing heart failure. She's not expected to make it. My wife flew down to CA to see if she could possibly be with her mom in her last moments. Doesn't look like that will happen because of the risks involved due to the virus. I get that but it's hard to know that she will die alone. So there's that. Additionally, I have friends and family who are suffering in their own way; some have lost their jobs, some are getting divorced, my closest friend the past 30 years needs surgery which will likely end his career. Not to mention all the horrors I've been learning about in regards to the African American community. It's been hard for everyone in one way or another. Be kind to each other out there folks. Wear a mask for God's sake. It's time to come together. Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Thanks so much to Jon who wanted to do this song together with me. In these times, playing music with friends helps.

Top Bottom