Off topic: Carol Kaye, recording artists for guitar and base

I just discovered her myself through the wings of pegasus channel. Incredible that someone this important to commercial music is relatively unknown.

I've known about her for a long time (although that's just luck and no credit to me, really) and since we're talking about her, I've always thought that her in her harlequin glasses funking out the Motown beats we all know and love is completely hot. If I were younger and transported back in time, I would totally stand in line to drink her bath water and dedicate my life to her.

If you haven't already, do check out the documentary "The Wrecking Crew" all about the group of LA musicians back in the 60s for which Kaye was one of the main bass players. Fantastic story.

She was good looking in her younger days and toughed it out in a man’s world supporting her mother and her children.

She saw Latin music as the future of pop music because it maintained the beautiful melodies.

She got all her chops and skills from bebop jazz which is super hard. She learned advanced progressions from learning standards and brought those advanced musical ideas to the simpler world of rock and pop.

One of her basic ideas was to not waste time learning scales but rather to learn chord tones. Learn where the root, the third, the fifth and the seventh are for your chords. And, learn fingering runs on those chord tones. You don’t really have to know the names of the notes other than the roots.

If someone gives you a simple blues pattern in C, you know where the Cs, Fs, and Gs are on your fretboard and from there your fingers magically find the thirds, fifths and sevenths without knowing the names of the notes. And when you get into jazz you can flat or sharp your thirds, fifths and sevenths. You can use your seconds, fourths and sixths as passing tones, as approaches as chord extensions, etc.. Knowing your music allows you to take the basic blues up a step and fill it in with substitutions and turn arounds. Knowing your chord tones works for lead and bass.

And we haven’t even mentioned her funky boogaloo sense of rhythm. The woman is a national treasure.

Last edited:
I was a production assistant in the early 1970s on the 'Stand Up and Cheer' TV show. Every week we went into the recording studio to lay down the tracks using a good number of the Wrecking Crew, including Tommy Tedesco. His son Denny produced the documentary in 2008 and as he was putting it together, he asked people who worked with his father to send in any remembrances, I was one. He invited me to the screening and that's when I learned about Carol Kaye.

Since them I've seen other closeups of Carol. Without knowing it, I play the same way on my bass ukes and mini bass guitars as Kimosabe describes, guided by my bass teacher Denny Croy from McCabe's Guitar Shop.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Wow! I had never heard of her.

Thanks for the mention and link Kerneltime. And all of you who commented.

Amazing that the operation allowed her to resume playing after all of those years.

She literally wrote the book on playing electric bass. Indeed,a national treasure.

What operation might that be?

Another musical element she emphasizes is knowing the cycle of fifths which is probably in her case best described as the cycle of fourths as it is the cycle of fifths moving in the counterclockwise direction. The use of the cycle is that it’s how you get from one chord to another moving through keys. It’s a movement used all the time in song progressions.

Everybody knows that the basic movement in Western music is the dominant to the tonic. Once you leave the C chord and get out to the G7 there’s this natural pull back to the C. Well, the cycle expands on that. If you’re in the key of G, G is your tonic and D7 is your dominant. Leave G and get out to D7, shazam, there’s that pull again to get back home to the tonic, the G.

So, what the cycle is telling you is that you can go D7 to G7 to C. Get it?

And furthermore A7 to D7 to G7 to C. Or E7 to A7 to D7 to G7 to C or wherever the heck you wanna go on the cycle. It’s a way to move. Another name for the dominant is the fifth. The fifth of a fifth of a fifth of a fifth works. It’s called using secondary dominants to move. Music is about movement.

Learning the cycle just ain’t that hard. Can you remember the spelling of bead? Can you remember greatest common factor?

B. E. A. D. G. C. F. Bb. Eb. Ab. Db. And the one at the bottom directly below the C is F# aka Gb.

Try cycling use 7th chords. Start anywhere and move a few in counterclockwise direction and when you stop start playing the chords of that key. You’re already on the fifth of that key, the dominant.

That’s what Carol wants you to know. Learn the cycle. It ain’t that hard.

How’s a bass tuned by the way? E A D G. Sure looks like part of the cycle to me.

Watch the documentary about her. She talks about all this stuff. She says it just isn’t that hard. She’s right but then again she adds that genius touch to the mix. I love how she talks about her long friendship with Earl Palmer the great drummer of the Wrecking Crew. She shows such admiration and speaks of how well he raised his children. There’s black and white folks getting along very well together as they should.

Last edited:
What operation might that be?

From the Wikipedia write up that Kerneltime linked. (Which does not state the specific injury, but inferred that her back may have been involved.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Carol Kaye

"...In 1976, she was involved in a car accident, and semi-retired from music. She continued to play sporadically, appearing on J.J. Cale's 1981 album Shades.[2]

"In 1994, Kaye underwent corrective surgery to fix injuries stemming from the accident, and resumed playing and recording.[2] She collaborated with Fender to produce a lighter version of the Precision Bass that reduced strain on her back and made it more comfortable to play."

Citation:
2. Murphy, Bill (August 10, 2012). "Forgotten Heroes: Carol Kaye". Premier Guitar. Retrieved August 9, 2018.

Top Bottom