Happy Side Effects

NewLele

Reaction score
Hello everyone, great forum!

I’ve had my uke 3 weeks now and just wanted to share a few observations.

My motivation for getting a uke was simply a new hobby but I’ve found some great side effects.

I’m practicing daily and it’s very stress relieving. It’s definitely helping to keep me calm during lockdown!

I was worried that my evening practice would annoy my partner but he’s loving it too and it sends him to sleep (I now just need to get him to work on his snoring to be a bit more rhythmic!)

Last night we had an amazing thunderstorm (England) and we all sat in the dark watching the lightening while I strummed my uke and it soothed my dogs.

And then I realised I was playing the chords in the dark without having to look at the strings!

The uke has quickly become part of the family :)

Long may you continue to enjoy your exploration of the capabilities of the little instrument! And welcome to the forum, as I see that was your first post!

Welcome to the forum!

Ukuleles are a great comfort, aren't they? I wouldn't be me without music. And ukuleles are so immediate! You can play your ukulele in bed. Try doing that with bagpipes!

What sort of dogs do you have? Mine came to sit at my feet in bed because he was scared of the thunder. He's a 45kg Spanish Mastiff. He is still surprised I notice.

Thanks Chris :)

They really are pretty immediate enjoyment! I’ve got 2 cocker poodle crosses. Ones a big lad at 30kg and more scared than my small girl of the thunder. Every time I stopped playing he kept looking over to make sure I was carrying on :D Are Spanish Mastiffs those dogs that have that face that just makes you give them anything they ask for?!

One problem I have now is that I’ve fallen into the habit of strumming quietly with my thumb in the evening so I need to look at proper strumming next before I find it hard to change.

Welcome!
There's nothing wrong with thumbing the uke, lots of Hawaiians do it.
I do too, but I also strum with this:
strum hold.jpg

That's interesting Nickie, is that exactly how you hold your index finger, supported by your thumb? And do you strum the strings with the side of your finger or the nail?

Thank you for the video Clear, it's all helping to see how everyone finds their own way!

I have been looking for a video of a 'first person' view of strumming, where perhaps the musician is wearing a head cam and looking down so I can really see exactly how the hand is moving etc, but I can't find one!

Hey! Fellow quarantine ukulele player here. Just wanted to let you know your post made me smile--learning the ukulele has been such a great stress reliever and serotonin booster for me during this crazy time too--and that story about your dogs was so pure.

IMHO, it is important to learn to strum by rotating your forearm - not by moving it up and down at the elbow.

John Colter

Thanks AviBass :)

Quarantine has been hard but hopefully when we get out the other end some people will change their lives for the better. Work a little less, play a little more, appreciate the simple things in life. I'm missing my grown up children but we talk on the phone more now than we ever did before!

I've not been using a strap on my ukulele so I'm thinking of adding one to help me to avoid moving my elbow when I learn to strum properly.

Welcome to UU, NewLele!

Keep on strumming with your thumb, try the imaginary pick between thumb and index finger, start fingerpicking patterns with 3 or 4 fingers... there is no wrong way to go. Enjoy the journey!

Welcome to UU, NewLele!

Keep on strumming with your thumb, try the imaginary pick between thumb and index finger, start fingerpicking patterns with 3 or 4 fingers... there is no wrong way to go. Enjoy the journey!

Thank you Ms Bean :) I'm definitely liking the trip so far!

The first thing I learnt when I got my uke was happy birthday (for a family member) but I didn't know it was called fingerpicking then!

Is it best to have a short or long nail on the right hand index finger?

I've cut my nails down on my left hand but my nails are about 5mm past my finger tip on my right hand and it sounds strange when I try to strum with my index finger, like a nail clicking sound! Is that right?

Most players like a bit of nail past their fingertips. I prefer the sound of a bit of nail for strumming, but I prefer the fleshy fingertip sound for picking personally. I sometimes grow the nail of my pinky finger out a bit to use it to tap on the top (deliberate percussive effect). I don't like the accidental nail clicking sound on the fretboard.
I've been playing uke for just over two years, and I don't have any other fretted instruments in my repertoire. So I probably should just try to play more precise. Maybe I will get less clicking as I grow better.

That's interesting Nickie, is that exactly how you hold your index finger, supported by your thumb? And do you strum the strings with the side of your finger or the nail?

Thank you for the video Clear, it's all helping to see how everyone finds their own way!

I have been looking for a video of a 'first person' view of strumming, where perhaps the musician is wearing a head cam and looking down so I can really see exactly how the hand is moving etc, but I can't find one!

Let me see if I can get such a view perspective for you. I think it may be useful for many people.

Lots of food for thought Ms Bean, thank you! At first, all the different styles seem daunting but it’s also more choice to find your own preferences I’m guessing!

I just need to do lots of practice and stop over thinking it. I vaguely remember being taught how to read music at school many moons ago but I’ve never picked up an instrument so it’s all very new, I’m loving it!

Let me see if I can get such a view perspective for you. I think it may be useful for many people.

That would be wonderful! And I’m sure helpful to lots of people as I can’t see anyone else on YouTube doing it! The nearest I saw was a cam clipped to the fretboard to show chords but not looking down at the strumming.

Thank you Clear :)

Thanks AviBass :)

Quarantine has been hard but hopefully when we get out the other end some people will change their lives for the better. Work a little less, play a little more, appreciate the simple things in life. I'm missing my grown up children but we talk on the phone more now than we ever did before!

I've not been using a strap on my ukulele so I'm thinking of adding one to help me to avoid moving my elbow when I learn to strum properly.

There are many online jams and play-alongs. My group has two a week.

Thank you very much Clear! That is very helpful :) I’m still struggling with different strumming patterns so I think I’ll get a metronome app and slow it right down. Perhaps I’m trying to run before I can walk :D

Good idea Jerry! I’m enjoying YouTube play alongs so that’s definitely something for the future.

Thank you all for being so supportive and welcoming :)

Top Bottom