Ukulele acquisition syndrome

Emmjay

Reaction score
I just purchased another Uke last night, my third in near enough to 12 months. I am currently 47 years old.
I adjusted life span expectation based on my lifestyle and figured i could maybe make 75.

Based on my current pattern it appears I will leave behind two children, 2 nieces and 3 nephews and approximately 87 ukuleles.

Wow, that's a lot of ukuleles; BTW do you own any cats?

I just purchased another Uke last night, my third in near enough to 12 months. I am currently 47 years old.
I adjusted life span expectation based on my lifestyle and figured i could maybe make 75.

Based on my current pattern it appears I will leave behind two children, 2 nieces and 3 nephews and approximately 87 ukuleles.

Sounds good to me! :rofl:

Sounds like a large and happy family, congrats! Be sure to leave a last will and testament so your ukes won't have to fight over your descendants.

... ...Based on my current pattern it appears I will leave behind two children, 2 nieces and 3 nephews and approximately 87 ukuleles.
Uh-oh -- you forgot to add at least 15 grandchildren. Over the years, you give ukuleles to your grandchildren and it will nicely balance off even the worst case of UAS. Or-- in case 1 of your 2 children says you should give their child something other than a ukulele for a change -- then give that grandchild a drum set or a tuba or maybe a bassoon. That'll fix them! :rolleyes:

Hey - I bought and played my first ukulele when I was 48. I'm now 64 and I've had 57 ukes since that first one including my current instruments. So 87 ukes is a very reasonable goal. Enjoy the Journey! And remember, resistance is futile!

OWN a cat? I'm struggling to understand that concept. A stray cat moved in with me a couple of weeks ago. It was his decision. I tried to resist but his determination was stronger than mine. He has gone from being a scruffy hobo to a smart, confident creature. He has got me organised just as he wants. If anything, he owns me.

John Colter23-06-2020 - Freddie.jpg

In the first year I played 7 years ago when I was 63, I had 16 ukes, but at the end of the year I culled them down to 4 of the best ones. Since then I've gone up to 9, so I'm glad I didn't adhere to the calculation, especially because my father lived to 93, my uncle to 101 and my mother is now 99.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

OWN a cat? I'm struggling to understand that concept. A stray cat moved in with me a couple of weeks ago. It was his decision. I tried to resist but his determination was stronger than mine. He has gone from being a scruffy hobo to a smart, confident creature. He has got me organised just as he wants. If anything, he owns me.

Of course he 'owns' you - that's what cats do - you're his personal servant..... :)

Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods

Where's Jerry on this one? He is the authority. Your calculations are based on four a year. But eventually there will be diminished returns. It may slow down after a decade of two. There might even be a year that you don't buy any. And I hesitate to bring it up, but you may at some point lose interest in ukuleles and get rid of them all.So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I would be surprised if you go over fifty of them.

Last edited:
I just purchased another Uke last night, my third in near enough to 12 months.

I wouldn't worry about UAS. At first, if you are serious about the instrument, you'll need a few to compare one another before you know what you like best. It's not like a piano where you might not have the space or money to own a few. The "sounds" are so different between ukes of different sizes, woods, and constructions, it is such a bonus to be able to buy a few and compare them in your home with different strings. I made it up to a dozen before I started to zone in on what I like. I'm now down to 10 and will probably keep it around that number, with changing out a few every so often and keeping my favorite six.

I would say that UAS begins when you buy another ukulele to add to your collection and you can't come up with a good reason to buy it. A worse case of UAS would be when a therapist joins your family members who get together and say to you "Please sit down. We have to talk."

Top Bottom