How to chunk

AviBass

Reaction score
Looking for advice on chunking the ukulele.So I watched Aldrine's video and Cynthia Lin's video from youtube on how to chuck the ukulele, and I've got it more or less down, but every time i do, the strings squeak a little. Does this have to do with my uke or with my me?
Thanks!

I have the same squeaky problem sometimes when I'm changing chords (like my fingers are sticking to the strings) so I'm looking forward to the answers you get AviBass!

Cynthia Lin's videos are very helpful too.

Looking for advice on chunking the ukulele.So I watched Aldrine's video and Cynthia Lin's video from youtube on how to chuck the ukulele, and I've got it more or less down, but every time i do, the strings squeak a little. Does this have to do with my uke or with my me?
Thanks!

Practice. During the first uke fest I attended, one of the instructor/performers did that. I saw him later, and I asked him how he did it. He had to think and go through the process. I think it's a lot like finger picking. At our weekly sessions, someone always asks the leader what picking pattern he is using. He has to stop and think and go through it. It's not a conscious counting - just playing it by ear. I've seen several different ways to chuck/chunk. Just play around with it till you get something that works for you.

With nylon strings, squeaks are down to sticky fingers.
Try a light dusting of talc on your fingertips to prove or disprove the point.
As for a more permanent solution ... wait for it ... practice ;)
You need to be lifting your fingertips vertically from the fretboard, not sliding them from one point to another ;)

YMMV :music:

I couldn't do decent chunks for the life of me. No matter how hard I tried. Then I realized I was trying to slap my hand down and bang the strings into the fretboard. I started to do it lightly and voila! It's faster, easier and sounds great. Try just lightly touching the strings with the edge of your palm. Then just a tiny bit more pressure than that. Until it works for you.

Two ways to do it....

If you strum using all 4 finger nails, use the palm/heel of your hand.

If you strum with a finger, use the heel of your thumb.

It seems like the younger ukers, the kids, are the best at this. I've been playing for almost 9 years and I still suck at chunking. I can only do it in one strumming pattern, and of course, it only works for about 4 songs.
It's part of almost every young ukers performance these days. Feng E is a master at it. He uses both hands.

Top Bottom