What is This and Why Do I Need It?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I've seen this, and the mic and headphones, referenced several times in the past few days. What exactly is the purpose of an interface? My son likes to sing, record, and edit videos on his computer, and I thought this might be something he could use - if only I knew what it was. ;)

I'm sure there are are other brands that might cost less or do more. Any recommendations for a decent quality microphone?

Wow! I didn't include the item I was questioning. The Scarlett 2i2 system.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...odKV5yB8Orsggrd4jb2oHdVsEvFZyDYgaAvcsEALw_wcB

Last edited:
The 'interface' may just be a way of connecting an XLR mic to a computer; for a decent mic, I use a Samson Meteor USB mic, others recommend the Snowball, (can't remember the maker right now).

Blue is the company that makes the Snowball. I have a Blue Yeti desktop USB mic that I like very much. It can also be used on a mic stand. They make several different mics for different uses. From a simple basic mike to elaborate pro use ones and everything in between.

Besides allowing you to connect a normal microphone to your computer, it allows you to connect multiple inputs to your computer at once. Which is great if you are using a DAW (digital audio workstation) that allows you to record more tracks at once.

Hence you can plug in two microphones, place in different locations, for stereo. Or you can connect a microphone and an ukulele at the same time, but adjust volume and other effects on the two things individually.

Also you can't even plug in an instrument with a pick up through an USB microphone.

So, if you just want a live recording of the sound from where one microphone is located, you can do it with an USB microphone in stead, and have fewer gadget around. For what I record that is fine for me. But you can do much more with an interface. Including attaching a higher level microphone than you can buy with USB.

With two mics, the Scarlett 2i2 allows you to make live stereo recording or, if you wish, layer tracks on subsequent takes. Once recorded, you listen to it and perform edits: blend takes, remove funky notes, add fades, adjust stereo image, run plugins for EQ, reverb, master, and export a finished file for upload. If you have a Mac, you already have a decent starter app, Gargeband, but Scarlett probably ships with basic tracking apps (or a link to download). Do you need to do all that? Ah dunno. I love tracking. It's been my side hobby for decades, starting with reel decks and 4-tracks audio cassettes and progressing to ProTools PCI cards and, finally, to external units like the Scarlett (but I use MOTU and Tascam). And, yeah, it can be be a lot more extensive than UAS, especially once you start collecting good mics...

The audio interface is a means to bring sound signals into your computer. The scarlett 2i2 interface allows you to bring 2 lines of audio into your computer, see the specs at

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

They are useful for processing with DAW (digital audio workstation); you can get a decent one for free at

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Besides all those mixer effects, the DAW mainly allow you to layer music so you can record things separately like overdub. Cakewalk also includes many built-in virtual instruments so you don't have to buy external instruments.

Scarlett probably ships with basic tracking apps (or a link to download).
It comes with an Ableton Live license. I haven't been able to figure that app out, but I haven't had incentive to spend much time on it since I have a Mac and haven't outgrown GarageBand.

Input is only half of the equation - the Scarlett also has a monitor output with a big physical knob on it. I like the big physical knobs to adjust what I'm listening to while I'm recording without having to reach for the mouse.

Oh, I should let you know, in case if helps you. I've stopped using my audio interface and DAW for the last few years; I've been using an external audio recorder (Zoom H6) instead.

It is a lot easier and quicker to do the things I needed (like recording piano and fading out/in the vocal line). Everything has to be done more or less realtime (unlike a DAW which you can pause easily), but it saves a ton of time to get almost as good audio.

You can also get similar functionality with a regular mixer and your PC's line-in port. It'll be more time consuming, but you can try it out to see if you like messing around with a DAW. I find that I don't like to because each time I learn something, I forget it the next time I want to use it (because I don't use it often enough).

So, if you just want a live recording of the sound from where one microphone is located, you can do it with an USB microphone in stead, and have fewer gadget around. For what I record that is fine for me. But you can do much more with an interface. Including attaching a higher level microphone than you can buy with USB.

Thanks. I think that makes more sense. Cheaper, too. : )

Thanks. I think that makes more sense. Cheaper, too. : )

Not that much cheaper actually.
If you get a high and consumer USB mic, like the Røde NT, the Blue Yeti or that one from Audio Technica AT2020, it is pretty close to the price of a cheap interface bundle with a cheap microphone.
The highly prized Apogee mic, that only works with Mac, is more expensive than many interfaces.
There are of course more hard to come by high end USB mics and a lot of budget choices you can go for besides those.

If you have money for nice ukes, it should really matter more how serious a setup you want. An interface will be the more serious setup, but will take up more space and raise people expectations to the music you record.

Last edited:
If you're mainly recording live performances—have no need of multi tracking and heavy editing—a nice little all in one Tascam or Zoom audio recorder may be all you need. They're often marketed as DSLR video audio but work great for live music recording. I own several Tascams for live venue recording and, if you decide later to edit, you can always open the files in Logic Pro, ProTools, etc., for editing or even adding more tracks prior to mix down.

https://fraryguitar.com/tascam_DR44wl_review.htm

To record a sound from a microphone and get it into your computer there are two basic functions that are required.
A microphone preamplifier and an analogue to digital converter.
An "interface" is these two functions combined into one piece of equipment.

A Scarlet 2i2 is considered to be an entry level, professional grade tool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom