Low G sting options

NAFIGATOR

Reaction score
Hello guys! So, here is what I have :D

Some time ago it tried a low G option on my tenors and while it was fun I didn't like it as for some reason it would sound odd compare to other three strings. I like fluorocarbon strings in general and used a set of D'Addario fluorocarbon's with low G. At that time someone suggested I may like Fremont Soloist wounded low G better. I bought it and tried it. Indeed it was a little better, but it still sounded a kind of odds. So, I took it off and left it in the drawer.

Recently I bought a new high end Mahogany uke. After playing with it for a few days I remembered about Fremont Soloist low G sitting in the drawer. I put it on and I like the sound. It still sounds just a bit odd, but much less so than before on other ukes. So, I wanted to try a fluorocarbon low G, but it did not fit at the bridge, as the slot is too narrow for the diameter of the string!

So my question is: would you have any recommendations for other low G strings I can try? It has to be thinner, like Fremont, but may be some other brands/ materials? I'd like to try a few and see which one I like best. (For reference Fremont I have is 0.031 in)

Thank you.

If you bought the low G in itself and not as part of a carefully matched set then it is no surprise that it sounded different than the other three strings. Though with wound strings they change over time when they are really crisp new and then mellow out before they fall apart. I was not aware that d'addario had a set with low G plain fluorocarbon so am curious what set that was.

As for bridge and nut slots if the uke was initially built for re-entrant tuning then chances are that the slots will need to be widened, and sometimes you will also need some compensation of the saddle if intonation goes off.

Last edited:
The big issue with adding a wound low G to the three remaining florocarbon strings is the difference in tone bewtween the two materials. As you have already found out. Florocarbon low G is hard to fit, as again you have found out.

The solution is to add a wound C string with the e and a florocarbon remaining. This balances out the sound bery well and makes a world of difference. Every one of my tenors, as well as baritones have a wound 4th and 3rd string. A friend hates low G and teases those of us who play them. But he was so surprised to like the sound of mine. I explained about the two wound strings and he understood.

Most of the wound Low-G strings will fit the slots in the nut of your tenor.

The plain Low-G fluorocarbon strings tend to be thicker and may not fit the slot.

The plain Low-G strings from Living Waters is 0.91mm (0.036in). It's close, so it may or may not fit the slot. Individual Low-G strings are usually offered at UkeRepublic.com

The solution is to add a wound C string with the e and a fluorocarbon remaining. This balances out the sound very well and makes a world of difference. ...

Thank you Dave. Would you recommend any specific set with two wound strings. Or a single wound string that would be a good match for a Fremont Soloist low G I already have? Thank you.

As a wound string-a-phobe I'm flourocarbon only and I use Worth low Gs which are .0358 so they may fit for you as well. I have Uke Logics to be delivered on Wednesday so maybe I could give you some thoughts after those get here. I am very, very happy with the Uke Logic high G set.

Try the Aquila Red low G. The unwound one that is sold separately, not the wound one that comes as part of a set. It isn't my favorite, but you might like it because it is thinner than many options and doesn't have the boominess of wound low G strings.

I'm not a fan of the feel of wound low G strings, though I like the rich, full sound of them. I have a uke that was strung with Kooalau Mahanas, wound low G and C, and switched to a Living Water set. The sound is still rich and full, without any loss of the lower end. And no more squeaking. And I just replaced a flame maple uke strung with high G Aquilas, which felt thick and made the uke sound plasticy. I put on Uke Logic Low G Low Tension. Wow, this maple uke sings now! The tone is wonderful, the tension is not too loose, the feel is smooth and comfortable, and no squeaks. Pmorey, I think you'll like the Uke Logics a lot. These are my new favorite strings, and I think they will sound great on most, if not all, of my ukes. To Nafigator, what are the other 3 strings on the uke? I would try a complete set, as merlin666 suggested, for a balanced tone.

I have developed a nice combination of wound low g with the Daddario carbon set you mentioned. Please send me a message I will tell you all about it :)

There may be a chance to order it as a custom set from my store so I can’t totally divulge publicly at the moment. Along with some other custom Daddario string sets.

Thank you Dave. Would you recommend any specific set with two wound strings. Or a single wound string that would be a good match for a Fremont Soloist low G I already have? Thank you.

I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and here are three strings that work very well as a wound C string. Thomastik Infeld CF27, D’Addario NYL026W and my favorite Savarez N 527 R. All three are classical guitars strings and they can be purchased from “String by Mail”.

I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and here are three strings that work very well as a wound C string. Thomastik Infeld CF27, D’Addario NYL026W and my favorite Savarez N 527 R. All three are classical guitars strings and they can be purchased from “String by Mail”.

I bought a few of the 026W as replacement for the low A on my six string but didn't have to try them yet. I thought they might fit well soundwise with the Nylguts I use. How many hours of playing time do you get out of them?

Last edited:
I bought a few of the 026W as replacement for the low A on my six string but didn't have to try them yet. I thought they might fit well soundwise with the Nylguts I use. How many hours of playing time do you get out of them?

When I was playing a lot, many 3 months before they started to sound a bit dull. The Thomastik last a very long time, 8-12 months or more.

As a disclaimer none of my ukes get hours of play a day. When the variety of instruments I own I like to spread the love around

Hmmm... instead of cobbling together a set on your own, you can get a *pre-cobbled set* with wound C & wound low G at HERE. Set is composed of:

1st: Savarez Alliance KF 541R - (A) normal tension .0244
2nd: Savarez Alliance KF 542R - (E) normal tension .0272
3rd: Thomastik-Infeld CF27 - 3rd string (C) .027 chrome steel flat wound
4th: Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (Low G) .030 chrome steel flat wound

These are all ukulele strings (not classical guitar strings). Pricey!!! (Cost = $16.18). I use them on my Ohana pineapple all-hog tenor.

By the way, "wound" sounds like an injury. IMO, wound strings should be wownd strings. Just saying........

Last edited:
Hmmm... instead of cobbling together a set on your own, you can get a *pre-cobbled set* with wound C & wound low G at HERE. Set is composed of:

1st: Savarez Alliance KF 541R - (A) normal tension .0244
2nd: Savarez Alliance KF 542R - (E) normal tension .0272
3rd: Thomastik-Infeld CF27 - 3rd string (C) .027 chrome steel flat wound
4th: Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (Low G) .030 chrome steel flat wound

These are all ukulele strings (not classical guitar strings). Pricey!!! (Cost = $16.18). I use them on my Ohana pineapple all-hog tenor.

By the way, "wound" sounds like an injury. IMO, wound strings should be wownd strings. Just saying........

I just saw that yesterday when I visited StringsByMail and thought I'd try the Savarez strings, since they are what Collings used on their ukes. I noticed this was a custom mix put together by our UU Forum member Hollis Dwyer. And I bought one. Thanks Hollis for putting it together, and thanks Bellgamin for linking it.

For a wound low G I also like the GHS that Kanile'a is using. GHS also has carbon sets that may include plain low G. I prefer plain strings as they last much longer and will also fit better with the rest of the strings. Changing bridge or nut slots is not a big deal and won't affect it if you go back to thin re-entrant.

Gentlemen, I want to thank you all for different options you have offered. I am about to place an order on a bunch of different 3rd and 4th strings based on your recommendations. That should keep me busy for at least a few weeks. :D:D:D:

Thanks again!

Gentlemen, I want to thank you all for different options you have offered. I am about to place an order on a bunch of different 3rd and 4th strings based on your recommendations. That should keep me busy for at least a few weeks. :D:D:D:

Thanks again!

Good luck. Please post comparison experience.

I recently widened the G slot to accommodate a low G from a set of PhDs...(https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?82373-PhD-Ukulele-Strings). The PhD low-G is very similar in diameter to the Fremont black Low-G, but less mushy, IMO. I don’t think single low-G PhDs are readily available.

Bridge: The slot was on a thermoplastic magic fluke flea... though I would feel comfortable widening the slot bridge on my old Kamaka soprano. Used very very fine grit sand paper, after protecting the rest of the uke, per suggestions from MF.

I was asked to provide a review once I try all the string I bought. So, here is quick review of the "first impression".
I received the strings today and put them on and off in different combinations. Here is how I approached it.
I've decided not to mess with A and E strings and kept Martin Fluorocarbons. For the 3rd string I bought Thomastik Infeld CF27 and D’Addario NYL026W. For the 4th string I bought Thomastik-Infeld CF30 and Fremont Soloist. I also asked my wife to listen to all combinations for a second opinion. So, after a few hours of constant string changes and re-tuning I think I may be on the verge of a divorce :)))

First I tried Thomastik Infeld CF27 and Thomastik-Infeld CF30. The sound became more balanced, but a little dull. It's kind of hard to explain, but uke started to sound more like a classical guitar. Not bright, but pretty balanced. So, I liked the balance, but wasn't impressed with the sound. It looks like Thomastik strings are flat-wound. This may be why I hear some dullness.

Then I tried D’Addario NYL026W and Fremont Soloist. The sound became brighter, while still being warm. I liked the sound better, but the balance was not as good. 4th string was more pronounced again. This is the issue I was fighting initially. It was still an improvement compare to three Fluorocarbon strings and one wound though.

And finally I used D’Addario NYL026W and Thomastik-Infeld CF30. I think with this combination I achieved the best results. D'Addario is a brighter string, so it added some brightness and Thomastik is a little more dull, so the 4th string didn't stick out so much.

From the stand point of sound and balance I'm pretty happy now. The only complaint I have is that D'Addario is a bit noisy when I slide my finger during finger-picking. When strumming, it's perfect sound and balance. So, there, I guess this is as good as it gets for me. I am going to play this combination for a few days and then perhaps try again and see if my impression will be any different.

P.S. As a disclaimer: sound is a very personal thing, what sounds bring to me may sound dull to you and so on and so force. It also heavily depends on the particular instrument. But I think when you pay for a uke the price that can buy you an all solid wood guitar it's worth spending $20 to try different things. And it's a lot of fun. Thank you all for your recommendations.

Top Bottom