What Uke Would You Choose to Buy Again?

Interesting question. I might just get a Kala cedar tenor - slotted headstock. And I would hope that my homeowner's policy would cover the loss. : )

Kala cedar top tenor. It happens to be my most expensive uke. I’m in the process of selling off some of my lesser used ones - I’m making room and cash for a ubass.

Me too, would replace my Kala cedar top, tenor cutaway, slotted head, preamp, especially because I could replace the others myself later.

It would have to be the Kamaka Cedar top for me. Took me forever to pay for it and it was a real struggle getting it shipped over from the US.

A tough one. With many contenders.

The one that always stays in the forefront because its sweet, melodic, sound with Low-G Living Waters strings is exactly what I want in a tenor. Others seduce me away for a while. But I always come back to it.

A one-off custom by Mike Pereira (MP Ukulele) Englemann Spruce/Honduran Mahogany Slothead. So, it's irreplaceable.

Not my most expensive. Definitely not the loudest. But overall, it speaks to me more than any other. It's the one I would choose to be stranded on an island with.

If everything was lost, I'd buy this one again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Hmm......if I lost everything I owned......I'd probably just get myself a cedar top concert scale soprano bodied uke....

....I could live with that; low G Living Water strings, of course. :)

Oof, that is a hard question. It would probably be a toss-up between my aNueNue US200 and Kiwaya KTS-7. I think I like the Kiwaya more because I can basically play any style of music on it that I know but the aNueNue is (and was) more difficult to obtain. Maybe I'd spend the insurance money to get the aNueNue at whatever cost/means it would take to acquire one and then I'd spend my own money to get the Kiwaya from one of the shops I know stocks one. What I can say for certain is that I couldn't manage with only one uke, even if I had to start acquiring them all over again.

I own a Kamaka standard tenor and love it’s sound, flat fretboard (slightly wider than 1 3/8”) looks and playability so much, that I’ve ordered a second with the cedar top!! I’ll have one high and one low g, so I would call the new one my buy again.

As a side, don’t know when the new Kamaka will come since the factory shut down March 23:(

Interesting thread. Heaven forbid something like this would happen. I would probably get another Kamaka HF-3 or maybe just take the money to buy a new brand of uke that I haven't had before. Maybe a KTM-25:cool:

I own a Kamaka standard tenor and love it’s sound, flat fretboard (slightly wider than 1 3/8”) looks and playability so much, that I’ve ordered a second with the cedar top!! I’ll have one high and one low g, so I would call the new one my buy again.

As a side, don’t know when the new Kamaka will come since the factory shut down March 23:(

They are open again - HMS have just received 15 (yes 15!) tenors :)

A tough one. With many contenders.

The one that always stays in the forefront because its sweet, melodic, sound with Low-G Living Waters strings is exactly what I want in a tenor. Others seduce me away for a while. But I always come back to it.

A one-off custom by Mike Pereira (MP Ukulele) Englemann Spruce/Honduran Mahogany Slothead. So, it's irreplaceable.

Not my most expensive. Definitely not the loudest. But overall, it speaks to me more than any other. It's the one I would choose to be stranded on an island with.

If everything was lost, I'd buy this one again in a heartbeat.
Kenn, do you have a photo of this uke? I'd love to see it.

I would re buy my I'iwi tenor, same wood same everything

Interesting question. I imagine that most who buy multiple ukes that are the same size do so to acquire different sounds. All of my tenors have something different to offer in terms of sound and playing experience, which is why I wind up playing all of mine fairly equally.

But if I had to choose one, it would be my Anuenue Moon Bird. It’s the most versatile in that it sounds amazing playing different styles.

My KoAloha Opio soprano. The rest of my ukes would likely not get replaced.

Although other comments had me thinking I'd just go back to my first uke, a Kala long neck soprano, and call it a day.

I would have to replace two ukuleles without a doubt - my Anuenue Moon Bird Tenor and my Barron River Baritone. Both are super stars. I have quite a few guitars and ukuleles and the Barron River Baritone ties with one other instrument which is my 1930's Larson Brothers Maurer guitar that vibrates on the wall with the slightest movement in the house. I do worry about a house fire and my top instruments are in tweed cases so I know which ones to grab.

As much as I love my J. Rieck and Kanile’a ‘ukulele, I would scour the market and snap up the next Ko'olau ‘Ulu that came along.

I would have to replace two ukuleles without a doubt - my Anuenue Moon Bird Tenor and my Barron River Baritone. Both are super stars.

I agree with this. Though in my case it would be a tenor (Low G) and a concert (High G). With the two different tunings, sizes, and tonewoods they are completely different instruments, just as a viola is not a violin if not more so.

I’d replace my Kala cedar top tenor, but I’d likely get a different concert.

It would be tough to narrow it down to only one, I very much enjoy playing these 3...
favs2.jpg

I would also replace my KoAloha Opio soprano - if it was available. Mine is the first run sapele version from 2014. It is a wonderful ukulele.

Kenn, do you have a photo of this uke? I'd love to see it.

Here you go:

*1OA Front.jpg *1OA Back.jpg *1Headstock.jpg *1Rosette.jpg

Englemann Spruce Top
Curly Honduran Mahogany Back & Sides & Neck
Curly Maple Accenting & Neck Center
Ebony Fingerboard, Tie Bar Bridge & Accents
Buffalo Bone 1-3/8" Nut & Saddle
Living Waters Low-G Strings

Last edited:
Top Bottom