Saddle leaning toward nut

the.waz

Reaction score
I recently picked up a secondhand Lanikai A/E six-string tenor. It has a solid top, Fishman electronics, and the price was good enough to not fuss about needing a little adjusting.

The one thing I’m having trouble addressing is that the saddle leans forward (toward the nut) in the saddle slot. Predictably, the intonation goes sharp as you fret up the neck; straightening the saddle would move the contact point about 2-3 mm away from the nut, which would help. One contributor seems to be that the piezo element (which looks to be a Fishman Sonicore) is thick and round. Because the element is thick, the saddle sits high in the slot and does not have a lot of vertical contact area with the “walls” of the slot to keep it straight. Because the element is round, it is hard for the saddle to make a nice, straight-down contact on the element. The tension of the strings pulls the top of the saddle forward, and the bottom of the saddle pushes the element into the rear corner.

Yesterday I removed the saddle to take a closer look. I could see the remnants of a marker line on the saddle where someone had obviously set it up to accommodate the thickness of the transducer. I noted that it was not sanded flat; the bottom had a slight bevel to it. My guess is that the bevel was unintentional. If it was intentional, it seemed to me be installed the wrong way; i.e. such that the saddle would lean toward the neck if it were sitting flat. But maybe that is irrelevant because it is not sitting flat, and reversing the saddle did not have any noticeable effect.

All my ideas of how to address this have issues of their own:
- Shim the front or back of the slot to make it narrower (kludgy)
- Rout or file the bottom of slot for the transducer to sit lower (risky)
- File the bottom of the saddle to be concave instead of flat to sit on the element better (never heard of anyone doing this)

Any ideas? Presently the action is dead on 3 mm for all strings at the 12th fret, so there is a little room to bring the saddle down, but not much.

Saddle_lean.jpg

it seems to me that the saddle is just not thick enough for that bridge. You should replace it for one that fits the grove nice and tight. You can buy online blank saddles that you can sand, little by little, until you get the required thickness and height.

I'd tried to keep the bottom as flat as possible (but I've never had to deal with any transducer)

Good luck

Eugenio

All my ideas of how to address this have issues of their own:
- Shim the front or back of the slot to make it narrower (kludgy)
- Rout or file the bottom of slot for the transducer to sit lower (risky)
- File the bottom of the saddle to be concave instead of flat to sit on the element better (never heard of anyone doing this)

Any ideas? Presently the action is dead on 3 mm for all strings at the 12th fret, so there is a little room to bring the saddle down, but not much.

View attachment 128014

Those open trench style bridges are not particularly suitable for rod type pickups. The soft ribbon style (flat) are more suited to the shallow saddle slots of tie bridges, but you will probably prefer to persist with the installed one.

From the photo, it looks as if that slot could be deepened by around 1.5mm without ill-effect.

This can be done safely by fashioning a makeshift trenching tool from a small rectangular piece of plywood and a sharp ~ 1/8 inch chisel. Drill a perpendicular hole through the plywood just big enough to accommodate the tip of the chisel in a forced fit, so that (AFTER REMOVAL from the bridge slot) a light hammer tap can progress the depth setting.
Using the plywood as a depth stop, drag the long edge of the chisel backwards through the slot so that it acts like a scraper on the slot bottom. Use the plywood base to do the dragging, not the chisel handle. This will have to be done in multiple increments, keeping the plywood base in contact with the top of the bridge at all times in order to maintain a completely flat- bottomed trench.

With a better fitting saddle (slightly thicker), and possibly implementing your idea of shaping the underside of the saddle, you should end up with a much improved vertical alignment for intonation.
The pickup will have to be completely removed to do this.

When making the new saddle, sand it to a sliding fit, as if it is at all tight, it will effect the efficiency of the piezo. Some builders say that when the instrument is turned upside down, the saddle should not fall out, but should be easily removed with finger strength.

Thanks for the replies. I intentionally left off idea #4 (cut a new saddle) hoping that someone would have some great easy fix that didn’t involve sanding and shaping from a blank. :D But seeing your replies, I went ahead and did it…and it wasn’t too bad, even if it took a hot minute to remove enough material from the blank to accommodate the element (without deepening the slot). I also ended up putting a slight bevel on the front top of the saddle to move the contact point even further back. And I lowered a couple of the nut slots for which the first fret intonation was sharp.

The lean is gone. I have not tested the pickup yet, but it looks and feels like it’s making better/flatter contact with the element if anything. Action is a hair lower, now ~2.5-2.75 mm at the 12th. Intonation is better but not phenomenal. There is a distribution of sharpness & flatness across various frets and strings, but at this point it does not sound like there are any obvious systematic intonation problems (i.e. consistent across strings and progressive up the neck), so I think that’s all I’m going to get out of shaping the saddle. I cannot really tell when I'm playing, and that's what matters.

bazuku: nice idea for gently and gradually deepening the slot, though I didn't end up needing to. Still, how it came kind of makes the electronics feel like an afterthought. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but if a manufacturer is marketing an instrument as A/E at a premium it would be nice to see the instrument designed to accommodate the electronics better.

Saddle_new.jpg
Saddle_new2.jpg

A well executed remedy.
If you ever have any pickup problems (dead or muted notes), remove the metallic material as your first diagnostic step.

Those open trench style bridges are not particularly suitable for rod type pickups. The soft ribbon style (flat) are more suited to the shallow saddle slots of tie bridges, but you will probably prefer to persist with the installed one.

Pardon the ignorance, but what other type of bridge is there that would be more accommodating of this kind of round transducer? I've certainly seen the flat transducers and agree it would be preferable here. Is there some case where a flat type wouldn't be preferable to round? I just assumed this was a value engineering decision.

If you ever have any pickup problems (dead or muted notes), remove the metallic material as your first diagnostic step.

I didn't take a photo of it, but the pickup part of looks like a flexible braided copper wire (similar to the pic below). Are you saying the braided copper is just some kind of sheathing for a piezoelectric rod underneath?

transducer.JPG

Pardon the ignorance, but what other type of bridge is there that would be more accommodating of this kind of round transducer? I've certainly seen the flat transducers and agree it would be preferable here. Is there some case where a flat type wouldn't be preferable to round? I just assumed this was a value engineering decision.
Apologies if I have created some confusion here.
I should have asked what type of transducer we were discussing.
When I viewed your first photo, I thought that I was seeing the end of a rod/bar type solid transducer. Being primarily designed for acoustic guitar, some of originals were bulky compared to their modern counterparts. On a classical guitar with a typical bridge height of ~ 9-10+ mm these were quite easily accommodated, but for ukulele there was never enough depth in the slot, so it had to be hoed out by a few mm as already described.
One vague theory that circulated for a while, was that the voids around the transducer should be filled to improve harmonics. Like a good servant of other people's ideas, I tried packing with different materials (including epoxy), but noticed none of the promised improvements, and sometimes, some distinct disadvantages.
Hence, I thought the metallic swarf ? that I was seeing in your second post was some sort of exotic packing.

From my understanding, the three types of modern piezo transducers are rod/bar (inflexible), ribbon (flat, and usually used in science and industry) and braided.
Ribbon and braided are commonly confused and are synonymous in many descriptions.
The transducer used in your installation, while being a little bulky for an ukulele tie bridge, is appropriate.

Last edited:
I was forgetting your second question.

This reference is only valid when the transducer has been shortened/modified inexpertly.
The braid is both a signal conductor and an EM interference shield for the piezo layer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom