End of Tinycards

oldden

Reaction score
For people who have never heard of it, Tinycards is a free flash card program including a number of ukulele decks to help in remembering chords etc. It seems that Duolingo who are the owners have decided to end it, probably for financial reasons. There is Anki which is similar, but I think feels very old fashioned. Shame really.
Oldden

Progress?
I'll bet there is a free app for the smartphone that can show chords and also their correct sounds. If not, I'll write one for free.

Hi,
It’s not just for showing the chords. Flash cards are double sided cards showing a question on one side and the answer on the other. It’s just a memory helper thing. Many years ago I programmed a routine in C , it’s a computer language , to do the same thing when I wanted to learn Spanish. Alas my knowledge of C , C++ and the rest has gone the same place as my Spanish.
Oldden

Right, that's what flash cards are. I meant the app can not only show you the chord diagram but also sound out the chord; kind of like one of those old super flash cards with not only a picture but also a magnetic strip that can speak (of all things) Spanish (which I used back in high school during Spanish foreign language lab).

Ah, I still remember the books about Paco and his friends, etc. etc. Can't really remember where Paco lived in the story though. At first I hated Paco. Those Paco books went on for 3 years!! During the 4th years, I think we got another kid, just when I was getting used to Paco and started liking him.

Last edited:
I think I can remember Paco, it’s a long while ago, no idea if he is still going strong. Not sure, but if I remember right, Paco was Mexican and I wanted to learn European Spanish and it’s not quite the same. Some words were rude or an insult, probably totally wrong , but as I say it’s a long time ago.
Oldden

A packet of 3" x 5" index cards is very cheap. Make your own set of cards using a pen and the index cards. Steal the tiny card questions and stuff if you need to, but make sure you respect copyright if you want to make money out of them.

Your own set of index cards will last 100 years without a battery or any need to worry about software upgrades. And 50 cards will easily fit in your pocket.

Better yet, get sheets of index cards for a computer. You make up your cards on the computer and change them as the need arises.

Very true, real cards have their place as do ones on the computer or phone. So just use either at the right time and place to suit what is best for you. Same as real books or ePub ones, real drawing and painting or do it on a laptop. The great thing for me is , if you want to play the ukulele, you have to buy and use a real one, no comparison with anything that even sounds vaguely similar on a computer.
Oldden

I keep the Notecracker Ukulele Chords set of cards in my uke case. Obviously they don't have everything but I find them a very handy reference to help those senior moments!

71G5x3L6GNL._CR204,0,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

For people who have never heard of it, Tinycards is a free flash card program including a number of ukulele decks to help in remembering chords etc. It seems that Duolingo who are the owners have decided to end it, probably for financial reasons. There is Anki which is similar, but I think feels very old fashioned. Shame really.
Oldden

Maybe Quizlet could be an alternative?
https://quizlet.com/features/flashcards

That’s a shame. I never used it for anything ukulele related, but it had some good flash cards for languages and other random things. Most seemed to be user created so quality was hit and miss, but still had the best memory tricks for learning hiragana I’ve come across.

Top Bottom