Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Uke Would You Choose to Buy Again?

Default What Uke Would You Choose to Buy Again?

Many of us have many instruments. Some might even argue that some of us (I'm looking at me) have too many instruments. As such, I often find myself thinking, if I could only keep one, which would it be? This answer changes from time to time, but I wanted to alter it slightly.

Consider the following hypothetical situation: due to the work of a nefarious ukulele hater, all of your instruments have been stolen. They are gone forever, with no hope of recovery. Your insurance company, due to unspecified reasons, will give you a blank check to buy one, and only one, instrument, with the following catch: you have to buy the exact same make and model as one of the instruments that was just stolen.

To ask it a different way, and closer to the title, which of your current instruments would you buy again, and why that one?

To be clear, you can buy other instruments later if you would like, and you could just use the insurance company's money to buy the most expensive one you want to replace, if that is the way you want to go. But I guess what I am driving at is, if you had to start your collection all over again, what is the first one you would get?
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

My Kanilea K-1 tenor, sweet as butter, and my Pono chambered body tenor and baritone electrics. These last two are loud enough for me to practice on unamplified and they’re great through an amp or into my computer and their necks are very easy to work with. For a soprano the Ohana sk38 is pretty darn nice.

Interesting question. I might just get a Kala cedar tenor - slotted headstock. And I would hope that my homeowner's policy would cover the loss. : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

mine are custom and unique. Perhaps I would re-contact the luthiers and have them create something. But right now I'm thinking that I would consider it divine judgment on my music and go in a different direction. Perhaps I would buy a mandolin and pursue that.

I'll buy the Kala long neck soprano since it works great for strumming... but it's not very good with finger style.
    If I can start all over, as in never having owned a ukulele, I'd just get a Kamaka long neck soprano. That way, I don't have to worry about not liking it.
    Last edited by clear; 06-23-2020 at 07:10 PM.

I would replace my Blackbird Clara (includes radiused fretboard). It sounds wonderful as reentrant or linear tuning and I do not pay great attention to its feeding and care.

Some are one-off creations and probably not re-purchasable. Some are production ukes that were meticulously chosen, and I have some some doubts about being able to get the same thing by buying another.

So if your question is: if I could somehow buy the exact same instrument, which would I re-purchase? Maybe my Kamaka concert or UkeSA soprano. But I don't know if I could buy another of the same model. The soprano was a one-off. And I haven't liked other Kamaka concerts as much as mine.

But if your question is: which model would I buy another of if mine were lost? That would probably be my Larrivee baritone or Martin 0X (though both aren't in production anymore). But this might be misleading, because if I lost all my ukes, the Larrivee and Martin aren't amongst the first ukuleles I'd buy, and aren't even my favorites, even though I like them very much and wouldn't hesitate to buy another of them.

If my ukes were lost, and I could not have the exact same ones back, I'd most likely buy models I don't have. Partly because there are some that I'm thinking about getting eventually. Partly because there are some ukes I haven't gotten because they are too similar to what I already own. Partly because there's just a large number of ukes I'd like to try out.

Right now, it's my aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor. Ask me in a couple of weeks and it'll probably be something different. Kind of depends on what music and style I've been playing recently.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

A Scott Wise tenor made from Tasmanian Blackwood. Got it from and passed it on to fellow UU members....sigh!

My Custom Donaldson Concert, a one-of-a-kind instrument. It, of everything I have, is totally irreplaceable.

donaldson.jpg

headstock front.jpg name plate.jpg

So that is the only one I'd want replaced, and I'd want it 100% identical.

Of course, it would be really hard for anyone else to claim that they were the legitimate owner of my instrument...

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information