Outdoor (Ukulele ) Guitar tuned A-A

parlorplayer

Reaction score
I just picked up my Outdoor Guitar ( carbon fiber composite polycarbonate ) made by Outdoor Ukulele in Bend Oregon. I really wanted
A small , tough guitar that I could tune E-E or A-A . Scott and Iain experimented with the strings quite a bit and found the right set that sounds great in A-A . I plan to have this as a “ family instrument “ and
Feel that it’s so versatile in this tuning. One can play guitar chords or ukulele chords with some nice guitalele chords thrown in. I have way too many instruments .(.average player .). but I am picky about sound and intonation. I like finger style and use chiming / harmonics . This seems to do it all. A-A also suits my voice range better. I’m impressed with this instrument :)
Nice to buy local too !

Thanks for explaining this. I seem to have a mental block when it comes to understanding these concepts, but I keep trying. That’s what so nice about this forum :)

Looks like my Pono 6 string guilele is about the same size. I have settled in to the G-g tuning too. It just sounds perfect with that tuning. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The North Carolina Ukulele Academy demo on the oudoorukulele.com site suggests that the outdoor guitar has excellent tonal quality with E-E or even lower pitched tuning. Congrats on your new instrument; sounds like you've got a winner!

Outdoor Ukulele has officially added an outdoor Guitalele to their site . I really enjoy mine .

Outdoor Guitar and Guitalele appear to be the same length and scale, just different strings (hard vs light tension) and higher action on the Guitalele

The North Carolina Ukulele Academy demo on the oudoorukulele.com site suggests that the outdoor guitar has excellent tonal quality with E-E or even lower pitched tuning. Congrats on your new instrument; sounds like you've got a winner!
I concur w NC UA .
Music Quiet village of Japan has a beautiful demo at 0:19 here in slack-key, I think?

Hmmmm. Nice! Probably shouldn't have looked.

I just picked up my Outdoor Guitar ( carbon fiber composite polycarbonate ) made by Outdoor Ukulele in Bend Oregon. I really wanted
A small , tough guitar that I could tune E-E or A-A . Scott and Iain experimented with the strings quite a bit and found the right set that sounds great in A-A . I plan to have this as a “ family instrument “ and
Feel that it’s so versatile in this tuning. One can play guitar chords or ukulele chords with some nice guitalele chords thrown in. I have way too many instruments .(.average player .). but I am picky about sound and intonation. I like finger style and use chiming / harmonics . This seems to do it all. A-A also suits my voice range better. I’m impressed with this instrument :)
Nice to buy local too !
Have you tried E-E tuning? If so, are the strings a bit too loose?
G-G tuning is very nice also.

Top Bottom