Help with tuners on my KoAloha Opio Acacia concert

insula

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help suggest solutions for my new-ish concert uke(purchased in May 2018 @ KoAloha factory from Pops himself). Despite all I've done to help the strings settle in, it not only will not stay in tune, but resists tuning altogether. No amount of tightening screws on the pegs will help, and I am getting very frustrated. I am used to using friction tuners; I have them on two vintage sopranos and a Harmony baritone, and they give me no trouble, just a minor adjustment now & then with a mini Philips head I keep just for that purpose. Is it time to replace the tuners (which always flop back every time I tighten them) with Gotohs or the new Graph Tech Tune-a Lele tuners? I live in New Jersey, and don't want to send the instrument back to KoAloha. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't like friction tuners, but I can live with those on KoAlohas. They should turn easily, but they should not turn on their own. If they are so tight that they are hard to turn, they are too tight. Check the windings on the tuner posts. They shouldn't overlap. Check to see that the strings aren't binding in the nut. Look at how the strings are attached at the bridge. If the strings are slipping or moving at any attachment point, they will get out of tune.

If you are ambitious, you can remove and disassemble the tuners. Do one at a time and keep the parts in order. Everything should be clean. Do not lubricate them. :D

There is lots of info available about cleaning tuners.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...me..69i57j0.7679j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks, Jerry & Bill. I will take a closer look at the strings to see what's happening there before I do anything drastic. I'll also contact KoAloha.

Top Bottom