LOUD strings?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My Romero Grand Tenor is strung with nylons and is set-up a bit too low (2.2mm - 2.3mm at 12th fret). Thus, volume begins weakening at 4th fret, & gets weaker up the fretboard. I have a replacement Romero saddle but I really like the playability of the present set-up, and the warmth of the nylon strings. So I am hoping that different strings might help me avoid switching the saddle.

My advanced age and hand tremors make it a relatively big job for me to change strings, so I am trying to avoid having to make multiple "trial-&-error" string changes. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments about:

(A) A louder-than-average nylon string brand, if such exists.
If none such exists, then...
(B) Which would likely be louder yet preserve some degree of warmth: Nylgut or fluorocarbon?

If all else fails, I will simply replace the saddle and set-up a bit higher (~2.5mm).

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

I thought that Pepe Romero strings were fluorocarbon. Super Nylguts will likely give you a lot more volume than fluorocarbon, but they may also require more effort to press, similar to regular Nylon.

I thought that Pepe Romero strings were fluorocarbon. Super Nylguts will likely give you a lot more volume than fluorocarbon, but they may also require more effort to press, similar to regular Nylon.
If you say they are f-carbons, I'm sure you are right. My Grand Tenor is so warm & mellow, I wrongly guessed nylon.

As to "more effort to press" -- my hands shake a lot but I still have a strong grip, plus calluses that are thick because I also play guitar once in a while, for short periods.

THANKS a bunch for the advice, by the way. I've seen a lot of your UU posts so I have confidence that you know what you are talking about.

The Romero strings are made in collaboration with La Bella who curiously enough only produce nylon strings themselves but the packaging of the Romero strings claim they are indeed fluorocarbon. Go figure.

Regarding the louder nylon strings, I believe D'Addario Titanium strings are made from a harder material than their regular nylon and they claim they produce louder volume as a result. I have a set waiting to be put on but haven't tried them yet. I'm intrigued by them myself. I agree on the Nylguts with merlin666. They are generally quite loud but quite high tension as well. A decent middle ground might be something like Worth Browns or similar brown/black fluorocarbon which generally have decent volume and some warmth as well.

The Romero strings are made in collaboration with La Bella who curiously enough only produce nylon strings themselves but the packaging of the Romero strings claim they are indeed fluorocarbon. Go figure.

Regarding the louder nylon strings, I believe D'Addario Titanium strings are made from a harder material than their regular nylon and they claim they produce louder volume as a result. I have a set waiting to be put on but haven't tried them yet. I'm intrigued by them myself. I agree on the Nylguts with merlin666. They are generally quite loud but quite high tension as well. A decent middle ground might be something like Worth Browns or similar brown/black fluorocarbon which generally have decent volume and some warmth as well.

My experience with the D'Addario Titaniums were that they were very quiet. They felt great, but volume and tone were not good. They replaced a louder set of stock Aquilas on a Breedlove tenor.

Maybe Aquila Sugar? They seem to be a nice balance in sound somewhere between nylon and fluorocarbon

I don't really understand this so I'd like to post my thinking to get your comments.

Isn't loudness a function of the amplitude (the height of string vibration)? If so, then wouldn't your too-low setup limit it no matter what string you use?

I don't really understand this so I'd like to post my thinking to get your comments.

Isn't loudness a function of the amplitude (the height of string vibration)? If so, then wouldn't your too-low setup limit it no matter what string you use?
IMO, you are 100% correct -- string height & loudness are directly correlated. That's why I bought a Romero replacement saddle. However, there are discernible differences in loudness between different string compositions, so I am hoping to get at least a smidgen more loudness without raising string height. I will try just 1 string change, based on what I learn from this thread. If that fails, then it's the new saddle & a re-set-up to ~2.5mm at 12th.

Comments thus far cause me to lean toward trying the Super Nylguts then... que sera sera.

I haven’t played with regular Aquilas much and so I unfortunately can’t compare very well. But I have a set of AGxAQ on my tenor right now and I have to be careful when playing with others so I don’t overpower them. They have a good dynamic range. And a cool green color. They are also nylon, and from Aquila.

I haven’t played with regular Aquilas much and so I unfortunately can’t compare very well. But I have a set of AGxAQ on my tenor right now and I have to be careful when playing with others so I don’t overpower them. They have a good dynamic range. And a cool green color. They are also nylon, and from Aquila.
Thanks for the tip, Ziret. Those strings are verrrrry interesting, based on a BazMaz review plus your comments.

Aqila AGxAQ ukulele strings are reviewed by BazMaz HERE. However, the link in that review produced a 404 (Pagina non trovata. Per favore continua sulla nostra home page) so I had to search for a supplier. I found the AGxAQs at Strings&Beyond HERE for $5.99 per set. I shall give them a try instead of the Nylguts. Sad to say, the set comes in high G, only, so I shall use a Fremont low G vice the AGxAQ's 4th string.

I'm a lover of Mexican Ranchera music. I just ran across "Paloma Sin Nido" on Utube, by Graciela Beltran. SUPER nice!!!! Once my Romero GT is strung with the AGxAQ/Fremont set, that song is the first one I shall teach myself. Shazam!!!

If you listen to the song, she first sings the verses & chorus and the strings basically play accompaniment chords. Then there is a very short musical interlude, after which she again sings the verses & chorus but, this time through, the strings often (not always) do not play accompaniment chords but instead play harmony, as though singing a duet with her. I want to learn that technique.

Last edited:
(A) A louder-than-average nylon string brand, if such exists.

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

My immediate reaction would be "a set of Aquila reds", but nylguts will do a good job.

Obviously YMMV :music:

Beautiful song. And that is a nice technique.

I hope the strings are worth the bother of changing. If you're disappointed in the sound, concentrate on the color ;)

Top Bottom