What different size ukes do you own and play in 2020?

I've been playing my tenors most, followed by my baritone every few days. I tune the soprano we have maybe every ten days or so. It' s a quick check to make sure it stays ok.

I own one concert and two tenors.....they all get played over the course of a month.....I've played a few sopranos here and there.....maybe one day......played a lovely Kinnard longneck soprano.....now that was joy.....if I ever buy another uke it will likely be a concert or tenor or long neck soprano......I'd like to try a resonator but Nationals are pretty much out of my cost range.....perhaps a Beltona, used Mya Moe, or something else>>>>>what ever might be next if it doesn't work for me I'd likely pass it on.....the three I have I'm happy with so to add another it's got to "fit" and sound right....

Two tenors and a concert long neck. All three get about the same amount of time at home depending on what songs I am playing, but the long neck goes with me when I travel since it fits in a concert case. So overall, it gets played the most.

I play mostly the long neck soprano; but I also play concert and regular soprano sizes.

Strictly tenors. Several 17" & two 18" scales.

Well, that's not strictly true. I have a concert FS Backpacker & a KM soprano. It's been around a year since I played either one.

Soprano's almost exclusively. I've kept one concert that I rarely play, and have re-homed everything else.

One tenor, one baritone, one 11-1/8" (piccolo?), one super-tenor. They're all my favorite, but, the Lohanu tenor gets the most attention.

I'm a tenor girl, love the bigger sound. I do have two sopranos because they're too darn cute to resist. I just got my first concert, a Cocobolo, because apparently I put my name in the lottery for it and I happened to win. It's got a big voice, though, and does round out the group a bit.

Cadia, may we see pics of your Cocobolo Ukulele?

I Play nothing but concert scale ukes. I don't care for the sound of a soprano when I play it, a tenor forces me to have to reach too far with the left, and baritones, well, they can go hang, as someone else already stated. If I were proficient at clawhammer, maybe I'd play one, they annoy me when strummed.

I play baritones at group sessions:
- (primary) Kala CTG APB - DGBE 20" fluorocarbon
- (other) Kala GTR - DGBE 21.5" steel string
- (other) Goldtone AC4 banjo - DGBE 22.5" steel or fluorocarbon

GCEA only for uke demo/intro sessions:
- (instructor/loaner) Kala tenor thinline - 17"
- (loaner) Cordoba concert - 15"
- (loaner) Kala soprano long neck - 15"
- (loaner) Goldtone AC4 banjo - 22.5" GCEA flurocarbon

Cheers.

Last edited:
I play both concert and soprano. Too lazy to type. Pic speaks for itself :)

Ukulele_Kala_s.jpg

Huh, I really expected more people would say they like to rotate through all four sizes.

I owned a single, Larrivee dreadnought for decades, and while I sometimes thought about other sizes like a jumbo baritone or a concert/00, I never really looked for another guitar.

In the relatively short time I've had with ukes, I've really enjoyed having a variety of sizes/options, even though I don't want to own too many ukes. Concerts and tenors are my favorite, though I still feel like I'm searching for just the right instruments in those sizes. I spend more time on sopranos than I expected to. And when I want something different, I'll grab a baritone.

I've never understood long-neck models, but seeing different people's answers, especially folks who just like one or two sizes, they make more sense now.

1 Sopranino, 2 Soprano and 2 Concert scale. Play almost exclusively Soprano, but give the others a run now and then!

My collection consists mainly of concert & tenor scales, different body types & sizes, plus a couple of baritones.
When I play them these days, it's usually a tenor scale, mostly, with a concert sized body.
But, if I want to just try something out, it'll be a concert scale with soprano body.

The only ones I really play are my two concerts. I'll occasionally pull the soprano. Have handmade banjo ukes with concert and soprano necks that I pull sometimes. My Mainland concert fits my hands the best, but I love the sound of my cedar Kala.

Top Bottom