Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low G sting options

Quote Originally Posted by NAFIGATOR View Post
    From the stand point of sound and balance I'm pretty happy now. The only complaint I have is that D'Addario is a bit noisy when I slide my finger during finger-picking. When strumming, it's perfect sound and balance. So, there, I guess this is as good as it gets for me. I am going to play this combination for a few days and then perhaps try again and see if my impression will be any different.

P.S. As a disclaimer: sound is a very personal thing, what sounds bring to me may sound dull to you and so on and so force. It also heavily depends on the particular instrument. But I think when you pay for a uke the price that can buy you an all solid wood guitar it's worth spending $20 to try different things. And it's a lot of fun. Thank you all for your recommendations.
    The noise is why I stopped using wound 3rd and 4th strings. The Ko'alou Mahana set I had sounded balanced in tone otherwise, but I hated the noise the wound strings made on my Kanilea tenor. So far I've been pretty happy with the Living Water low G and Uke Logic Low Tension low G sets I've changed some tenors to - no squeak. The Living Waters are on my Kanilea. I didn't want to lose the full, rich sound it had. It still as a nice, full low end, and the 3rd and 4th are well balanced with the other strings. As you say, sound is so objective.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor spalted mango
    Romero Creations SK koa soprano
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo 5 string tenor #28
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano
    Brad Donaldson cedar/rosewood custom tenor

Thanks for the review. Are you saying that you tune the D'Addario to C? I intend to use them for a low A, so if tension is fine for a C I wonder if A will be too floppy.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Thanks for the review. Are you saying that you tune the D'Addario to C? I intend to use them for a low A, so if tension is fine for a C I wonder if A will be too floppy.
    I am using DAddario for the 3rd string tuned to C. I am not aware of the tuning where it could be A. But I just tuned it down to A, just to check for you and it seems to be ok. Less tention, but not too floppy. You should be fine, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NAFIGATOR View Post
    I am using DAddario for the 3rd string tuned to C. I am not aware of the tuning where it could be A. But I just tuned it down to A, just to check for you and it seems to be ok. Less tention, but not too floppy. You should be fine, I think.
    Great, thanks for checking.

Thread Information