Jet / Performax 10-20 repair Yet Again

Timbuck

Reaction score
I said in a previous thread that I wouldnt be making any more repair kits for this thickness sander 10-20 stripped thread problem, due to a new model that has come out with the problem solved.
But I am still getting a steady flow of PM's and eMails from owners of the older models asking about them... As this fix allows these old machines to carry on being used for many years to come, it's a cheaper option than buying the new model..So I have been persuaded into making up another batch..the materials will be arriving here some time next week and I will be putting the ukulele building on one side for a while...I was getting fed up of making sopranos anyway ;)
IMG_3336 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Will you be finishing the tenors?

Not for a while I’ve made a few parts for em and put them on one side for when I get in the right mood....I haven’t been very productive for the last month but I’ve still got a couple of Koa sopranos on the go...and a couple of mahogany seconds to sell with minor defects.

Not for a while I’ve made a few parts for em and put them on one side for when I get in the right mood....I haven’t been very productive for the last month but I’ve still got a couple of Koa sopranos on the go...and a couple of mahogany seconds to sell with minor defects.
Mahalo! Will keep an eye out for them.

Hi ken , how goes the 10/20 repair kit ? can you email when ready please ? thank you

I said in a previous thread that I wouldnt be making any more repair kits for this thickness sander 10-20 stripped thread problem, due to a new model that has come out with the problem solved.
But I am still getting a steady flow of PM's and eMails from owners of the older models asking about them... As this fix allows these old machines to carry on being used for many years to come, it's a cheaper option than buying the new model..So I have been persuaded into making up another batch..the materials will be arriving here some time next week and I will be putting the ukulele building on one side for a while...I was getting fed up of making sopranos anyway ;)
, on Flickr

It's amazing what you can do with that 3D printer. :D :D :D

According to a blog I read online....Jet have finally admitted that there is a flaw on the design of the old 10-20 ..I understand that if you are still under the 5 year warranty they will replace the arm and spindle for free (I think that is excellent backup service)...the replacement arm has been modified with a steel liner in the lug where the aluminium threads have been stripping. However if the 5 year warranty has expired then you will have to pay full price for the part plus shipping ..this will cost about £150 or more depending where you live.
Here is a photo of the old stripped arm on the left and the replacement with the steel insert on the right ..hard to spot the difference due to the paint job....I still think that a steel nut/bush on a steel spindle tho better than it was, is not an ideal combination..bronze or cast iron would be better.
2BDEE380-8297-412D-B56E-20C16B1A400F by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Ken. I bought my 10-20 secondhand and have no problem to date. As a safeguard against future failure, I've just this morning bought one of your repair kits listed on Ebay. If Jet want £150 + now, it will only be more in the future should my unit fail-seems to me that having your repair kit in my workshop is a good insurance policy.

According to a blog I read online....Jet have finally admitted that there is a flaw on the design of the old 10-20 ..I understand that if you are still under the 5 year warranty they will replace the arm and spindle for free (I think that is excellent backup service)...the replacement arm has been modified with a steel liner in the lug where the aluminium threads have been stripping. However if the 5 year warranty has expired then you will have to pay full price for the part plus shipping ..this will cost about £150 or more depending where you live.
Here is a photo of the old stripped arm on the left and the replacement with the steel insert on the right ..hard to spot the difference due to the paint job....I still think that a steel nut/bush on a steel spindle tho better than it was, is not an ideal combination..bronze or cast iron would be better.

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JWDS-102...t=&hvlocphy=9004811&hvtargid=pla-829955054864

You tube reply list to video of repair kit.

Bill webb
1 year ago
Hi Ken just seen your post as my 10-20 has just stripped, as well, do you still make this part ? Or tell me where I could get this from ?
Many thanks
Bill (wombats Woodshop)

Ramon Tristani
1 year ago
Do you still make these parts? I need this repair kit. How much do you sell it for?

glenn gulley
3 years ago
i just broke the same part last night. where can I get this part. as u probably know the new piece is 200 from jet

Lars Hansen
4 days ago
I broke mine for an hour ago.
Where can I get a repair kit? I deeply hope that someone could help me.

Simon M Bush
2 years ago
Ken, are you still making the kits? I've just bought a Jet 10-20 and would like to buy your repair kit. Simon alias Urbansheepdog of old!

Dan Edewaard
1 year ago
Very nice repair! Better than original!!!!

Rolando Meds
4 years ago
I have the same problem, can you replicate that part and maybe I can buy it off of you?

Hide 2 replies

Rolando Meds
4 years ago
Or where can I get it or something

glenn gulley
3 years ago
Rolando Medestomas, hello my name is Glenn Gulley and was wondering if you was able to come up with a solution for your sander. i just stripped the same piece on mine

Devin Comiskey
2 years ago
I can't believe that Jet isn't fixing these for EVERYONE. Mine just dropped the other day and I'm furious!!

Hide 4 replies

Eric Hughes
2 years ago
Mine dropped late October 2018. I contacted Jet and they sent me the replacement part. Mine was covered under the warranty. I just had to show proof of purchase and pictures. Took over four months to get it though. Had to send several emails asking about the progress since they were on backorder.

Devin Comiskey
2 years ago
I went ahead and contacted Ken, so he's doing the part for me. I got mine over a year ago, so I'm out of the (crappy, worthless) 90-day warranty. @Eric Hughes

Ramon Tristani
1 year ago
Mine just dropped today. I too am FURIOUS

Ramon Tristani
1 year ago
@Devin Comiskey How were you able to contact him?

Last edited:
Up to now I made and sold almost 50 of these since my machine broke down and i'm still getting enquiries ... So i've ordered some more materials and will be starting another batch next week..It's time I did some metalwork co's wood working was getting a bit boring.

Wouldn't a new treaded steel bar mounted on top of the arm assembly work?

Top Bottom