Left Handed Electric

Buttered Cat

Reaction score
I'm looking for a left handed electric ukulele and need to know what is out there.
Honni make left handed electrics but I'm hesitating as I'm struggling to find any meaningful reviews.

http://www.honnimusic.com/

Risa make very nice electrics but sadly no left handers.

So can anyone give any pointers? What left handed electrics are there out there?

Do you play up the neck and need the cut-out to reach the high frets? If not, the budget solution would be to buy a righty and re-string it. You can get a Vorson / Clearwater LP-style for about the price of that Honni, and the conversion should be straightforward. With high-G you may not even need to replace the nut, and electric saddles are adjustable. There may be some symmetric options (some of the peanuts?) but I'm not familiar with them.

If you have any woodworking inclination you could get one to cannibalize the neck and hardware and cut a new lefty-body yourself.

For a bit more (but in range of your Risa) you could look into a custom build. Brian Fanner (Fanner Guitar Works - buy the electric ukulele ) has a cult following and should be able to do a lefty even if it's not on his standard list.

Do you play up the neck and need the cut-out to reach the high frets? If not, the budget solution would be to buy a righty and re-string it. You can get a Vorson / Clearwater LP-style for about the price of that Honni, and the conversion should be straightforward. With high-G you may not even need to replace the nut, and electric saddles are adjustable. There may be some symmetric options (some of the peanuts?) but I'm not familiar with them.

If you have any woodworking inclination you could get one to cannibalize the neck and hardware and cut a new lefty-body yourself.

For a bit more (but in range of your Risa) you could look into a custom build. Brian Fanner (Fanner Guitar Works - buy the electric ukulele ) has a cult following and should be able to do a lefty even if it's not on his standard list.

Thanks Arcy,
I do have some reasonable woodworking skills but as I have too many other projects already on the go I'm not really inclined to start another one at this stage.

But as for the Fanner ukuleles, that is a very good shout - particularly the Wisp. Something a bit different. I like it. :)

I'll give a second vote for Brian Fanner. I recently ordered a custom SG style bass uke from him and it came out great.

Fanner SG done 900.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Cheers Arcy and Mike. I followed your advice and ordered a Fanner. It was the Pixelator that I went for. My first venture into electric ukes. :)

Top Bottom