Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitalele or 1/4 scale classical?

Default Guitalele or 1/4 scale classical?

Im considering my next purchase after my baritone ukulele. I’m thinking either a Guitalele or a quarter scale classical guitar.

Size wise there isn’t a lot of difference. And with the right strings the guitalele can be tuned E to E.

Does anyone have any thoughts about one over the other?

I've never played a 20 inch scale guilele or requinto that sounded good tuned E to E. Yes, you can tune E to E but what a floppy, wimpy sound and feel, even with really heavy strings. G to G (terz) seems to be the sweet spot for the 20" scale but A to A works fine if you can handle the tension. Aria and a few other makers produce alto guitars close to that scale and sound amazing tuned B to B. If you can edge up the scale another inch or two the E to E tuning works a lot better. I reviewed a couple 6-bangers:

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creat...ne6_review.htm

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creations_TT6_review.htm
    Last edited by gochugogi; 06-23-2020 at 12:19 PM.

If you want E-to-E, definitely go 1/4 size or baritone guilele. Although I agree G-to-G is really better. If you want A-to-A, go with tenor guitalele.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

The Yamaha GL1 is a cheap way to try, I really like mine I play uke and classical music on it the string spacing is tighter than a uke but I got use to it , compared to $120 aud tenors it sounds better to my ears.

I just bought a baritone size 20" vsl Pono MB-6 from Hawaii Music Supply. I love it! You can use the hard tension strings that come with it to tune to A-a or G-g or use extra hard tension strings to tune to E-e.

Here is the link to my review of it:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...hogany-Guilele
    Susie
    Pono MB-6
    5 Taylor's and a Martin
    Fingerpickin' since 9/11/73

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    I've never played a 20 inch scale guilele or requinto that sounded good tuned E to E. Yes, you can tune E to E but what a floppy, wimpy sound and feel, even with really heavy strings. G to G (terz) seems to be the sweet spot for the 20" scale but A to A works fine if you can handle the tension. Aria and a few other makers produce alto guitars close to that scale and sound amazing tuned B to B. If you can edge up the scale another inch or two the E to E tuning works a lot better. I reviewed a couple 6-bangers:

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creat...ne6_review.htm

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creations_TT6_review.htm
    This really is an accurate answer. I own a 20” scale Pepe Romero and have played several Cordoba Minis, also 20” scale . None sound great tuned E-E, tuned G-G they do sound wonderful.

I own a Cordoba Cadet which has a 23” scale and is classified as a 3/4 size guitar. It does sound good tuned E-E and I think the 23” scale length is minimum length to have enough string tension to sound good tuned E-E.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

It’s interesting to note that the Tacoma Papoose ( no longer made) was tuned A-A . 19 1/2 scale length .
    “The Papoose was the first guitar Tacoma ever made. It is a voiced instrument, 5 frets shorter than a standard guitar with an offset paisley sound hole and a smaller body. It is tuned A-D-G-C-E-A and essentially acts as a normal guitar with a capo on the 5th fret. The advantage of the papoose is its versatility. It has a full, bright sound without the compromises of string scale of a capoed guitar. It adds a wonderful treble quality in the studio for balancing out layered recordings, and works well as a travel instrument.”
    There are a few on reverb ...
    They feel more like a guitar with a warm sound ( cedar top / mahogany Back and sides. )

I have a Cordoba Mini that I tuned E-E, and while it sounded OK, I ended up tuning it G-G, which I think is the sweet spot for that guitar.

Both my Romero Creations DHO 6 string, and Esteve 6008 Requinto are tuned E-E, and are awesome, particularly the Esteve Requinto, which has essentially a full size classical guitar body with a 535mm scale and 52mm wide fretboard.

interesting discussion, has anyone pulled off the 6th string and made a 5 string ADGBE ?

david

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    interesting discussion, has anyone pulled off the 6th string and made a 5 string ADGBE ?

david
    Well, sorta—I was having a tough time on my Kremona 7-string, tuned B E A D G B E. I removed the 7th string and it played like a champ at E A D G B E...

Thread Information