Help with a Gap

Jerryc41

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, this tennis racket build is a learning experience. I'm seeing what works and what doesn't. I have four more rackets that I might convert later.

So, with that as an excuse, I need suggestions for dealing with this gap. I thought it was a better fit earlier in the build, but adding the kerfing seems to have pulled it in. Or maybe I can blame it on the weather. :D

Ideally, I would put a round piece of flexible material all around the joint between the sides and the racket. Cutting and bending a piece of wood to fit there is out of the question. I even thought of putting kerfing there, but it doesn't look good. So, if you can think of a good way to deal with that gap, I'd be glad to hear it. Leaving it as-is would be okay, too.

After uploading the picture, the gap looks larger than it really is, and there is just a bit of a gap near the top.

Gap.jpg

So carve a piece to fit - contrasting color.

Yeah, I thought of that, but this gap varies in size, and I don't want to make it my life's work. In home woodworking, this is where I would put a piece of molding, but I don't have any flexible molding.

May just be me, but which gap are we talking about? The big one you can fit your hand in or the thin black line round the edge?

May just be me, but which gap are we talking about? The big one you can fit your hand in or the thin black line round the edge?

I was surprised how the pictures turned out because the gaps are very small. At its widest, the gap will barely fit the wood I used for the sides, maybe 1/8" The one on the handle side is long, though, narrowing as it moves from the handle.

I don't think filling the gap is practical, even using wood filler. I thought of using something like a molding to run around the entire body. From the front, the gap is invisible, so it doesn't matter, and I built this more as practice.

I was surprised how the pictures turned out because the gaps are very small. At its widest, the gap will barely fit the wood I used for the sides, maybe 1/8" The one on the handle side is long, though, narrowing as it moves from the handle.

I don't think filling the gap is practical, even using wood filler. I thought of using something like a molding to run around the entire body. From the front, the gap is invisible, so it doesn't matter, and I built this more as practice.

Okay, Jerry - you answered the question. This is for practice. So try these two options:

1) Take your sawdust, mix it with epoxy, and fill the gap like Spackle; or
2) It is the back of the instrument. Who is going to see it when you play? Ignore it, and fit the next one a little better.

-Kurt​

Okay, Jerry - you answered the question. This is for practice. So try these two options:

1) Take your sawdust, mix it with epoxy, and fill the gap like Spackle; or
2) It is the back of the instrument. Who is going to see it when you play? Ignore it, and fit the next one a little better.

-Kurt​

Right on both counts. I don't like to throw anything away - including sawdust. I have quite a bit of mahogany available. The wood on the uke is cherry, but I don't have much of that. When I combine it with Titebond Translucent glue, it should - be interesting.

Top Bottom