• Black

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Chrome

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikelz777

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a strap button on my uke but I'm trying to decide what would look better, a black or chrome button. (See pictures below.) This uke originally came with boxy gold tuners and I HATED them. I had them changed out for silver open-geared tuners but I couldn't change out the ferrules for fear of ruining the finish so I have the silver tuning posts coming out of of gold ferrules. It's actually not a bad look if even that noticeable. I'm not a fan of gold so I ruled that out and I'm left wondering if I should go with chrome to match the hardware or black to match the trim/binding?

thumbnail_IMG_2273.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2275.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2277.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2276.jpg

Last edited:
My Cocobolo, has two wooden strap buttons, looks great.

I doubt anybody will notice the difference except for you and those you point at it. Anybody who complains about it is a

I'd probably put silver on to match the hardware (and 'cause I have a few hanging around), or I'd go for the third option and get a wood endpin. Satin may look better than shiny chrome. Or maybe not since the uke looks glossy already.

Black doesn't really suit the "vintage" style of this instrument. I'm debating if silver is the perfect solution, but that was the other choice. The brass mentioned above would be better as an antique brass and wood could look good if it matched the binding.

I am looking for ebony or bone buttons but have so far failed to find any(at a reasonable price) in ukulele size. I think guitar buttons would look awkward on a ukulele.

I have used a violin end pin but it needs a big hole, which I'm not prepared to drill into my better instruments.

Last edited:
Not black. Chrome or a wood that is similar in color, imo. Usually you match the hardware. But you can use whatever you like.

I don't really like the look of wood strap buttons so that option was left off intentionally. Brass would be close to gold so I probably wouldn't go for that. Antique brass might work but it would kind of be adding a new element.

antique.jpg

What kind of strap do you have? I had to go look at my ukulele to see if I had black or chrome buttons. When I looked, I couldn't really see the buttons because I have a nice leather strap and the black button was fairly well camouflaged by the rich darkness of the leather.

Koa buttons look superb!

What kind of strap do you have? I had to go look at my ukulele to see if I had black or chrome buttons. When I looked, I couldn't really see the buttons because I have a nice leather strap and the black button was fairly well camouflaged by the rich darkness of the leather.

None. No strap button.

I'm brand new to the world of straps and strap buttons. Only the latest of my 5 ukes currently has one. I've been playing uke for about 8 years and I've never used a strap. Since I finally had a uke that came with a strap button I thought I'd give it a try to see what it was like. I fashioned a crude strap out of 2 boot laces by tying a slip-loop in one end and just wrapping the other end around the headstock several times. I have to say that I liked it a lot. It made quick transitions to and from barre chords and 4 finger chords so much easier without having to worry about supporting the neck. It basically makes all chord transitions easier and smoother. The beauty of having a strap button is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to but when the time comes and you do want a strap, you're ready to go.

My first strap ever is supposed to be delivered to me on Monday. It's a 1/2" leather mandolin strap in dark chestnut brown. I'll use it for a while with the uke that has a button and if I like it as much as I think I will, I'll add strap buttons to the other 4 ukes. I already have potential strap buttons picked out for 3 of them if I decide to go ahead with the plan but I'm not sure yet what choice to make for this thread's last uke.

Last edited:
Either chrome to match the gears or white to match the tuner handles. Black would not tie in to this uke at all.

I'm also mostly a no strap buttons on my ukes person. But I think they should match something on your uke. Usually it's best if you match the hardware, like some have recommended. But your hardware's sorta two-toned, and you have other options. Aside from chrome and black, and wood, there's also white (off-white?) to match your buttons and purfling (I can't tell if that rope is white).

I'm also mostly a no strap buttons on my ukes person. But I think they should match something on your uke. Usually it's best if you match the hardware, like some have recommended. But your hardware's sorta two-toned, and you have other options. Aside from chrome and black, and wood, there's also white (off-white?) to match your buttons and purfling (I can't tell if that rope is white).

The buttons, trim/purfling and binding are a buff/cream/manila folder color.

I agree with Ivoroid off white to match your Ivoroid binding and tuner buttons.

Iluak makes a nice antique looking set. But they are somewhat expensive at about $35 a pair. But they are excellent. Waverly makes Ivoroid as well.

Last edited:
I'm brand new to the world of straps and strap buttons. Only the latest of my 5 ukes currently has one. I've been playing uke for about 8 years and I've never used a strap. Since I finally had a uke that came with a strap button I thought I'd give it a try to see what it was like. I fashioned a crude strap out of 2 boot laces by tying a slip-loop in one end and just wrapping the other end around the headstock several times. I have to say that I liked it a lot. It made quick transitions to and from barre chords and 4 finger chords so much easier without having to worry about supporting the neck. It basically makes all chord transitions easier and smoother. The beauty of having a strap button is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to but when the time comes and you do want a strap, you're ready to go.

My first strap ever is supposed to be delivered to me on Monday. It's a 1/2" leather mandolin strap in dark chestnut brown. I'll use it for a while with the uke that has a button and if I like it as much as I think I will, I'll add strap buttons to the other 4 ukes. I already have potential strap buttons picked out for 3 of them if I decide to go ahead with the plan but I'm not sure yet what choice to make for this thread's last uke.

Try attaching the tied end under the strings just above the nut, and under the strings between the tuners. (Under the E & C tuner pegs/above the G & A tuner pegs.) To see which is more comfortable and less distracting.

When I used to attach the strap to the headstock, I preferred an additional, small leather strap that has a button on it that replaces the shoestring. Easier to attach & remove your instrument strap. And looks classier too.

I'm brand new to the world of straps and strap buttons. Only the latest of my 5 ukes currently has one. I've been playing uke for about 8 years and I've never used a strap.

Seems like everyone's converting to straps.

The buttons, trim/purfling and binding are a buff/cream/manila folder color.

If you can find strap buttons that match, I think that might look better. I bet you have other colors picked out for your other ukes anyway, might be nice to have something different.

I always match the strap button to the dominant color of the tuning machines, so chrome is my suggestion.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Use whichever you think will sound best.

John Colter

Top Bottom