Chord Melody Books

oldden

Reaction score
Hi,
Any recommendations for fairly simple chord melody books with songs that are well known. Some that I can get in England if possible, with how things are with coronavirus things from abroad don’t always arrive for months. Also, if I may may ask, any links to downloadable music, not pirate, in the same vain.
Oldden

I believe Mike Lynch’s extensive collection of simple-interm. chord melody e books are stIll available thru his website (now handled by his family).

I believe Mike Lynch’s extensive collection of simple-interm. chord melody e books are stIll available thru his website (now handled by his family).

They are indeed. I recently bought Mike Lynch's excellent "Ukulele Solo Instrumentals (Volume 1)" from his and his family's website here. The full catalog is available there as a PDF for full details of the books.

And as already mentioned by Choirguy, Spencer Gay's books are superb.

I highly recommend Mike Lynch’s Chord Melody Collection. There are five volumes containing many familiar tunes, all available in pdf format for email delivery. The link below will take you to a current catalog of Mike’s publications, as well as content lists and prices. (FYI: You get a discount if you buy more than one of Chord Melody e-books.)

https://ukulelemikelynch.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/catalog-v3.1-2020-06-06.pdf

The one book I have of Mike Lynch only uses tabs, there’s no notation, which I find annoying. Mike was a great uke ambassador and player. Check out the song section in this forum there’s lots of good easy chord melodies with tabs and notation!

The one book I have of Mike Lynch only uses tabs, there’s no notation, which I find annoying. Mike was a great uke ambassador and player. Check out the song section in this forum there’s lots of good easy chord melodies with tabs and notation!

I bought Mike Lynch's 5-book set of chord melody songs. They all have tablature and standard notation.

Difficulty level of Mike Lynch's chord melodies are mostly beginner-intermediate level, similar to Spencer Gay's UkeEducation website or Rudi Putter's UkeFever. Mike Lynch's arrangements will work on both low-G and high-G, while the other two favor low-G. Spencer Gay includes lyrics for most of his arrangements while the others do not. The selection of songs from these 3 sources is different, so it doesn't hurt to try them all. Mike Lynch's books do cost money while the others are free downloads.

This has been in threads before, but I’ll just add that James Hill’s course, “Ukulele Way” teaches you the basis for chord melody construction.

Craig Chee & Sarah Maisel are doing a chord melody livestream workshop on Sunday June 28.

I started with one of Mike Lynch's books and eventually got all five. They were quite inexpensive for what I got. Some of the songs are very accessible for beginners and some are a good bit more difficult. Between Lynch and Spenser Gay, if you like American music and standards they pretty much have you covered. I recently tried Rudi Putter's arrangement of "Le Mer" and loved it enough to add it to my list of songs I play from memory.

I know Rudi Putter is active on this board and sadly Mike Lynch is deceased but I know nothing about the very prolific Spenser Gay who I'd love to thank for his outstanding work.

I started with one of Mike Lynch's books and eventually got all five. They were quite inexpensive for what I got. Some of the songs are very accessible for beginners and some are a good bit more difficult. Between Lynch and Spenser Gay, if you like American music and standards they pretty much have you covered. I recently tried Rudi Putter's arrangement of "Le Mer" and loved it enough to add it to my list of songs I play from memory.

I know Rudi Putter is active on this board and sadly Mike Lynch is deceased but I know nothing about the very prolific Spenser Gay who I'd love to thank for his outstanding work.

Spencer Gay regularly posts in some of the ukulele groups on Facebook.

I bought Mike Lynch's 5-book set of chord melody songs. They all have tablature and standard notation.

Difficulty level of Mike Lynch's chord melodies are mostly beginner-intermediate level, similar to Spencer Gay's UkeEducation website or Rudi Putter's UkeFever. Mike Lynch's arrangements will work on both low-G and high-G, while the other two favor low-G. Spencer Gay includes lyrics for most of his arrangements while the others do not. The selection of songs from these 3 sources is different, so it doesn't hurt to try them all. Mike Lynch's books do cost money while the others are free downloads.

Great book, worth its money, but I haven't bought it yet and use free samples of other books. There is indeed a lot of open-source information on this educational site. While I'm preparing my thesis for college, using the service that I found on WritingJudge, I don't have enough time to do this. After graduation, I'll have more time and I'll be able to devote it to my favorite business, and buying these books will be the first thing I start with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom