finger nail hitting the fretboard; any tricks to avoid?

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem with my down strum where my finger nail hits the fretboard just before hitting the strings. This makes a terrible clicking sound on the recordings.

The video below is a sound file from my recording, since youtube doesn't allow just a sound file, I've included a picture to show where my nail is contacting the fretboard. In this sound file, you can hear a "click" at the beginning on down strums; this is when my nail strikes the fretboard.

I've been practicing to strum more accurately, but the setup is low and hard to aim just for the strings with missing the top string. It's been a few weeks and I'm not making much progress on my own.

Hoping to get some help here...
Thanks!

Really hard to tell without being able to see your complete strumming stroke. I can only guess that you are strumming with too much elbow and too little wrist. Try watching the "how to strum" videos on the Ukulele Underground YouTube channel.

Looks like you're doing a single finger rasgueado with the finger too deep into the string. About 1mm penetration of the fingernail is all you need. I use rasgueado extensively but the entire stroke is executed in the fingers, i.e., no wrist or arm movement, and the fingers start curved (nails near the palm). I can play fast, use one to five fingers depending on the strum, and never hit the fingerboard or soundboard. Besides keeping the strum motion in the fingers, accuracy is improved by starting the strum on the string rather than in the air above the string.

You might also try strumming over the sound hole as you have more room beneath the string.

Last edited:
Based on the photo, it looks like (a) you strum with your index finger, (b) your index finger is at an almost 90 degree angle to the strings. Try bending the knuckle of that finger a little more so that your nail is at more of a 45 degree angle to the strings. This will raise the end of your fingertip a bit and hopefully help keep it from hitting the fretboard before you strum. Good luck! When all else fails, there’s always the thumb. :)

Really hard to tell without being able to see your complete strumming stroke. I can only guess that you are strumming with too much elbow and too little wrist. Try watching the "how to strum" videos on the Ukulele Underground YouTube channel.

No elbow movement because I don't use a strap and need my arm stationary to hold the ukulele when I strum.

Looks like you're doing a single finger rasgueado with the finger too deep into the string. About 1mm penetration of the fingernail is all you need. I use rasgueado extensively but the entire stroke is executed in the fingers, i.e., no wrist or arm movement, and the fingers start curved (nails near the palm). I can play fast, use one to five fingers depending on the strum, and never hit the fingerboard or soundboard. Besides keeping the strum motion in the fingers, accuracy is improved by starting the strum on the string rather than in the air above the string.

You might also try strumming over the sound hole as you have more room beneath the string.

I just gave what you mentioned a try; and, definitely, I'm not hitting the fretboard any more!
But overall, my strum is very soft with just the finger movement. I'll try it out more.

WRT strumming over the sound hole, that'd definitely solve the problem; but it is an uncomfortable position for me.

Last edited:
Based on the photo, it looks like (a) you strum with your index finger, (b) your index finger is at an almost 90 degree angle to the strings. Try bending the knuckle of that finger a little more so that your nail is at more of a 45 degree angle to the strings. This will raise the end of your fingertip a bit and hopefully help keep it from hitting the fretboard before you strum. Good luck! When all else fails, there’s always the thumb. :)

I like this too. I just tried it, and I'm not hitting the fretboard anymore. I'll have to try this more too.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. It's definitely something for me to consider and practice a bit. I'm glad I asked this question now instead of waiting longer. Thanks!!!

No elbow movement because I don't use a strap and need my arm stationary to hold the ukulele when I strum.

Always worthwhile making things difficult for yourself ... makes it feel like you've achieved so much more when you finally succeed ;)

Seriously, though ... fit a strap, the whole experience will be so much easier!

Inevitable, YMMV - :music:

@Jan D and @gochugogi : I no have no clicking sound when I strum. @JanD, I was able to modify my strumming style to incorporate your suggestion immediately; @gochugogi , I'm still working out the details on your suggestion (currently I'm trying no to rotate my wrist too much, but it is hard).

I still have to get used to this new strumming technique, but I'm loving it. Thanks again!

No more clicking sound: Yeah!!!

In this photo, your finger is really high up on the neck also. Your hand may be in this position because you're using your elbow to hold the uke. A strap would help give you the flexibility to bring your hand down a bit more toward the body of the uke.

Always worthwhile making things difficult for yourself ... makes it feel like you've achieved so much more when you finally succeed ;)

Seriously, though ... fit a strap, the whole experience will be so much easier!

Inevitable, YMMV - :music:

Right now, I don't think I'm being held back by not having a strap. Finger style is no issue as my right pinky can support the ukulele; and my strumming isn't fast enough that I feel I can't change chords adequately. If I need to strum at a fast tempo, then a strap will be useful (but I probably won't reach that level for a while).

The strap does take away some of the spontaneity of the ukulele though, so there's a part of me that kind of resist it ATM. But who knows, everything can change as I discover more about the ukulele.

In this photo, your finger is really high up on the neck also. Your hand may be in this position because you're using your elbow to hold the uke. A strap would help give you the flexibility to bring your hand down a bit more toward the body of the uke.

Yes, I noticed this problem when I'm playing a standard soprano and reaching for the high notes. It's like my two hands are about to touch each other. So for the standard soprano, I hold it a bit forward where it sits midway on my forearm.

I am thinking about trying out a strap actually; I've already ordered a sound hole strap. Although my main goal with a strap is to be able to change chords later; however, I think it might solve this issue too. I'm debating on strap using buttons as I don't like the looks of a ukulele with buttons.

.... I'm debating on strap using buttons as I don't like the looks of a ukulele with buttons.

Check out Iluak fine instrument fittings. Go directly to their website (not Amazon), where you’ll see a wide array of lovely buttons. They have a variety of woods to:match your uke and nice optional touches of abalone or MOP and have no visible screw. They come with a tapping tool too, for easy install. So much nicer than metal buttons. NFI

Ukulele Underground has a good video on how to hold your ukulele securely and comfortably without a strap.

Get a strap, only then did I have the freedom to play efficiently under all circumstances.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

fine, fine, your wish is my command; just installed:

IMG_1287.jpg

Top Bottom