Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving your ukes.

Default Leaving your ukes.

A comment on another post sort of prompted me. I know that a lot of people value their ukes and are planning to pass them down when they are gone. In my case I'm realistically sure that none of my kids want them. In fact, my son was in the basement over the holidays and I asked him which one in particular he would like when I'm gone and said none of them. If there is any fight it will be over power tools, not musical instruments.

My mom before she passed went around the house putting little pieces of tape on the bottom of stuff with someone's name on everything she wanted to pass down to us. My sister went around and gathered it all up and put them in piles according to who it was supposed to go to. I think one of the saddest things with her passing was to stand there and look at my pile of junk that she wanted me to have.

So I think about it at times. I'm not young. I have not made any plans to pass any uke to any specific kid. I guess if they want one the can take one. I'm pretty sure they won't fight over them. That goes for my other instruments too. They will most likely all just get sold. Writing this makes me think that is perhaps it would be nice if they put them in UU to sell so that my friends here get first shot at them. I think I might make a note of that for them. I'll also put a good price on them for you all. The kids won't know the difference.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have no delusions. I know for certain that no one in my family will want any of my ukes. They'd probably mark them for $25 at the estate sale only to be talked down to $20. The best I'm expecting is to tell them the approximate used value on the market so they get more for them than the $20.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I have no delusions. I know for certain that no one in my family will want any of my ukes. They'd probably mark them for $25 at the estate sale only to be talked down to $20. The best I'm expecting is to tell them the approximate used value on the market so they get more for them than the $20.
    Hey Mike, can you put me down to be contacted at your estate sale? I'll buy a couple of those for $25. Oh, wait a minute . . . I'm older than you.

"Inside a dog", it's too hard to play a ukulele (almost Groucho)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Hey Mike, can you put me down to be contacted at your estate sale? I'll buy a couple of those for $25. Oh, wait a minute . . . I'm older than you.

"Inside a dog", it's too hard to play a ukulele (almost Groucho)
    Who knows, anything can happen in the big life lotto!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Remember to leave behind a note to your spouse to explain what each instrument is actually worth, NOT what you told them you paid for it.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    Remember to leave behind a note to your spouse to explain what each instrument is actually worth, NOT what you told them you paid for it.
    Classic.
    Glenn

Mine will be burnt with me
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

No one in my family plays any musical instruments so they have zero interest in my ukuleles. I have 4 good ukulele playing friends and I have let them pick what they want from my collection. As long as I die first they win the ukulele lottery. The rest will be sold off and the money added to my estate.

I just thought of something, that money could go to a local grade school or high school music program.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I don't have any kids. But my great niece and nephew both play instruments. So they can have their choice.

All but one of my uke-playing friends are older than I. I'll bequeath one to him and to any that are still around.

Otherwise, I'll leave instructions for my wife to offer them here as well. (Great suggestion Rllink.) Letting her know the actual price I paid for them, and what I think they will reasonably sell for.

I think I'll ask her to donate the proceeds to a couple of charities I was involved with.

Hmm, I think I better make a copy of this and write it all out with instructions. With COVID around, ya never know...
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

When I'm dead and gone those things that were mine will go where ever they go......my son does play several instruments so perhaps he will keep and uke or two. Where ever the ukes go, I hope they continue to be played and bring enjoyment to whom ever has them and hears them.......

Thread Information