Season 435 - Earworms

i watched a film on telly on sunday night, "smashing time", from 1967, in which lynn redgrave and rita tushingham travel down to london and get caught up in the swinging sixties scene there. the film was mad as a box of frogs, a shed load of fun, and i enjoyed every minute of it! it was also full of songs, and this one, the single that lynn redgrave's character records when she gets a music deal, has really got stuck in my head. so i thought i'd bring it to the season! guessing at some chords here with the help of chordify... and changing a lyric or two to make it more about ukuleles.......

"while i'm still young"...

in the gym just before Christmas we had to learn to dance, but there was always a reluctance to cross the floor and choose a partner, cos then everybody would know who you liked. The teachers came up with a partner choosing game and the song we sung was Bee Baw Babbity. it got stuck in my head and I remember the chaos that it created. Explanation at the end of the song.

This is from Jack White's third solo album, Boarding House Reach, a couple years ago, and it's the best riff he's written since Seven Nation Army.

The wheels progessively fall off this one while i try and solo in a key/tuning i don't normally play in, as well as my pick gradually slipping from my sweaty fingers, but after 20-odd takes I'm exhausted, my fingers are shredded and I don't have another take in me

Edit: bloody video would help wouldn't it...

I have a gardening friend who is Geordie, creative and inventive and always good for a laugh, so it was big surprise when in his latest video he said he had lost his spark, partly due to Lockdown isolation... no Juice left in the tank and that he had no enthusiasm for making any more gardening videos. Even though his garden was blossoming it was not enough to lift his spirit. To close off his video he sang Goodbye by Pink Floyd, and it got me thinking about people loosing their jobs through self isolation and the effects it may have on our well being.

Ahoy-hoy
Great theme.
I started thinking about what songs are often stuck in my head and the intro-riff to Layla began playing.
So, here is my rendition of Layla, based on Clapton's acoustic rendition.

I've never thought of trying a bit of acoustic Clapton on the uke I may give this a try,thanks for the inspiration.

Hi, Ylle. Excellent choice of theme!
I've taken the 'haunting' (hopefully in a good way) route for my first earworm. Here's a song that has been in my head for a good 20 years.
A huge, heartfelt thank you to Jon for helping me bring this one home. An absolute pleasure working with you, mate. You are a shining star!
And of course, Joo's wonderful artwork is a pure delight!

You must have better luck than me with buskers Steve,here in Ripon UK only a few miles from you buskers on market days all seem to be very bad piano accordion players sounding more like asthmatic radiators. Of course your buskers have to be licenced don't they ? ours just drop out of a van and vanish when authority shows up.
I think the York buskers licence idea was scrapped - possibly the judging panel from the Council decided they had heard enough. There is still a code of conduct that they have to follow, and a limited number of places they can play. Most are pretty good, but we do still sometimes get the two-note penny whistle blowers.

I had a little time this week to make a second effort. Here's the ridiculously catchy "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" by Stevie Wonder. Initial take on concert ukulele with singing, whistling, and shaker, with overdubs of ubass and brief harmony vocal. How many hooks can one song have?

Always happy when this lovely song gets into my head:
(I honestly had planned to do it as an acoustic uke only version, but one thing led to another.... again!)

won't take long to work out what's happening here.
we're gonna have to take a ride fellas...

The film always takes me to the music and the music always takes me to the film...…...both are equally atmospheric masterpieces and have always taken up residence in my psyche. A few blips here and there but hey It was an absolutely fiddley bugger to lay down and none of us are getting paid for this gig so take It as It comes :D

I told this story once before (UkuleleDaddy's Season 300 - Deep Cuts). This is the song which was my earworm for days, weeks, months, back in 1980-ish. I heard it once on the radio, but didn't hear who it was by. Of course, this was in the days before Google, Spotify, and radio station online playlists. My efforts to find it were limited to singing bits of it to baffled record shop employees, and writing a letter to the DJ who played it (John Peel). Neither got the result I wanted. There were a couple of false leads which I won't go into, but 30+ years later, I finally found it, on one of those wonderful Trojan Records reggae compilation boxsets. "The Right Track" by Phyllis Dillon.

Today I wanted to play Toto‘s „Africa“ for my 365 Days - 365 Songs Challenge. Normally I needed 1 to 10 takes, until I am enough satisfied with the result to load it up on YouTube. But today it was so tricky for me to manage singing and playing with this typical Africa-Rhythm, that it takes veeeeeeeery much more takes. So now I have knots in my fingers and an african worm in my ears :D
I decided to finish and let it be, like it is... Not good, but done :)))))

Good evening from sunny and warm Finland! I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to your songs. Btw, I noticed that several earworms can be stuck in one's head at the same time, making mash-ups and potpourris. :)

The playlist should be up to date. We have classic tunes and more recent earworms, but also some 'ear' or 'worm' songs that are very catchy by themselves. Thank you, Seasonistas, and bring me more fine songs!

Apologies for the interruption, but both wraps have now been posted for Season 434! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom