Strap button shapes.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I currently have 5 ukes only one of which has a strap button. For the first time ever I've ordered a ukulele strap so I may want to put strap buttons on the remaining ukes. When shopping around it got me to wondering about the various shapes of strap buttons. I see that there are the tapered ones that look like the rockets on an Apollo space ship, the various mushroom shapes and the oblong buttons which pretty much covers what's out there. I'm sure that any of them will work and serve their purpose but do any of you out there have a preference of shape? Are there some that hold better or make it easier to take the strap off and on or are they one of those things where it doesn't make a difference and they are pretty much all the same?

I found the oblong D'Addario one to be a total PIA trying to get a stiff strap end over it. If you enlarge the slit in the strap it makes it useless for any other pin.

I like the mushroom-headed ones. But again, some straps just don't go over them easily.

The ones shaped like an Apollo rocket nozzle are pretty good, but some are better than others. Some have a shallow taper to them, so they don't hold very well. Others are made for electric guitars and are quite large. Some have a fair amount of aluminum in them whist others the wall is a little thin. There are some that are solid brass that are nice, but when the protective finish wears off will turn things green.

I'm a big fan of Iluak wood strap pins. Or Waverly pins. They are expensive at around $15 USD apiece. But they look great and can enhance the look of a high end ukulele. They sort of flare out from a narrow waist and hold the strap securely. Unless the strap hole is worn, then a washer lock works well with them.

I like a slightly larger button so the strap doesn't slip off, as has happened to me occasionally. I have a separate strap for each of my 9 ukes and 30 bass ukes/mini bass guitars.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I use a strap on "everything" ... for looks, I prefer the mushroom shape buttons. These are available in at least two sizes and I fit the smaller size to my ukuleles simply because I think anything larger looks out of place on a small instrument. My straps are permanent fixtures on every instrument, so a tight fit is expected and only needs to be dealt with once ... at least it won't fall off!

YMMV - :music:

Top Bottom