Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Side Effects

Thanks AviBass

Quarantine has been hard but hopefully when we get out the other end some people will change their lives for the better. Work a little less, play a little more, appreciate the simple things in life. I'm missing my grown up children but we talk on the phone more now than we ever did before!

I've not been using a strap on my ukulele so I'm thinking of adding one to help me to avoid moving my elbow when I learn to strum properly.

Welcome to UU, NewLele!

Keep on strumming with your thumb, try the imaginary pick between thumb and index finger, start fingerpicking patterns with 3 or 4 fingers... there is no wrong way to go. Enjoy the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Bean View Post
    Welcome to UU, NewLele!

Keep on strumming with your thumb, try the imaginary pick between thumb and index finger, start fingerpicking patterns with 3 or 4 fingers... there is no wrong way to go. Enjoy the journey!
    Thank you Ms Bean I'm definitely liking the trip so far!

The first thing I learnt when I got my uke was happy birthday (for a family member) but I didn't know it was called fingerpicking then!

Is it best to have a short or long nail on the right hand index finger?

I've cut my nails down on my left hand but my nails are about 5mm past my finger tip on my right hand and it sounds strange when I try to strum with my index finger, like a nail clicking sound! Is that right?

Most players like a bit of nail past their fingertips. I prefer the sound of a bit of nail for strumming, but I prefer the fleshy fingertip sound for picking personally. I sometimes grow the nail of my pinky finger out a bit to use it to tap on the top (deliberate percussive effect). I don't like the accidental nail clicking sound on the fretboard.
    I've been playing uke for just over two years, and I don't have any other fretted instruments in my repertoire. So I probably should just try to play more precise. Maybe I will get less clicking as I grow better.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLele View Post
    That's interesting Nickie, is that exactly how you hold your index finger, supported by your thumb? And do you strum the strings with the side of your finger or the nail?

Thank you for the video Clear, it's all helping to see how everyone finds their own way!

I have been looking for a video of a 'first person' view of strumming, where perhaps the musician is wearing a head cam and looking down so I can really see exactly how the hand is moving etc, but I can't find one!
    Let me see if I can get such a view perspective for you. I think it may be useful for many people.

Lots of food for thought Ms Bean, thank you! At first, all the different styles seem daunting but it’s also more choice to find your own preferences I’m guessing!

I just need to do lots of practice and stop over thinking it. I vaguely remember being taught how to read music at school many moons ago but I’ve never picked up an instrument so it’s all very new, I’m loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Let me see if I can get such a view perspective for you. I think it may be useful for many people.
    That would be wonderful! And I’m sure helpful to lots of people as I can’t see anyone else on YouTube doing it! The nearest I saw was a cam clipped to the fretboard to show chords but not looking down at the strumming.

Thank you Clear

See if this helps you

Quote Originally Posted by NewLele View Post
    Thanks AviBass

Quarantine has been hard but hopefully when we get out the other end some people will change their lives for the better. Work a little less, play a little more, appreciate the simple things in life. I'm missing my grown up children but we talk on the phone more now than we ever did before!

I've not been using a strap on my ukulele so I'm thinking of adding one to help me to avoid moving my elbow when I learn to strum properly.
    There are many online jams and play-alongs. My group has two a week.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thank you very much Clear! That is very helpful I’m still struggling with different strumming patterns so I think I’ll get a metronome app and slow it right down. Perhaps I’m trying to run before I can walk

Good idea Jerry! I’m enjoying YouTube play alongs so that’s definitely something for the future.

Thank you all for being so supportive and welcoming

Thread Information