Help identifying old uke

SpaceForRent

Reaction score
Can any of you help me identify what we're looking at here with this old soprano? No apparent maker's mark anywhere. Tuners and bridge are not original. It needs a serious cleaning and the frets are pretty worn.

I have the chance to buy it, but am really on the fence. I would want to at least replace the bridge with something more period correct. But I don't know what can of worms that would open up - especially potential damage to the finish that would be apparent with a narrower bridge. If there's a hidden value I'm not seeing, that might help with the decision. I think this is a case of UAS fighting against the knowledge that 'old' doesn't always mean 'valuable'.

received_295034768298298.jpgreceived_298770341254473.jpgreceived_259666638656769.jpg

It could be dreadful, or brilliant. But the repairs are massive. If the bridge was glued on with the wrong stuff, you might need a new top.

I'd pass unless I was happy that it might be a piece of art.

No idea what it is, a shot of the tuners and back of headstock would help.

received_891439521362765.jpg As i said, the tuners aren't original.

Personally, unless it sounded absolutely incredible, and the price was super low, I'd pass, as the work required probably isn't worth it.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I guess I was just looking for confirmation that I wasn't missing some clue that this was a rare find hiding under that grime and wear.

Top Bottom