Low G sting options

From the stand point of sound and balance I'm pretty happy now. The only complaint I have is that D'Addario is a bit noisy when I slide my finger during finger-picking. When strumming, it's perfect sound and balance. So, there, I guess this is as good as it gets for me. I am going to play this combination for a few days and then perhaps try again and see if my impression will be any different.

P.S. As a disclaimer: sound is a very personal thing, what sounds bring to me may sound dull to you and so on and so force. It also heavily depends on the particular instrument. But I think when you pay for a uke the price that can buy you an all solid wood guitar it's worth spending $20 to try different things. And it's a lot of fun. Thank you all for your recommendations.

The noise is why I stopped using wound 3rd and 4th strings. The Ko'alou Mahana set I had sounded balanced in tone otherwise, but I hated the noise the wound strings made on my Kanilea tenor. So far I've been pretty happy with the Living Water low G and Uke Logic Low Tension low G sets I've changed some tenors to - no squeak. The Living Waters are on my Kanilea. I didn't want to lose the full, rich sound it had. It still as a nice, full low end, and the 3rd and 4th are well balanced with the other strings. As you say, sound is so objective.

Thanks for the review. Are you saying that you tune the D'Addario to C? I intend to use them for a low A, so if tension is fine for a C I wonder if A will be too floppy.

Thanks for the review. Are you saying that you tune the D'Addario to C? I intend to use them for a low A, so if tension is fine for a C I wonder if A will be too floppy.

I am using DAddario for the 3rd string tuned to C. I am not aware of the tuning where it could be A. But I just tuned it down to A, just to check for you and it seems to be ok. Less tention, but not too floppy. You should be fine, I think.

Top Bottom