Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing strings and pinned bridge

All good advise above. Pins are nothing to be afraid of and your not going to hurt your ukulele, it isn't that fragile. Don't try to pound them in with something though. Saw a picture of a guitar where someone used a hammer. The trick is not how tight they go in, it is that you get them all the way in with the slots in the right direction and that they set themselves properly.

One more tip. Sometimes it they are stubborn about coming out, if you push the loose string down into the body of the ukulele it will allow the knot to slip down and it will help it to unlock a little easier.
    Last edited by Rllink; 06-22-2020 at 03:53 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I did it! I changed the strings and the uke (and my mental health) is still in one peace. It was easy! The pinns were very easily removed just by fingers, so my fancy tool is left for my husband to use with his guitarres. No flying pins or broken tops.
    Ortega RU11 concert
    Kanile'a concert

Congrats! One thing I hate to see people do is pay a shop to change strings for them. I learned how as soon as I wore out my 1st set.
    The only time I paid someone else to do it, he didn't do it right.....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Congratulations on the string change . I've learned more from my mistakes with my Kanilea than when all goes well. I've had a flying pin and strings in the past and have learned to do it right since then. I learned to tie stopper knots on the strings (Ashley is my favorite), but as mentioned in all the good advice above, using beads is a better, safe solution that I'm now using.

One thing I learned that wasn't mentioned here is that if you're using a stopper know, make sure it's large enough; not just because it might slip, but if it's too small - but large enough not to slip out - it's possible that it could chew up the hole a little. I did that with a Martin 600 A string. It wasn't a big deal and I just made sure that I didn't do it again, so no real damage other than to my uke ocd.

Quote Originally Posted by Loska View Post
    I did it! I changed the strings and the uke (and my mental health) is still in one peace. It was easy! The pinns were very easily removed just by fingers, so my fancy tool is left for my husband to use with his guitarres. No flying pins or broken tops.
    Brava! It gets easier the more times you do it.

One time I was changing strings on my 8-string and trimming off the long ends at the tuning pegs. When I was distracted, and I accidentally cut through both A-strings with the cutters as well as the end. My only defense is that the strings were clear. I had to wait two weeks before my re-ordered Living Waters set arrived to replace the A-strings.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information