What different size ukes do you own and play in 2020?

Doc_J

Reaction score
What different size ukes do you own and play in 2020?

Check all the sizes that you currently play in 2020. I’m not asking your favorite, but just what all sizes do you really play. I’m listing the big four sizes: soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. Really, there’s a continuum of sizes. If you play a 15-inch scale super soprano, it’s a soprano if you think of as a soprano. You’ll have to decide yourself in some cases. If you have a large body & scale tenor maybe it’s a baby baritone for you. Just say it is the size that you consider it is.

I’m pretty sure that the tenor size will be the most played. But, I’m curious what all sizes people are playing these days.

Personally, I currently play soprano, tenor, and baritone sizes. It’s not that I don’t like or haven’t played lots of concert ukes. I just don’t own a concert uke in 2020.

I own 4 ukes, and all of them are concerts. My Cocobollo is a 16 inch scale concert, the others are standard 15 inch scale. I've tried other sizes in the past, and found concert to be my happy place.

I own about 20 ukes and the majority are soprano.

I sold my Ohana soprano last week. I had loaned it to a lady during the holidays and actually forgot about it. She called last week and wondered if I would sell it to her. It is the first ukulele I've sold and the only ukulele that I've owned that wasn't a concert. It
leaves me with three concert size ukuleles. Two of those three I play pretty regularly.

New to uke here, so I only have one: a tenor. I'd really like to get my hands on each of the other sizes/scales, though.

Slightly OT, but it may also be interesting to hear what everyone started on.

My signature below tells the tale pretty succinctly!

Scooter

One baritone, two tenors, two concerts, all but the travel concert get regular play time. My gold label Kamaka soprano never gets play time:(

One Baritone, three Tenors, and three Concerts. I have an additional concert coming in a few weeks that's currently being built.

I've got a couple of dozen (I think) sopranos, one concert, one tenor. The latter two are hardly ever played.

John Colter

I'm a tenor girl, love the bigger sound. I do have two sopranos because they're too darn cute to resist. I just got my first concert, a Cocobolo, because apparently I put my name in the lottery for it and I happened to win. It's got a big voice, though, and does round out the group a bit.

Sounds like you intended a poll but didn't connect it.

Since the shutdown I've played baritone, bass, and tenor (& piano, but that's farther from ukeland than the bass is).
The soprano and concert lost their play time to COVID19 - the soprano is locked away in my office, and the concert lost its spot on the wall by my bed when the ukes that'd been in cases and dedicated to playing out shuffled into the at-home slots.

As my signature shows, I have 9 tenor ukes, all cutaway and rotate through them regularly. I also play bass uke even more, plus mini bass guitars that are close to bass uke size. I have 30 of those.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Since 2012 my one and only uke is a concert Flea.

I've been very happy with it, and find it effortless to play. :)

Since getting it I have no interest in looking at any others, no matter the scale length nor materials it is made from.

Soprano all the way. I have a tenor Brueko tuned down like a cuatro for Cliff edwards stuff, and a baritone tuned like a reentrant baritone. But they rarely see daylight. I think it is time to move them on.

I have and play 5 concert scale ukuleles one of which is a long neck soprano.

If I could only have one, it would be a concert. Love 'em. They hit the sweet spot, size wise and tonally. I've taken to tuning them to B lately.
Second in preference is the tenor size and I tune them to Bb -
Sopranos round it up but I seldom play them, with the exception of my Kiwaya KS-1 which hangs on the wall in the living room, so it gets more playing than my "better" sopranos.
Baritones can go hang for all I care. I've got one - but I hardly ever play it and when I do, I wonder why I have one in the first place. The lone exception is my 17 fret tenor banjo which has a 21 inch scale - I string it with nylgut and tune and play it as a uke - so it's basically a baritone.

I only play long-neck tenors, one Kamaka and a custom uke that copied the Kamaka's scale. I like having 19 frets and having the highest note being an E since 90% of the time I play in the key of E.

All concert now. I've tried tenor and soprano, but my fingers are cranky, and are only happy with concerts.

Top Bottom