Season 435 - Earworms

Neil Young has an album coming out tomorrow (June 19th), called Homegrown, which he recorded in 1973-74 but was never released. I have seen it in record release previews that Young thought the album too personal, or that he thought it a very "down" album, supposedly heavily influenced by his break up with Carrie Snodgress. Anyway, this one has been knocking around between my ears all week. I've seen the title listed in some places with the parenthetical "(for Carrie)" appended onto this, but on the original release of On The Beach it's just listed as...

Thanks for hosting Ylle. I hope you're able to get out and enjoy the relatively short northern latitude summer during the pandemic.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Ylle, for hosting this week’s SOTU #435! It’s a fab theme and if I can rally, I’ve got one more entry in addition to this one! So, this entry, well, it’s my ‘go to’ song — whenever somebody says, ‘Hey, Chelle — play a song for us!’ — I play this one! I learned this tune a long time ago — but, I used to play it on my baritone. For this week’s SOTU, I am playing the song on my tenor, tuned down one whole step. Due to the length of the song, I’ve also abbreviated it a bit in my arrangement. :) I can’t ever seem to get this song out of my system, so I surmise this tune, for me, is indeed an ‘earworm’ tune! I love me some Billy Idol!!! Of course, in true form, I’ve had more technical issues making this week’s video — I’ve been working into the wee hours of the night tonight — which it is almost 2 am here — and I lost almost two hours of work on this project due to a thunderstorm. The Internet almost always goes out when it’s storming out, and as such, my iPad couldn’t synch up to the Cloud to save my work, and so -poof!- my work was lost. Nothing like starting over! It’s all good, tho!

Last edited:
I wasn't intending to do anything else this week, but, just at the moment, I am feeling particularly isolated in self-isolation, so I thought this would be cheering ... well it cheered ME up! It's definitely an "earworm" song to me, in fact, I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I recorded it. I changed the lyrics slightly to make it female friendly. I may be drummed out of the Seasons for bringing something popularised by Tiny Tim (SORRY!), but I am making an enormous effort NOT to sound like Tiny Tim here!

Last edited:
I’ve been a good boy with this one - it’s mainly uke!!! :p

However, I recently recovered my old Casio DH-200 Digital Horn - which had been languishing in a cold damp loft for many (30-ish?) years. I was staggered to find that it still (mainly) works (see my second video below for some details if you’re interested) - so I’ve used it for the earwormy bit of this one:

And here’s some info about the Casio DH-200 Digital Horn used in the above video - I know there are a few woodwind players amongst the Seasonistas who might find this interesting. In fact others might too! :)

This is a song from The Lego Movie 2 that seemed like the obvious choice for this week. It's by Dillon Francis, who I'd never heard of, but Wikipedia says he's known for popularizing the "moombahton" genre. This song is such a studio creation that it's hard to play live -- there's no place to take a breath. The Fluke is running through an ElectroHarmonix Mel9 box to get a string sound, and that output is going through a Yamaha MOX6 synthesizer to add octaver and chorus effects.

Here's the song in its original context:
Lego Movie 2 - Catchy Song

Good morning from still sunny Finland, dear Seasonistas! There are 61 catchy and brilliant songs on the playlist now and I've really enjoyed listening to them. Thank you so much! We have two days of the Season 435 left and I believe there are some earworms we haven't heard yet.

this, an original song for the season.
an earworm to me, today anyway.

LOVE IN THE TIME OF COVID

Everyone looks so funny now, after three months alone;
back and forth from the bedroom, to the kitchen, to the throne.
Seems the town's growing mouldy, out my window so far away.
I feel the nostalgia creeping in with the fog rolling in from the bay.

Know that I still love you,
though I'm two metres from your embrace.
I aint forgotten what you look like
even with that mask plastered over your face.

All this talk of a virus makes me remember the day
when I cleaned up your laptop, caught all the bugs and threw em' away.
Now each day's just a rehearsal, everyone's making plans;
auditioning for the new world to come, if this plane ever lands.

Know that I still love you,
though I'm two metres from your embrace.
I aint forgotten what you look like
even with that mask plastered over your face.

Keep your hands, clean -
if only this was some bad dream.
Keep your mask, tight -
and everything's gonna be alright.

I aint forgotten what you look like...

Arghhhh.... Since the concept of earworms has been mentioned here, I have had a number of them blocking my mind from other things this week. Four of them involved colours: "Song, Song Blue" by Neil Diamond; "Yellow River" - by I don't remember who (and probably don't want to be reminded) "Paint it Black" by Their Satanic Majesties, "Black is Black" by Los Bravos and... of all bloody things "Clare" by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Apart from the Stones song, I never particularly liked the others and indeed positively disliked "Clare". The first two and the Bravos' One Hit Wonder, were either sung or whistled by friends on our walks around the local hills. I mentioned to them, that they knew more English than they recognised. Bang! The colour songs were then running through my head for the rest of the day. But why the O'Sullivan stuck with me when I don't think I have even heard it in years, I have no idea.

PS....I have an idea for another entry. I'll see if I get time before the deadline.

It is what it is and it is an earworm..........

We'll Meet Again, originally performed by Vera Lynn, was a WWII song popularized as the Brits sent their sons & daughters off to fight the war. I heard this done by young Dave on a Links & Videos thread here, and it became my earworm for quite some time, so I'll pass it along here. Of
course, I can't sing anywhere near as high as Dave, so I took the low road.

Also, RIP Vera Lynn, who passed away recently at the age of 103.

gpm

Last edited:
I wasn’t planning to do anything more this week. Then this one popped into my head earlier - and wouldn’t pop out again! I think Ylle’s sending out psychic messages! :)

Here is my second and last entry this week. Been massively busy! When I finish a translation I am working on, I hope to get to listen to more entries from this week.

So, the chorus of this one came to me betwixt sleep and awake a couple of days ago and I kept adding the odd idea. Tonight I took a break from other commitments and forged the loose ideas into something a bit more coherent. I hope it does have the simplicity necessary to get it going around your head after hearing it... if so... it deserves a place here. It has certainly been stuck on my mind all day!

Hope you enjoy C.O.V.I.D.

PS Just noticed that it only lacks an R and an E to be Dolly Partons's D.I.V.O.R.C.E. back to front. :D

Greetings,

This is an unusual attempt. I took one of my father’s old recordings from a scratchy record. He sang and played guitar and my uncle played accordion. I let his intro. and then I took over in Italian. I tried a little tremolo. One of my earliest song memories and my fathers voice lives in my head.

Quality may have suffered due to old 78 records.

:)

Well the first things I think of when I think about earworms (what a horrible phrase) are the TV theme songs I grew up with. I really wanted to play this but it is going to take at least year to get to maybe half speed. Aldrine Guerrero is amazing, of course.

Meanwhile, my earholes were invaded by this song I heard Ryan sing last Saturday, and it wormed its way into my brain. Here’s my attempt at Somewhere Only We Know, by Keane.

Now that I have my little video posted, I can relax and catch up on the playlists from the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom