Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet / Performax 10-20 repair Yet Again

Default Jet / Performax 10-20 repair Yet Again

I said in a previous thread that I wouldnt be making any more repair kits for this thickness sander 10-20 stripped thread problem, due to a new model that has come out with the problem solved.
    But I am still getting a steady flow of PM's and eMails from owners of the older models asking about them... As this fix allows these old machines to carry on being used for many years to come, it's a cheaper option than buying the new model..So I have been persuaded into making up another batch..the materials will be arriving here some time next week and I will be putting the ukulele building on one side for a while...I was getting fed up of making sopranos anyway
    IMG_3336 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 06-19-2020 at 11:40 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Will you be finishing the tenors?

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    Will you be finishing the tenors?
    Not for a while I’ve made a few parts for em and put them on one side for when I get in the right mood....I haven’t been very productive for the last month but I’ve still got a couple of Koa sopranos on the go...and a couple of mahogany seconds to sell with minor defects.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Not for a while I’ve made a few parts for em and put them on one side for when I get in the right mood....I haven’t been very productive for the last month but I’ve still got a couple of Koa sopranos on the go...and a couple of mahogany seconds to sell with minor defects.
    Mahalo! Will keep an eye out for them.

Hi ken , how goes the 10/20 repair kit ? can you email when ready please ? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by steve meredith View Post
    Hi ken , how goes the 10/20 repair kit ? can you email when ready please ? thank you
    I'm doing a small batch at the moment ... The first off the line will be done by the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I said in a previous thread that I wouldnt be making any more repair kits for this thickness sander 10-20 stripped thread problem, due to a new model that has come out with the problem solved.
    But I am still getting a steady flow of PM's and eMails from owners of the older models asking about them... As this fix allows these old machines to carry on being used for many years to come, it's a cheaper option than buying the new model..So I have been persuaded into making up another batch..the materials will be arriving here some time next week and I will be putting the ukulele building on one side for a while...I was getting fed up of making sopranos anyway
    , on Flickr
    It's amazing what you can do with that 3D printer.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

All done and listed .....Now for a tidy up in the workshop.. and then back to making sawdust again.
    293AA62A-D4A8-4038-8484-5BFDA52B9D4D by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 07-06-2020 at 07:38 AM.

According to a blog I read online....Jet have finally admitted that there is a flaw on the design of the old 10-20 ..I understand that if you are still under the 5 year warranty they will replace the arm and spindle for free (I think that is excellent backup service)...the replacement arm has been modified with a steel liner in the lug where the aluminium threads have been stripping. However if the 5 year warranty has expired then you will have to pay full price for the part plus shipping ..this will cost about £150 or more depending where you live.
    Here is a photo of the old stripped arm on the left and the replacement with the steel insert on the right ..hard to spot the difference due to the paint job....I still think that a steel nut/bush on a steel spindle tho better than it was, is not an ideal combination..bronze or cast iron would be better.
    2BDEE380-8297-412D-B56E-20C16B1A400F by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 07-06-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Hi Ken. I bought my 10-20 secondhand and have no problem to date. As a safeguard against future failure, I've just this morning bought one of your repair kits listed on Ebay. If Jet want £150 + now, it will only be more in the future should my unit fail-seems to me that having your repair kit in my workshop is a good insurance policy.

Thread Information