When "shipped" doesn't mean shipped.

mikelz777

Reaction score
Isn't it frustrating when you order something off of Ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) and you get all excited to get the notice that the item shipped only to find that it hasn't actually shipped?

I bought my first ever strap for my uke so I'm kind of excited about it. I won the auction on Sunday and got notice that it "shipped" on Tuesday. When I checked on the tracking number it stated that a label was created on Tuesday but as of today, Wednesday it still hasn't been dropped off at or picked up by the postal service. Maybe I expect too much because when I sell something on Ebay I literally ship it within 24 hours, more often even sooner. It's still probably going to get here by the estimated delivery date of next Monday but geez, don't get me all excited about it shipping only to sit on it for days before actually shipping it!!

Hey, what strap did you end up getting?

I just installed strap buttons on my ukulele yesterday; and now I'm shopping for a strap. I know I want a thin strap (< 1"; prefer leather, but cotton with leather ends are ok), and the strap has to go down to 36" from hole to hole (most nice looking straps don't seem to go that short).

I must say, playing with a strap is definitely very different than playing without one. I find that I can be a bit sloppy (maybe that's not the right word; maybe "more relaxed") in where I put my ukulele. One benefit of the strap is that I can now just swing my ukulele to my back and carry it, very convenient. (I did bang its headstock on door frames, tables, and misc objects but that's the life of a strapped ukulele until I get more used to it poking out.)

I just installed strap buttons on my ukulele yesterday; and now I'm shopping for a strap. I know I want a thin strap (< 1"; prefer leather, but cotton with leather ends are ok), and the strap has to go down to 36" from hole to hole (most nice looking straps don't seem to go that short).

I must say, playing with a strap is definitely very different than playing without one. I find that I can be a bit sloppy (maybe that's not the right word; maybe "more relaxed") in where I put my ukulele. One benefit of the strap is that I can now just swing my ukulele to my back and carry it, very convenient. (I did bang its headstock on door frames, tables, and misc objects but that's the life of a strapped ukulele until I get more used to it poking out.)

strap.jpg

I got this mandolin strap off of Ebay but it's also available here from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I766MZ0/?coliid=I3TENGTGCYU1KP&colid=37C465BB2Z8IR&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 (At least I hope I got the same strap. The Ebay listing didn't give dimensions but the pictures of the actual strap were identical to the strap in the picture above and in the Amazon listing.)

It's 1/2" wide and the shoulder "pad" is 1-1/2" wide. I think the length goes from 36" to 49" from what I've read from buyer reviews but this looks to be the type of strap where you might be able to punch more holes to get it longer or shorter. Only one of my current ukes has a strap button and to see if I might like a strap, I've been playing my uke with two boot laces tied together to make a very crude ukulele strap. I agree that it feels a lot different playing with one than without one. Having one make jumping to barre chords and 4 finger chords a lot easier without having to support the neck at the same time. I think I'm going to like having a strap. My setup will be one strap button with the other end attached to the headstock. If I like it like I think I will I plan on putting strap buttons on the rest of my ukes as well.

That's the strap I wanted too, but the description said min length is 40".
I'm currently using a 2" wide guitar strap that's very uncomfortable. It is just something lying around the house; same goes for the buttons (actually strap locks).

When I get it I can look it over to see if there is a legitimate way to modify it to enable you to make it shorter. The estimated delivery date is Monday.

... ...When I checked on the tracking number it stated that a label was created on Tuesday but as of today, Wednesday it still hasn't been dropped off at or picked up by the postal service. ... ...
I recently had an Ebay item marked as "shipped" when it only had a tracking number but hadn't been delivered to USPS -- just like your case. 3 weeks later it still hadn't been delivered to USPS but a follow up to seller then to Ebay said item was "in route." If so, USPS didn't know that. I finally got a refund.

I did not rate the seller at all -- good or bad -- because I figured they must have had a personal problem. However, I won't trade with that seller again because of their email saying the item was "in route" even though it was NOT.

When I get it I can look it over to see if there is a legitimate way to modify it to enable you to make it shorter. The estimated delivery date is Monday.

That'd be great; thanks in advance.

I recently had an Ebay item marked as "shipped" when it only had a tracking number but hadn't been delivered to USPS -- just like your case. 3 weeks later it still hadn't been delivered to USPS but a follow up to seller then to Ebay said item was "in route." If so, USPS didn't know that. I finally got a refund.

I did not rate the seller at all -- good or bad -- because I figured they must have had a personal problem. However, I won't trade with that seller again because of their email saying the item was "in route" even though it was NOT.

I don't think your rating would have stayed with the seller since you got refunded. I once bought a new item that was obviously used, so I rated the seller poorly. After the refund, my rating was removed!! Talk about crazy; how can one trust those ebay ratings like this? So I try to avoid ebay unless I must buy there.

I was just thinking about this very topic. Last night I ordered a new switch for my Minn Kota trolling motor on Amazon... it’s quite alarming when I’m bass fishing and my boat is drifting into a fallen tree but the Reverse on my bow mounted trolling motor won’t work. :mad:
Anyway, I got an email telling me it had shipped this morning... same deal, a label had been made but the USPS was still awaiting the item... so, it’s basically a misrepresentation, as far as I’m concerned. And should not be allowed, in my opinion. It’s only been “shipped” when it’s checked in by the carrier that’s going to deliver it.... not when a label has been made for the package.

It’s only been “shipped” when it’s checked in by the carrier that’s going to deliver it.... not when a label has been made for the package.

Yes!! That's exactly it! Why not say, "Item is being prepared for shipment" instead? It's now 4 days since winning the auction and into day 2 since the label has been created and it's still not in the USPS system! Mine isn't a large package so if it already has postage/mailing label it could easily be put in the seller's mailbox for the daily postman to pick up.

Last edited:
Yes!! That's exactly it! Why not say, "Item is being prepared for shipment" instead? It's now 4 days since winning the auction and into day 2 since the label has been created and it's still not in the USPS system! Mine isn't a large package so if it already has postage/mailing label it could easily be put in the seller's mailbox for the daily postman to pick up.

I used to work for an aircraft maintenance shop that was a Cessna service center and we sold a lot of parts. We had a contract with a third party service to pick up packages and deliver them to the regional post office. I don't care how big or small, everything had to wait for them. I know, how hard is it, but that was the way it was. The same third party would take our UPS packages to UPS as well. The UPS driver would drop off packages and leave the ones going out. Maybe he couldn't take them, or it might just have been that we had that contract, but he left them. I don't know the ins and outs, I wasn't in the parts department, I was in flight maintenance. I just know that is how it worked. It is obnoxious though.

If that bothers you, don’t even think of using AliExpress. They’re my Covid dollar store. Who knows what kind of convoluted shipping method they’ll use to ship a $2 item with free shipping. Recently I got a second notification my item was shipped, 6 weeks after the first notification. I’ll still use them for items under $25 that I know I’ll need (if it doesn’t need to be high quality) but don’t need now. And Aliexpress holds payment to the vendor so I’ll get a refund if it doesn’t show up. Of course, remembering 3 months later what didn’t show up and asking for a refund is another story. Sometimes things show up in 2 weeks, but usually over a month.

You want the easy button, stick with Amazon.

You might look into the Uke Leash (guitar style, if you're using a strap button.) They go down to 34".

There are also "kid sized" straps, (I got one from Sherrin's Threads), that go from 26" to 44", from my quick google just now.

@ glennerd - I've had plenty of experience with AliExpress. At least with them, I go into the deal with no expectations that I'm going to get it quickly but for the price paid, I don't really care and I'm fine with the wait. Under normal conditions, I've had pretty good luck with them. Most items would come in 10-14 days. I haven't ordered anything since COVID hit so I don't know how that is affecting things with AliExpress but I probably won't order anything through them for a while.

In the end, this whole "shipped" thing is just another first-world annoyance and no reason to get in a twist about. It's just a strap. It's being shipped first class so whether it makes it in to the USPS system later today or tomorrow it will still most likely get to me by the estimated delivery date of Monday. I'm sure it will all be fine. With the early "shipped" notice I hoped I might have it by the weekend but I'll just have to wait a few more days. :cool:

Top Bottom