Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low G sting options

Default Low G sting options

Hello guys! So, here is what I have

Some time ago it tried a low G option on my tenors and while it was fun I didn't like it as for some reason it would sound odd compare to other three strings. I like fluorocarbon strings in general and used a set of D'Addario fluorocarbon's with low G. At that time someone suggested I may like Fremont Soloist wounded low G better. I bought it and tried it. Indeed it was a little better, but it still sounded a kind of odds. So, I took it off and left it in the drawer.

Recently I bought a new high end Mahogany uke. After playing with it for a few days I remembered about Fremont Soloist low G sitting in the drawer. I put it on and I like the sound. It still sounds just a bit odd, but much less so than before on other ukes. So, I wanted to try a fluorocarbon low G, but it did not fit at the bridge, as the slot is too narrow for the diameter of the string!

So my question is: would you have any recommendations for other low G strings I can try? It has to be thinner, like Fremont, but may be some other brands/ materials? I'd like to try a few and see which one I like best. (For reference Fremont I have is 0.031 in)

Thank you.

If you bought the low G in itself and not as part of a carefully matched set then it is no surprise that it sounded different than the other three strings. Though with wound strings they change over time when they are really crisp new and then mellow out before they fall apart. I was not aware that d'addario had a set with low G plain fluorocarbon so am curious what set that was.

As for bridge and nut slots if the uke was initially built for re-entrant tuning then chances are that the slots will need to be widened, and sometimes you will also need some compensation of the saddle if intonation goes off.
    Last edited by merlin666; 06-20-2020 at 11:31 AM.

The big issue with adding a wound low G to the three remaining florocarbon strings is the difference in tone bewtween the two materials. As you have already found out. Florocarbon low G is hard to fit, as again you have found out.

The solution is to add a wound C string with the e and a florocarbon remaining. This balances out the sound bery well and makes a world of difference. Every one of my tenors, as well as baritones have a wound 4th and 3rd string. A friend hates low G and teases those of us who play them. But he was so surprised to like the sound of mine. I explained about the two wound strings and he understood.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Most of the wound Low-G strings will fit the slots in the nut of your tenor.

The plain Low-G fluorocarbon strings tend to be thicker and may not fit the slot.

The plain Low-G strings from Living Waters is 0.91mm (0.036in). It's close, so it may or may not fit the slot. Individual Low-G strings are usually offered at UkeRepublic.com
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    ...I was not aware that d'addario had a set with low G plain fluorocarbon so am curious what set that was...
    Here you go:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Last edited by NAFIGATOR; 06-20-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    The solution is to add a wound C string with the e and a fluorocarbon remaining. This balances out the sound very well and makes a world of difference. ...
    Thank you Dave. Would you recommend any specific set with two wound strings. Or a single wound string that would be a good match for a Fremont Soloist low G I already have? Thank you.

As a wound string-a-phobe I'm flourocarbon only and I use Worth low Gs which are .0358 so they may fit for you as well. I have Uke Logics to be delivered on Wednesday so maybe I could give you some thoughts after those get here. I am very, very happy with the Uke Logic high G set.

Try the Aquila Red low G. The unwound one that is sold separately, not the wound one that comes as part of a set. It isn't my favorite, but you might like it because it is thinner than many options and doesn't have the boominess of wound low G strings.

I'm not a fan of the feel of wound low G strings, though I like the rich, full sound of them. I have a uke that was strung with Kooalau Mahanas, wound low G and C, and switched to a Living Water set. The sound is still rich and full, without any loss of the lower end. And no more squeaking. And I just replaced a flame maple uke strung with high G Aquilas, which felt thick and made the uke sound plasticy. I put on Uke Logic Low G Low Tension. Wow, this maple uke sings now! The tone is wonderful, the tension is not too loose, the feel is smooth and comfortable, and no squeaks. Pmorey, I think you'll like the Uke Logics a lot. These are my new favorite strings, and I think they will sound great on most, if not all, of my ukes. To Nafigator, what are the other 3 strings on the uke? I would try a complete set, as merlin666 suggested, for a balanced tone.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

I have developed a nice combination of wound low g with the Daddario carbon set you mentioned. Please send me a message I will tell you all about it

There may be a chance to order it as a custom set from my store so I can’t totally divulge publicly at the moment. Along with some other custom Daddario string sets.
    Wood Vibrations Music
    Dealer of Fine Classical Guitars & Ukuleles
    Woodvibrationsmusic.com
    @woodvibrationsmusic

Thread Information