Hello from South Africa

KayK

Reaction score
Hi all. I bought a Tanglewood TWT3 concert ukulele about two weeks ago as I have wanted to learn a new instrument for a while now. I bought a Fender Soprano for my daughter a year ago but she won't let me near it. She says I might like it too much and then she won't see it again. I have been playing the piano since age 9. The Tanglewood was cheap and I first wanted to see whether I liked it. I have previously tried to teach myself to play the guitar but gave up very quickly as it was too big and uncomfortable (I am short and have small hands). So far I am really enjoying the ukulele and I think I am in love. Not that I have progressed very much yet but love learning more every day.

I found this forum while looking for reviews/ information on Kaka (Enya) ukuleles. (Promise I am not already looking for a new ukulele :rolleyes:). I ended up reading various posts and searching for tips for a couple of hours. I have decided to join as I found answers to so many of my questions in the forums and saw an awesome community here.

I hope to spend many more happy hours on this forum.

Thank you,

Kay

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, Kay. The forum is filled with lots of good information for players of all levels. Best of luck on your ukulele journey.

Bill

Welcome to UU, KayK!
I hope you'll enjoy learning and maybe playing uke with your daughter!

Hi Kay, welcome!

Thank you so much Ms Bean and Cadia. Ms Bean I hope I will be able to play together with my daughter soon when I have learnt to play a little bit better, she is just not a very patient teacher :rolleyes:;)

Hi Kay, welcome to UU.
You might not be looking for another uke now, but you will....
Resistance is futile!
Never been to S.A., but we watch Call The Midwife, and we learned something about it there.

Hi Nickie,

Thank you very much for the welcome.
I have been "window shopping" a bit and already feel the bug biting... I really do love the sound of the tenors. Also wouldn't mind a better quality than the first one I bought. It sounds okay to me and is in my opinion not a bad ukulele but I have seen much better looking ones and I like the tenor sound... I am considering having one custom built by a South African guy mostly because it would be beautiful and unique (I am such a sucker for a beautiful instrument).
I haven't watched Call the Midwife yet. S.A. is a lovely country with diverse and beautiful cultures and people.

Kay,
Call The Midwife is a BBC television show that has been on for several seasons. I think it's brilliant. There was really only one full episode that took place in SA, but it was very graphic in its depiction of life there.

Hint: when purchasing an upgrade uke, go for sound/tone 1st, ease of play 2nd, and looks 3rd. I'm a sucker for pretty looks too, but it's gotten me in trouble with several people! Ukuleles can be like that.

I agree with Nickie, but the choice of strings is limited as well.

Hi Nickie and fromthee2me,

Thank you for the tips. Will definitely keep that in mind when upgrading. I have ordered one to be made but more as a decorative item - I don't see it as an upgrade. I will be waiting for a proper upgrade after lock-down passes - it is a little difficult to get to a good musical instrument shop during lock-down and my local music shops only stock the cheaper ukulele's and very have limited options available in ukuleles and accessories.

Welcome, I'm new to UU as well. South Africa has a special place in my heart - been to Durban and Joberg a few times! :D

Top Bottom