Carol Kaye material and acces to it

Kimosabe

Reaction score
Has anyone here worked with any of Carol Kaye’s books, the How to Play Electric Bass series? It is available as Kindle downloads and they are readable but I would like the accompanying audio and I don’t know how to find it.

I have tried to email her at her website but her email box is full. Yes, I understand she is up there in her years and that she has had a lot her material pirated unfortunately.

I read bass but some of her riffs use a lot of 16th notes and corresponding rests and for those I’d really love to hear them played.

For those who don’t know her very important work the essence of it is to forget scales and rather to really learn chord tones. She started in Be Bop and is a great guitarist. There are some documentaries on her on YouTube that are entertaining and well-worth watching.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, she is just brilliant and really down to earth, a national treasure. She played on everything and with everybody and she started professionally at 14 and many don’t know her. The hour and ten minute documentary on YouTube is really worthwhile. Carol Kaye.

I had some of her books when I started playing in the early 70s.
This is one of my favorite lines of hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQldclTLwM

She was a part of the Wrecking Crew (a moniker she, herself, disdained), as was Joe Osborn, another phenomenal bass player with a ton of hits to his credit.

She played bass with a pick and what I remember from her books about reading rhythms, was downbeats = downstrokes, and upbeats = upstrokes.

Last edited:
Thanks, emkc, for turning me on to her playing on the Kodak theme, really cool.

Down down, up, up. Not too hard to remember.

Top Bottom