Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What Uke Would You Choose to Buy Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Here you go:

Attachment 128076 Attachment 128077 Attachment 128078 Attachment 128079

Englemann Spruce Top
    Curly Honduran Mahogany Back & Sides & Neck
    Curly Maple Accenting & Neck Center
    Ebony Fingerboard, Tie Bar Bridge & Accents
    Buffalo Bone 1-3/8" Nut & Saddle
    Living Waters Low-G Strings
    Nice! I'm getting a custom made and considering this wood combo.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

If I had to pick just one, I think it would be my Kremona Coco Concert -- cedar top, Indian rosewood back and sides. With 14 frets to the body and a slimmer neck profile, it feels so comfortable to play and sounds great.

That said. I'm positive UAS would quickly set in and I'd be back out looking for my next Martin.
    Adam

Kamaka HF-1L Long-neck Soprano | Martin C1K | Martin S1 | Kremona Coco Concert | Taconic Cigar Box Ukulele "Bolivar"
    Kala Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor (Low G) | Outdoor Blue Nickel Soprano | Kala Waterman

All my favourite ukes have stories that aren't really about the money.

I'd be happy if my only uke was a Brueko no.5 with an arched back and a thin body. I have other ukes that mean more to me than my Bruko, but that's more to do with the people and places behind them. A little plain Bruko is all the ukulele I would ever need if I could only have one.

Definitely Ken Timms Cuban mahogony soprano, Maurice Dupont 5-string Gypsy style tenor, Anuenue Moon Bird Tenor and National Resonator. If I have to choose one, I star crying. Mission impossible.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    Many of us have many instruments. Some might even argue that some of us (I'm looking at me) have too many instruments. As such, I often find myself thinking, if I could only keep one, which would it be? This answer changes from time to time, but I wanted to alter it slightly.

Consider the following hypothetical situation: due to the work of a nefarious ukulele hater, all of your instruments have been stolen. They are gone forever, with no hope of recovery. Your insurance company, due to unspecified reasons, will give you a blank check to buy one, and only one, instrument, with the following catch: you have to buy the exact same make and model as one of the instruments that was just stolen.

To ask it a different way, and closer to the title, which of your current instruments would you buy again, and why that one?

To be clear, you can buy other instruments later if you would like, and you could just use the insurance company's money to buy the most expensive one you want to replace, if that is the way you want to go. But I guess what I am driving at is, if you had to start your collection all over again, what is the first one you would get?
    What's your answer to the question?

I own an Ohana CK-50MG and a Beansprout. I'd replace the Beansprout, of course.

Well I'm down to 2. I love them both, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Pohaku, if for no other reason than I like the very thin t-frets better than the bar frets on my Weymann. I would have another Pohaku on order long before the insurance payment came through.

I'm only counting ukes here. If I lost my banjo and guitars too that's a tougher call.
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.T View Post
    What's your answer to the question?
    I have been afraid someone would finally ask me to answer my own question. I had been hoping that reading other's responses would help with my own thoughts on the subject. My problem is that the instrument that means the most to me (my Beansprout alto), the instrument I think sounds the best (either my Moonbird or my KoAloha silver, depending on the day, who both just barely edge out the Beansprout), and the instrument that I enjoy playing the most (also changes with the day, but is usually my mango Rebel) are all different instruments.

But if I could only have one, and I were really pressed on the issue, it would probably be my Blackbird Clara. It has the best overlap of sound, playability, and durability. I live in the midwest (Michigan) and the weather here is too often too dry to take most of my good instruments all the places I want to go. Everyone is safe and happy at home, where I control the environment, but if I want to play while camping or traveling, I leave the really nice solid wood ones at home and take Clara with me.

I like other instruments better, but for pure practicality, I would have to go with Clara.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Thomas contra baritone along with my Griffin old style tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    I'll buy the Kala long neck soprano since it works great for strumming... but it's not very good with finger style.
    If I can start all over, as in never having owned a ukulele, I'd just get a Kamaka long neck soprano. That way, I don't have to worry about not liking it.

Ah! A blast from the past!

I've now changed my choice. I will buy the Kamaka HF-1 again.
    Currently, I have a strong preference for the standard soprano size over the others.

Sorry to call you out but every time I notice this thread I wonder what you'd say... I think your answer is very thoughtful.

Thread Information