Song Help Request Looking for Public Domain Song Suggestions...

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm working on a couple of projects to get players going on their first 5 chords, before they go to other resources.

It will contain a free book resource (GCEA is done and is 45 pages) as well as video for instruction.

As this is free, free, free...finding songs from the public domain that people know is a challenge...and ultimately I'm trying to keep kids in mind with the content, too. And I'm trying to avoid religious songs...I love them, but I want people to be able to start from this approach without having to learn religious songs (it will enable them to play religious songs if they so want).

So...I need some help finding some songs for baritone, and thought I would ask the collective mind. I've spend a lot of time looking on lists online. But the main aspects is that they have to match the chords that are being used in the method (at that time), and they have to be in the public domain.

I need at least one song that uses G, C, D7, and Em. I have Down By the Bay...but would like to find something else.

And I could use one more song that uses G, C, D, D7, and Em. Particularly Em and D. I have Red River Valley and Drunken Sailor.

What I'm finding is that a lot of well known public domain tunes don't use the vi chord. It's all over in pop music and songs that are not in the public domain...but that doesn't really help me.

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer!

I teach as well... the two Sing Out! books are fantastic! 1200 songs in each book (Rise up Singing and Rise again) with many in the public domain. Highly recommended. Tons of easy songs, but not every song works because these are guitar chords... But most of the easy ones play fine on a uke.

Bill

By the way: I returned to your site... which I love... and bought you a coffee! I didn't realize this was the same person - sorry! I think I've answered one of your posts recently without realizing I'd been to your blog site a while ago already.

I love the way you come up with DIY solutions for issues we teachers all have: How to store 25 ukes, cheap strings from fishing line, $1 amplifiers... You think exactly like I do!

BTW: I would also recommend the Cordova Tenor as a great student uke. Best sounding $40 uke ever made. I sold mine to a student recently and regret it frequently... the one that got away! A bit bigger for those older students. I agree that the concert size is the sweet spot for teaching, but the tenors are good for students with large hands.

See you in school!

Bill

Hi Bill!

I appreciate the support, but wonder if you are talking about my friend Paul Marchese, who runs Ukulele for Teachers.

I have talked about a lot of these (not so much the fishing string as Aquila KIDS are less expensive than fishing line in bulk) but I know Paul has!

You are correct... I didn't realize that was an outside link on your blog... My bad!

Top Bottom